90s Canadian Alternative/CanRock on Vinyl Thread

• 1 month later...

On 04/08/2017 at 9:58 AM, fondfarewell said:

The mystery coloured vinyl for Change of Heart's "Smile" reissue has turned out to be pretty cool:

Hide contents

image2.jpg

Yeah, I like it. I just wish they'd use lime-green for the second LP. Hoping for Steel Teeth on vinyl (my fave album of theirs).

P.S. Label Obscura's The Heavy Blinkers reissue just got released too but I didn't preorder cuz there was no incentive, just a straight-up reissue. I might pick it up in stores but I should listen to it again to see if I like the band as much as I did back in the day.

Edited by armadillo01

• 4 weeks later...

For fans of The Dears, this new box set is pretty cool, and confirms a bigger pressing of End of a Hollywood Bedtime Story (plus future availability of standalone pressings of all three of these albums):

THE DEARS VINYL BOXSET
Exclusive remastered box set release!
First time collected on vinyl
Includes B-Sides, Demos, Outtakes and other Rarities

-Limited to 200 Copies
-Includes an exclusive signed and numbered print within each box

Includes:
End of a Hollywood Bedtime Story (2000)
-First time on vinyl, limited to 750 copies

No Cities Left (2003)
-2LP Release, limited edition of 750 copies

Gang of Losers (2006)
-2LP Release, limited edtion of 750 copies

Extra Tracks
-Exclusive Box Set Release, limited edition of 200 copies. 

Limit 1 per customer. 

SHIPS ON OR AROUND SEPTEMBER 15, 2017. 

Available from both:

https://shop.paperbagrecords.com/collections/vintage-collection/products/the-dears-reissue-box-set-pre-order

https://thedears.store-08.com/featured/de050009-the-dears-vinyl-boxset/ (cheaper for U.S. shipping--just shy of US$110 total)

de050009-the-dears-vinyl-boxset-d-59a086de050009-the-dears-vinyl-boxset-d-59a086

3 hours ago, fondfarewell said:

For fans of The Dears, this new box set is pretty cool, and confirms a bigger pressing of End of a Hollywood Bedtime Story (plus future availability of standalone pressings of all three of these albums):

THE DEARS VINYL BOXSET

-Limited to 200 Copies

Includes:

No Cities Left (2003)

Gang of Losers (2006)

Extra Tracks

Limit 1 per customer. 

Available from both:

https://shop.paperbagrecords.com/collections/vintage-collection/products/the-dears-reissue-box-set-pre-order

https://thedears.store-08.com/featured/de050009-the-dears-vinyl-boxset/ (cheaper for U.S. shipping--just shy of US$110 total)

de050009-the-dears-vinyl-boxset-d-59a086de050009-the-dears-vinyl-boxset-d-59a086

Ordered this with with the quickness.  Been after a copy of No Cities Left since I started collecting and am happy to be able to snag Gang and End too.  Good looking out!

Edited by aopps42

Pretty cool set, I was also lucky enough to snag a signed Hollywood Bedtime when they went up earlier this year. 
Only one I need is No Cities Left, so I'll probably just wait for the wider release of that.

I scored Gang of Losers fairly recently at my local store (Rotate This), so if anyone is still looking for a copy of that, they're probably floating around. It's also still available on Amazon.

3 hours ago, voltagedrop said:

I posted this on the Tragically Hip thread, but I guess it's relevant here too: http://exclaim.ca/music/article/the_tragically_hip_treated_to_comprehensive_vinyl_box_set

Shipping just to Toronto is over $90, which I guess is not that surprising...

$500 box set with $90 shipping. I guess it is 13 albums, but yikes.

I'm sure these will end up in stores.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how new this info is, but the website has the tracklist for the 4th extra tracks LP of that The Dears box set:

Side A

1. Le Pauvre Chanteur From The South Shore (1998)

2. C’est Le Feeling (2001)

3. Lost In The Plot (Original Demo 2001)

4. Will You See The Light? (Instrumental 4-track demo 2002)

Side B

1. Lion’s Share/Howlin’ (Instrumental Original Demo 2004)

2. Lake Of Fire (Demo 2005)

3. There Goes My Outfit (4-Track Demo 2004)

4. Whites Only Party (4-Track Demo 2004)

I really appreciate how, to the best of my knowledge, they're all previously unreleased tracks.  Not so hot on the fact that it's demo-heavy but I can live with it. 

I also want to see their earlier, late 90s stuff reissued, as well as the EP songs, and the handful of b-sides. The album-only (except for the mostly-demos anthology lp) concept for this box set does make it a bit incomplete. Where my Orchestral Pop Noir Romantique at???

Edited by armadillo01

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/08/2017 at 11:26 AM, fondfarewell said:

THE DEARS VINYL BOXSET

-Limited to 200 Copies

Includes:

No Cities Left (2003)

Gang of Losers (2006)

Extra Tracks

Limit 1 per customer. 

Available from both:

I just grabbed my copy. Here are some pics:

jSMC9rH.jpg

azLyw5s.jpg

8tNApw6.jpg

Pros: The print. I usually do not give a single shit about prints, but this one is very nice.

Cons: My major complaint is about the box: 1. No writing on the spine. The only design/writing is on the cover. 2. It's pizza-box grade material. For instance, it feels as if  any liquid dropped on it is going to get absorbed by the paper fibres within seconds so be careful if you mean to take care of the box itself.  3. It's way too big given the content inside. At least half the box is empty space/air. I could likely fit the LPs of both The Dears and Great Lake Swimmers box sets in just one of these tbh. I get the impression this is the standard box for Paper Bag Records so just remember these things suck up way more shelf-space than they need to necessarily.

I think I'm going to sleeve each album (slide the print inside the Extra Tracks lp as an insert) and junk the box (even though that would make reselling this one day more difficult) eventually.

Edited by armadillo01

17 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

jSMC9rH.jpg

azLyw5s.jpg

8tNApw6.jpg

Pros: The print. I usually do not give a single shit about prints, but this one is very nice.

Cons: My major complaint is about the box: 1. No writing on the spine. The only design/writing is on the cover. 2. It's pizza-box grade material. For instance, it feels as if  any liquid dropped on it is going to get absorbed by the paper fibres within seconds so be careful if you mean to take care of the box itself.  3. It's way too big given the content inside. At least half the box is empty space/air. I could likely fit the LPs of both The Dears and Great Lake Swimmers box sets in just one of these tbh. I get the impression this is the standard box for Paper Bag Records so just remember these things suck up way more shelf-space than they need to necessarily.

I think I'm going to sleeve each album (slide the print inside the Extra Tracks lp as an insert) and junk the box (even though that would make reselling this one day more difficult) eventually.

That's extremely disappointing to hear they used such a low quality material for the box.  At over $100, I don't see a reason to cheap out here on that.  Charge an extra $5 if you need to, but that's super disappointing. 

It doesn't even have a ribbon going down the middle to make grabbing the Lps themselves that much easier, either, given that they're sunk halfway into the box . You essentially have to tip the LPs out of the box and catch them with your other hand as they tumble out.

I don't like junking box-set boxes but I've never found one as flimsy as this before. I mean, it's the only box-set box I have that isn't lacquered or otherwise treated with a water-resistant coating of some kind.

Assuming they they stick to the pizza box format (the GLS box-set mock-up sure looks like they are), I think I'll only buy box-sets from this reissue sub-imprint when/if they go on sale. Maybe they'll invest in custom-sized, lacquered boxes if the feedback from fans is negative enough. I get the gimmick (it goes back to the aesthetics of The Paper Bag Princess where the label borrowed its name) but it comes at the expense of us who paid a lot and imagined at least half the cost going towards a sturdier box.

Edited by armadillo01

1 minute ago, armadillo01 said:

It doesn't even have a ribbon going down the middle to make grabbing the Lps themselves that much easier, either, given that they're sunk halfway into the box . You essentially have to tip the LPs out of the box and catch them with your other hand as they tumble out.

I don't like junking box-set boxes but I've never found one as flimsy as this before. I mean, it's the only box-set box I have that isn't lacquered or otherwise treated with a water-resistant coating of some kind.

Assuming they they stick to the pizza box format (the GLS box-set mock-up sure looks like they are), I think I'll only buy box-sets from this reissue sub-imprint when/if they go on sale. Maybe they'll invest in custom-sized, lacquered boxes if the feedback from fans is negative enough. I get the gimmick (it goes back to the aesthetics of The Paper Bag Princess where the label borrowed it's name) but it comes at the expense of us who paid a lot and imagined at least half the cost going towards a sturdier box.

Agree. The only other similar box I have in my collection is this one (which happens to be the only context in which a pizza box is acceptable):

https://www.discogs.com/Fat-Boys-Fat-Boys/release/4054743

1 minute ago, fondfarewell said:

Agree. The only other similar box I have in my collection is this one (which happens to be the only context in which a pizza box is acceptable):

https://www.discogs.com/Fat-Boys-Fat-Boys/release/4054743

Even though I clicked through I lol'd as soon as I read the title in the URL. That's great. I wouldn't throw that box out either.

That reminds me that if there's ever a TMNT soundtrack they should release that in a pizza box, too.

On 9/21/2017 at 1:25 PM, armadillo01 said:

jSMC9rH.jpg

azLyw5s.jpg

8tNApw6.jpg

Curious if you got a shipping notification on this before it showed up?  

I assume not being in Canada mine will arrive later than others, but I was just curious if others were notified that it shipped?  Thanks!

32 minutes ago, aopps42 said:

Curious if you got a shipping notification on this before it showed up?  

I assume not being in Canada mine will arrive later than others, but I was just curious if others were notified that it shipped?  Thanks!

I picked it up from the label's office and skipped shipping.  There's no specific notifications sent to people who preordered that way. At best, their regular newsletter goes out whenever something gets shipped so you have to stay on top of that and just walk in their office during business hours with the order number handy.

If you paid for tracking, though, they ought to have sent you the tracking number at the very least.

• 1 month later...

From Big Wreck's Facebook page:

To Celebrate the 20th anniversary of ‘In Loving Memory Of’, we’ll be releasing a limited edition vinyl for the very first time, as well as a CD with bonus unreleased music and new packaging.

“It was obviously an important album for us because it was our first, and really put us on the map. I think the record stands up today as well as it did then. The songs still resonate with us as much as the more recent albums. It will be fun to play a lot of these older songs that we wouldn't get a chance to play in another setting, and a great opportunity for fans to hear them live. Can't believe it's been twenty years!" – Ian Thornley

Pre-order vinyl here: http://smarturl.it/ILMOVinylPreOrder

23032367_1513237855392294_32660574558791

5 minutes ago, JFA613 said:

From Big Wreck's Facebook page:

To Celebrate the 20th anniversary of ‘In Loving Memory Of’, we’ll be releasing a limited edition vinyl for the very first time, as well as a CD with bonus unreleased music and new packaging.

“It was obviously an important album for us because it was our first, and really put us on the map. I think the record stands up today as well as it did then. The songs still resonate with us as much as the more recent albums. It will be fun to play a lot of these older songs that we wouldn't get a chance to play in another setting, and a great opportunity for fans to hear them live. Can't believe it's been twenty years!" – Ian Thornley

Pre-order vinyl here: http://smarturl.it/ILMOVinylPreOrder

23032367_1513237855392294_32660574558791

Weird, showing as out of stock. I would buy this with the quickness.