PO Soon: Modest Mouse - Everywhere & His Nasty Parlour Tricks Repress

I would start with the albums. But if you don't like "long drive", don't give up. Lonesome Crowded West is a fantastic album, and to me sounds completely different.

Long drive was good. I'm sure I'll have to hear it a few more times for it to 'click' or become 'great' in my head, but it was pretty good and had a good set of standout tracks.

@Domain127: Long Drive is my absolute favorite. I also love Moon&Antarctica (check out "the stars are projectors") and We Were Dead and LCW...MM does no wrong. Ever.

Not even Pistol.

On topic: Stoked to own this. Would love Baron von Bullshit too... just for the cover art (and music). Keep 'em coming Brock!

Slightly off topic: I read a recent interview with Brock where he said "someone told me I made $200 last year," (referencing some years ago) and it made me realize that their more recent, incessant touring and all of these represses are probably absolutely necessary for the sake of eating.

Yes. yes we do. ;)

I can definitely see why people would lose their respect/interest/whatever after Good News. I was a little let down by Good News. It's probably my least favorite album of theirs. However, I still like it. It was also at that time in my life where every band I liked was playing on the radio/Mtv and pissing me off because "I knew them first, when they were good", etc. I was (am) pretty dumb at times.

Yes. yes we do. ;)

I can definitely see why people would lose their respect/interest/whatever after Good News. I was a little let down by Good News. It's probably my least favorite album of theirs. However, I still like it. It was also at that time in my life where every band I liked was playing on the radio/Mtv and pissing me off because "I knew them first, when they were good", etc. I was (am) pretty dumb at times.

I can at least still listen to Good News, and somewhat enjoy it. And trust me, there was no one more excited to hear that Johnny 'Motherfucking' Marr was going to be added to the lineup prior to "We Were Dead" or whatever that garbage was called...but it was just such a disappointment :(

I don't dislike it because I think they sold out or whatever, and bands are free to change and evolve in their sound...I just didn't like it. ::shrug::

fair enough. As a real grown-up-adult-person, I'm all about supporting artists that want to change their sound or style or lineup, but when I heard MM on a local radio station, a part of my soul died as a 17 year old music enthusiast (aren't we all that?). Now I don't care about selling out. I want to sell out, but there just isn't anyone buying. I also like WWDBTSES (parts anyway), but it'll never stack up to long drive or lcw. EVER.

#opinions

I like some of WWDBTSES, though it lost me at times, but I'm sorry I just can't get into Strangers to Ourselves. It's just...bad. I mean, Pistol? Come on...

And don't get my wrong, I love modest mouse, it was so much of my youth, but damn I hate them at the same time. I've seen them live four times now, and each and every one of them is hands down the worst show I've ever seen. I kept going back thinking maybe I had a bad show, or maybe he was sick, but no. Time after time, just garbage performances that you can hardly even recognize as Modest Mouse. It's just one of those bands I've sworn off to seeing live, and just appreciate them for their recorded sound. 

I love the band and living in Portlabd I get a chance to see them constantly but I have sworn off seeing them too. Give me a MM show where it's just Isaac, Eric and Jeremy and I'll be there in a second.

Ok, here's my list:

This Is a Long Drive For Someone With Nothing to Think About

Interstate 8

The Fruit That Ate Itself

The Lonesome Crowded West

Building Nothing Out of Something

The Moon & Antarctica

Sad Sappy Sucker

Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks

Good News For People Who Love Bad News

We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank

No One's First, and You're Next

Strangers to Ourselves

Currently listening to Interstate 8. Almost done. Am I missing anything? I left off Baron. Should I tack it on?

Nah, I would say don't. It is a pretty average performance from what I remember. Also, Sad Sappy Sucker was released in like 2001 but is actually early material. The second half gets pretty weird so keep in mind that Isaac was fairly young and it was recorded to an answering machine.I would mostly say just listen to the main albums at first to get a feel and then delve deeper into their other stuff. Either way, they did no wrong for quite a while there so most of it is worth checking out.

Ok, here's my list:

Interstate 8

The Moon & Antarctica

Sad Sappy Sucker

Strangers to Ourselves

Currently listening to Interstate 8. Almost done. Am I missing anything? I left off Baron. Should I tack it on?

Sad Sappy Sucker is their earliest material and it's not essential. You'd most likely lose track by listening to it after M&A, because it doesn't belong there. It's more like a go-to if you love all of their early stuff and want to see the whole picture. Since their albums (and EPs also) are veery long, you might be overwhelmed by listening to all of it from the start. There's essentials, quality additions and a couple throw-aways. You need to decide for yourself which record to put in which category (or if you agree with them at all), but to prevent losing interest because of sheer quantity, I'd recommend starting (chronologically) with the studio albums + Building Nothing. When you started loving some of it there's a whole lot of material to discover additionally.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record in these MM threads so sorry guys, but Sad Sappy Sucker is FAR from unessential and has some of their best stuff on it. But different strokes I guess. I agree to get a feel for their other stuff first and then go back.

Interstate 8

The Moon & Antarctica

[sad Sappy Sucker]

Strangers to Ourselves

Here's where I am now. I'll listen to Lonesome tonight. I'm leaving Sucker in brackets because I haven't decided what to do with it yet.