DEFTONES- GORE (OUT NOW)

Gore was incredibly weak coming off a 4-year wait IMO. I think their best work was done under a time constraint.  I'm glad they didn't play it much on last year's tour. I'm curious what the ratio will be this year. It's a real shame they refuse to play Phantom Bride live.

Hopefully, we get a new album soon instead of another 4-year wait.

Edited by Kanellos

4 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

I feel like you have to be a pretty big Thrice fanboy (or not listened to many albums last year) to call that AOTY...

Couldn't agree more.  I was actually going to comment how that album made virtually no "top 10" lists for 2016, across most publications.  If it's the best thing you heard all year, that's cool.  As a longtime Thrice fanboy, I can say that it was a "fun" record – which isn't necessarily what I look for with a Thrice album – that didn't age or hold up too terribly well.  It's short, shallow, and easily digestible which is basically everything Thrice's best albums were not.  It'd be foolish to expect the same sound from them after such a long break, and I did temper my expectations accordingly... but yeah.  Absolutely nowhere near the pinnacle of music of 2016, for me.

I would throw money at anything Thrice prior to that album, and my wife and I drove hours to see them perform. I loved the direction they were heading with each album. But TBEITBN was terrible. Terrible.

Back on topic: Gore didn't grab me at all. It was okay, but nothing stuck. I should listen again soon.

11 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

Is rise against even relevant or just to 14 year olds who want to rebel against the Government? 

The latter most definitely.

I didn't think Gore was a letdown.  It's pretty consistent throughout and even revisiting it recently, I found myself enjoying it a good bit.  Just as much or more than I had when it was released and saw heavy rotation.

15 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I didn't think Gore was a letdown.  It's pretty consistent throughout and even revisiting it recently, I found myself enjoying it a good bit.  Just as much or more than I had when it was released and saw heavy rotation.

I like it quite a bit.  I'd easily take it over Saturday Night Wrist or Deftones.

Gore lands on my least-favorite album, I think. It has some solid tracks, but it feels very underwhelming. Some tracks don't feel strong at all and leave more to be desired.

Edit: I think that's what the band - and mainly Chino - meant when they were interviewed before the album was released. I remember Chino talking about how when they were writing a song, they decided to take a big left turn away from what they normally do. That might be why I don't like a lot of the tracks.

Edited by HybridxReality

It's amazing how much variation there is in fav Deftones albums. 

I think Gore is one of their best. KNY is their only album post White Pony that I've found to be a real let down. That album did nothing new, didn't have any obvious highlights, and didn't have much of an atmosphere or any real cohesiveness to me either. It's certainly a good album and it has a few nice moments but I was really underwhelmed on first listen, and that hasn't changed no matter how many times I return to the album. 

I know some people who love KNY though. Gore was, for me, phenomenal. Pitura and L(mirl) are a little weak compared to the rest of the album but I feel there are some serious highs: Gore and Rubicon are some of my fav Deftones songs. The album has a great atmosphere and sense of cohesion too, which goes a long way. 

New Thrice was pretty disappointing to me. Some great moments but some of those lyrics were awful. M/M was a much better take on that sound for me, even down to the guitar tone.