White Vinyl

Just asking a question because this is either just how it is or I'm really unlucky. I've found every, single, solitary white vinyl I've ever bought with the exception of one are always discolored. Whether it looks like it's covered in nicotine stains, sharpie streaks, numerous black dots and discoloations, they're always disgusting and I always regret buying them. Numerous other colored vinyl I buy also seems to always have odd streaks and discolorations. Anyone else? Just me?

Note: Most of the time it doesn't effect play. However, the one I mentioned that looked like a toddler wrote all over it with a sharpie was flat out unplayable and I needed to get a refund. Basically, I just was wondering if this was common and don't feel like running into anymore unplayable colored records.

Most of the white vinyl I have is actually pure white. Def heard this happens a lot with what you're referring to though. Transitioning from 1 color to the next when pressing can leave traces of the previous color. Maybe you just got unlucky with copies where they were pressing black or whatever before yours. Or maybe what you've bought is mixed race vinyl, & there's certainly nothing wrong with diversity. 

Vinyl records are pressed from very small pellets that are melted and stamped. To clean every pellet from the hopper before pressing white records is a time consuming (and shitty) task. If you want them to clean out the hopper there's a charge of about $200. So most of the time you just get streaks instead.

We know you have a choice when searching for information and we thank you for choosing VC Message Boards. Enjoy your stay.

Note: Most of the time it doesn't effect play. However, the one I mentioned that looked like a toddler wrote all over it with a sharpie was flat out unplayable and I needed to get a refund. Basically, I just was wondering if this was common and don't feel like running into anymore unplayable colored records.

It's common, but it's an extremely rare that it's unplayable. I even doubt that it's why your copy unplayable.

Every. Single. Solitary. White. Vinyl. All 3 out of 4 records.

Probably about 10. I just try to avoid buying colored. That, and why would I purposely buy more white vinyl when the first white record I ever get was marked up so bad it was unplayable (or according to another poster, it must've been a coincidence)

...and yes, I understand I'm being mocked.