[PO NOW] DREDG - Catch Without Arms

Really happy to hear this is being pressed.   The production was a bit over the top, hopefully the vinyl mix/master is better.  It was absolutely crushing to hear "Ode to the Sun" on the CD after hearing it live.  "Ode..." played live has so much dynamic and power.  On the CD version it's so dull and lifeless.  The only song that benefited from the dynamic range compression was "Hungover on a Tuesday" cuz that song just crushes anyway.

Unfortunately this will most likely be pressed from the cd just like Letmotif and El Cielo were :( luckily El Cielo sounds good still but I've been talking with drew and the other dudes about doing a 7" of some cool unreleased live stuff I've got and we got to talking about how they shouldn't have used cd's. He has the master 2" tape so I'm gonna see about getting that hooked up to see if it sounds good still after not being stored the best :/ shall see

Unfortunately this will most likely be pressed from the cd just like Letmotif and El Cielo were :( luckily El Cielo sounds good still but I've been talking with drew and the other dudes about doing a 7" of some cool unreleased live stuff I've got and we got to talking about how they shouldn't have used cd's. He has the master 2" tape so I'm gonna see about getting that hooked up to see if it sounds good still after not being stored the best :/ shall see

I would like to see el Cielo redone with the 2" tape.

Would love to hear it straight from the tape!

Also were there any live recordin's you go that you didn't share on traversing? Any idea if they might include "Stone By Stone," or "Stationary Transient" on the release?

they don't have the master to that interscope owns that. Just 2" for Letmotif, and we don't even know if it sounds good still. If they repress el Cielo I'm making sure they at least use that SACD audio

So much relief about selling my Leitmotif LP and missing out on the El Cielo 2xLP.  I never let go of my PS3 to play my El Cielo SACD though, which is just beautiful.

It's really a shame that labels can't/won't get into doing a digital (24 bit) audiophile remaster thing.  I'd buy the shit out of that.

I'm also curious how often the studio recordings (like individual instrument tracks) are archived vs.  hey we only saved the CD mix as a file.   Speaking as someone who's done graphic design for ten years now... that'd be like saving all of my original Adobe Illustrator files as jpeg... which is just dumb.

I remember asking Gavin at a show before CWA came out if they were going to press any more vinyl besides the Bug Eyes 7".  He said they'd love to, but that the label owns all that stuff and they have literally no interest in letting them do it.  Granted, this was 10 years ago, but it sounds like that still applies here re: original master tapes. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...