Uturn PLUTO Phono preamp coming out in next month.

If you don't mind me asking, how confident are you that It'll be $99? I'm asking because I don't know if you got that information from a source you may have or just speculation. On their Instagram they have just replied that it will be under a 100 but thats about it.

Nevermind, I was lurking though their Facebook and saw a reply to a comment where they said it will probably be $99.

I am still curious to see where it lands in the market. At $99 it'll be twice the price of the Art DJ that they've been hyping up ever since their inception. I personally don't have a problem or any experience with the Art, mind you, but again, it'll be kinda weird to see them push their product for twice the price after they have been so insistent on the DJ Pre and how good of a value it is.

I thought they would have price it a little closer to the Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, which can be had for 80 dollars at a couple of places. I think there is another Pro-Ject that can also be had for a little cheaper.

But who knows, maybe this thing will have specs/performace that make it worth the extra cash.

I should probably reserve judgement until pro reviewers get a hold of it, but my knee-jerk reaction is that the chassis is probably worth more than it's contents.

I don't want to say this is gimmicky, but it seems like a lot of the people that have shown interest in this product in the comments section of U-Turn's social media pages have mentioned getting a Pluto that matches their Orbit, with many even suggesting that they make them available in all the colors available for the plinth.

There were others that said the wanted to support U-Turn given their satisfaction with the company and their service. Which is not a bad thing for the company I guess since it shows that they have managed to build customer loyalty and gain a nice little following. But it does make you wonder if people are sacrificing performance for style or the novelty (maybe thats a better word) of having a preamp to match their tt. 

There are just so many great preamps in the $100 range, this seems like a mistake. maybe at $50, sure, but does anyone have faith they can make a preamp that sounds better than something like an entry model cambridge azur? 

Good point. I was looking at it from the completely opposite direction of how it would stack up against cheaper alternatives, but yes at 100 dollars you're not too far off from a Cambridge 551.

Given that the biggest thing the Orbit had going for it was its affordability compared to the closest Pro-Ject/Music Hall/Rega tt by a significant amount, it seems like they may have got the pricing wrong on this one.

I guess my main point of skepticism is that U-Turn doesn't seem to have the engineering experience/resources required to compete with some of the other players.  Which makes me think they are probably using a pretty generic design and stuffing it in a branded box. 

Regardless, it is certainly smart on their part and I am sure they will sell a lot of them.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like they posted an update on this on Instagram today.  Price seems like it will be $89 available in Black or White.  They said it's still a few weeks away.  

Someone asked how it compares to the Art DJ Pre II they currently sell.  They replied "elegant circuit design and premium components.  More details coming soon!"

• 1 month later...

If anyone is wondering I got mine and have been heavily using it. Its great for its price. A really solid preamp.

How does it stack up volume-wise? I don't have the largest speakers, so usually my DJPre II I had around 0=+2 was a sweet spot. Would hate to drop 100$ on this for it to be kinda too quiet and not use it much.