Turntable that plays 78s

Hey guys, soooo I bought that Elvis 10" today. I knew when I purchased it that It may end up as a novelty and I'd buy the 7" version that's supposed to come out later. But if I wanted to maybe get a turntable that plays 78s, what would you recommend? My numark has 33/45 and all the other (legit) turntables I've had only have those two speeds. I don't wanna succumb to a piece of crap table just to spin this one. What are some fair priced turntables that play 78s? Not looking to upgrade my entire set up here. Ideally looking for a nice vintage model I can find used somewhere.

I think that the AT-LP120 plays 78s.  Otherwise, I'm sure there are some vintage models available.  Whether they're nice or not is going to vary wildy from piece to piece.  You would pretty much have to dedicate a table just for 78s as there are cart considerations.

I would probably just sell the record.

The Numark TTX (and some other Numark models. Yeah, seem to be made for DJs but whatever) does. Just have to press the 33 and 45 buttons at the same time.

The Numark TTX (and some other Numark models. Yeah, seem to be made for DJs but whatever) does. Just have to press the 33 and 45 buttons at the same time.

Usually the ones that do that show 78 and a line to both buttons but if yours doesn't do that quite a few of the DJ decks use the same motor and controller and I believe it's quite a simple mod if you are at all technical.

78s are actually way awesome to get into, very similar to vinyl in that you would probably be very surprised how good they can sound.

I'm sure before most of us seriously got into vinyl, alot of us had a seriously bad preconception of how records "sounded" due to cartoons, scratchy "record sound effects" in songs, and limited experience with crosleys. But then we all heard the real deal, right? And we know better?

Well, 78's are kinda like that. We've had generations of TV programs with scratchy sound effects coming out of windup phonographs, and reissues of 78-sourced material on CD/LP that has been severely no-noised and band limited.

Few of us ever have the opportunity to hear what they're really capable of. Few turntables that aren't antiquated pieces of junk even have the speed. And then there's the issue of having a proper stylus for them.

They're finicky, and weird, but really wonderful and there's lots of great music that you can't get any other way, or won't sound better any other way. I strongly urge anyone who has a chance to hear one right to take that chance. If you have the speed on your turntable you're already using for LPs, go get another headshell and mount a dedicated cart on it.

The TTX (or TTXUSB) that has been mentioned is probably the best choice for a serious modern 78 table without spending 4 figures on something with an outboard motor power supply which will allow you done control over the speed. Reason being that speeds were not standardized prior to 1925, and "78" could sometimes be 73, and "78" could also sometimes be 84. The LCD display on that turntable allows you to precisely calculate exactly what percentage you are changing the speed by.

If you're buying a 78 turntable to play one record, well... more power to you. I hope you get more use out of it than that. Keep in mind there were reports this was not a true "78" and was actually cut for playback with a microgroove stylus - 78 stylus not necessary.

Most TTs can be modded to play at 78 rpm. Don't ask me how to do it, but I knows its been done a bunch of times.

33 + 45 = 78

It's just a matter of a resistor I believe.

Edit: heres a vid on how to mod a Technics SL-D1

Also a link on how to mod a belt drive TT to play 78 by using electrical tape on the spindle.

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/resources_misc/78_RPM_Changing-modify_existing_33-45-RPM_turntable_to_Play_78-RPM_RECORDS.htm

And another link that shows another way...

http://www.edisonia.com/articles/78/

Probably not a popular choice, but I absolute love my old Califone that was once used in the classroom. My school was going to throw these out, and I demanded they not. I grabbed the 3 they had, gave two to buddies, and kept one for myself. It sounds decent, loud, and I use it predominantly for some porch sitting, when I travel, old 45 previewing, and for 78's. You can still purchase updated needles, easy to fix, etc.  Mono records really sound nice on it.  You can usually score one for under 50 bucks. 

Califone 1430k

Yes, for standard 78s.

Im not sure about the Elvis though. Is it meant to ply with a 78 stylus? Any one know?

Stated in my other post. It's been reported that its cut to play with a microgroove stylus, so it's not really a "78" so much as a record that plays at 78RPM. Your LP stylus will suffice (on this one record)

That said, I can't verify this as I did not score this one on RSD :/