DEFTONES- GORE (OUT NOW)

I'm kinda glad he doesn't though, because that's a huge part of the Deftones sound. They play these dark, brutal riffs and somehow still manage that dreamy sound. It's an amazing juxtaposition that really works in their favor imo.

For sure, but I feel like the brutal riffs can be toned down a bit and they would still not only sound heavy, but also still sound like the Deftones. I'm guessing that's where the clash in the band is, the band wants to tone it down a bit, but Steph just wants heavy riffs ALL the time.  

Deftones arent metal, sorry man.

To me, they've never been. I can't really comment on the first two albums, since I haven't listened to them in about ten years, but from Pony onwards they pretty much transcended genre, which is what makes them so great in the first place. Sure, stuff like RatsRatsRats and the chorus of Hexagram is heavy as fuck, but some heavy riffage here and there and downtuned 7-string guitars are not metal if you play delay-doused minor chords on them.

I was wondering why the single sucked and had no heaviness.  I hope he eventually starts a new project that has some balls.

http://www.theprp.com/2016/02/23/news/deftones-stephen-carpenter-on-gore-i-didnt-want-to-play-on-the-record-to-begin-with/

Yes, this was linked at the top of this same page.... and you're wrong.

Fuck man. It's sounding more and more like this is going to be the last Deftones full length (unless they ever release Eros)

I doubt it (see below).

Guitarists can be replaced

There's no indication that this is even being considered, or that it would even be needed.

Yeah thats a pretty shit interview on his part. He knows where his money comes from. Chino is out there hyping this record on every radio station and magazine as a united front and then this guy straigjt undermines him publically. Pretty weak.

Deftones arent metal, sorry man.

He's blunt, but there is nothing wrong with what was said.

Here's the thing, The PRP does not link to the actual interview (again, see the first post on this page).  While I wouldn't say they take his words out of context they definitely focus on what they want.  The interviewer made a very good point after the interview:

Writer's Note: I was also able to listen to the new album. Although I have been sworn to secrecy on the specifics (blood oath) I can say that whether you are a fan of the softer melodic sound or the heavy aggressive sound, you will be pleased with both on this album. The sonic diversity is perhaps a result of the creative rifts within the band. Blending the soft and melodic with the heavy and aggressive has always been the trademark of the Deftones' sound and this album does not disappoint. Tension often breeds creativity and brings out the best in a group. That seems to be the case on "Gore."

This makes a lot of sense in regards to what we've heard from Deftones after White Pony.  If Stephen wasn't digging in his heels we'd be a much more melodic Deftones, if the band wasn't pushing Stephen out of his comfort zone we would have a much heavier, chuggyer Deftones.

Personally I think each album is better than the last, the tension has definitely served them well.  The fact that Stephen is open about the musical disagreements but also commenting that he'd never leave makes it sound like they do have a balance that's working.

I have a feeling that when he's referring to things he won't do, I think he means he's not down to have to have the band re-record/rework Chi's work on Eros.

EDIT:  A great example of tension being a positive thing musically is Massive Attack's 'Mezzanine'.  They were at each other's throats during the recording of that album, and went their separate ways for a LONG time afterwards.  It doesn't sound like the tension is anywhere near as bad here.

I feel like we all know that, and Chino has said the same thing about the "Deftones sound" and the mix of melodic and heavy. We've known it for years. The band knows it too. There's a difference between saying THAT and saying "I didn't even want to play guitar on this record". He just sounds whiny. Probably just a bad day for him or the interviewer took things out of context.

Whatever the case, we can't pretend that "I would never leave the band I started, but the band leaving me, I can't control that" has some pretty heavy connotations.

He could have easily said everything he said and followed it up with "but I think that tensions really helped flesh out the project, we took a little of both and came out with a great record" - but he didn't say that.