Powered Speakers Vs. Sonos

Thanks for considering my setup question.

I am a relatively new collector (2 years), and I am trying to plan out a new turntable setup. I recently purchased a U-Turn Orbit Plus turntable. I plan on ordering a Project Audio Phone Box MM pre-amp.

Here's my questions(s):

Does anyone have any experience with setting up a turntable/pre-amp to a Sonos Play:5? I would really like to play music in different rooms throughout my house. Clearly, I'm concerned that there could be audio integrity issues? Any comments on ease of setup? Other suggestions/comments/criticism?

I appreciate any advice you might lend.  B) 

I can think of a lot better ways to spend $400 on hi fi gear than that thing.

+1

It does depend on how many rooms you want to get to and how far from the main system. if it's one wall or floor in any direction then provided your amp has two outputs just wire another set of speakers to it but if it's any more than that then you need to look at different options

The Sonos system is a simple way to get sound all round a house but I wouldn't exactly call it hifi, it's designed to stream compressed audio. The only way to get proper hifi in different rooms is with a wired distribution system but that costs so Sonos whilst still expensive is cheaper but still a compromise audio wise.

Go listen to some Sonos kit if the sound quality is good enough for you then you know what you need to do.

I know a few who have done it with a turntable as I understand one of the systems takes an aux input that you can run a turntable to through a phono stage or you could use the record out from your amplifier or in my case I was going to use the zone 2 output from my AV receiver but it will always be in the knowledge that the sound at the streamed end just isn't as good as the source end.

I have a Sonos whole house system and I have my turn table connected to it. It sounds really nice for what it is and it's intended purposes. The Play:1 is my favorite and I think it sounds amazing for it's size. The 3 does not sound good to me and I like the play 5 much more. 

Like someone mentioned if you are only wanting to do a single sonos speaker then there are much cheaper alternatives. 

When I was looking into whole house audio and wiring and everything, Sonos actually comes out cheaper and is much more modular. 

The selling point with Sonos is to be able to play music from ANY source (actual wired audio, FM radio via TuneIn, pandora, etc.) to any combination of speakers all with a smartphone or computer with a limit of 32 devices. 

Thanks, TooCloseToSee. Of course, I'm in search of genuine HiFi sound. However, I would like to enjoy the music throughout the house. Wiring everything is pretty damn pricey. I entertain a lot, so Sonos seems to make sense. I might go with Sonos on the front end and search for some vintage equipment for the listening room alone. Appreciate the input.