I'm opening a record store...

Best of luck with this, congrats!

Just curious, I've always figured the used end is where shops make their money, any truth to that?

The other part of that is have you built up used stock or have any means/connections for buying collections?  I think this would be the hardest part about getting a shop going as I cant imagine people are letting quality collections go for anything less then top dollar right now. 

Best of luck with this, congrats!

Just curious, I've always figured the used end is where shops make their money, any truth to that?

The other part of that is have you built up used stock or have any means/connections for buying collections? I think this would be the hardest part about getting a shop going as I cant imagine people are letting quality collections go for anything less then top dollar right now.

yup, for the most part you are correct. Hence why most shops also dabble in used audio equiptment, vinyl etc etc

end of an ear is my jam. I've asked the owner for some advice. Waterloo doesn't worry me, they are cool, but they are the walmart of record stores to me.

end of an ear is actually the first record store i went to where i didn't feel judged by EVERYONE. they actually pick on me for what they call "the weirdest taste in music" they have ever seen. one time i bought a sleep record, the garden state soundtrack and a miles davis LP. we all had a good laugh.

Awesome man. I love that place too. Here in Round Rock we have Piranha Records which is also great. Waterloo is getting too mainstream for me (and their prices seem to be rising),

Good luck and keep us posted. I will definitely buy records from your place.

• 1 month later...

Just got rejected for the first loan, which I expected. It was a HUGE learning experience. I'm giving myself 30 days until a go for the next. time to re-work some shit. 

Did you go to a bank or a broker? I'm working on a similar start-up with two partners. We're about a week away, still learning. Send me a PM if you have any questions or wanna discuss anything.