PO (Soon): Streets of Rage and Shenmue OSTs

Totally missed the chance to do a Phoenix Mirror variant for Shenmue...

I believe the last part (paragraph) is only to do with Streets of Rage.

They've specifically made 2 different posts on Facebook about them today. Says this about Shenmue:

"All copies include a traditional OBI strip, spot varnished cover and a lithographic print. Featuring music by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, Ryuji Iuchi, Osamu Murata and Yuzo Koshiro.

The price is £19.99, across all editions."

Totally in for that red with black splatter for SoR!!

Also, probably not the right place to ask this question, but I never played Shenmue. Didn't have a Dreamcast. Was it actually that good?

I seem to remember for you guys in the states, isn't Mondo or DW handling distribution?

Shenmue's gameplay isn't too strong. Story and music wise it's good. The dialogue and VO are probably campy and dated, been a long time since I've played 1 and 2.

Shenmue's gameplay isn't too strong. Story and music wise it's good. The dialogue and VO are probably campy and dated, been a long time since I've played 1 and 2.

It was just totally mind blowing for when it came out. I'm sure it would still hold up, the gameplay isn't great but it isn't really gameplay oriented. The atmosphere of both games is really unique and incredible. 

Dreamcast in general is just a must have system. It has so many incredible games and even now there is still an awesome shmup being released every few years. 

Sega Saturn rules really hard too. I had a dreamcast as a kid but not a saturn, but I bought one a couple years ago and have been loving it. It's got a lot of incredible games that you can't play anywhere else, even emulated. 

Shenmue is still one of my fave games. The gameplay was unique because it was a "real-time" murder mystery. You had a day job, you could collect toy capsules, play video games at the arcade and then engage in Virtua Fighter style battles! It was one of the first games that launched the "quick-time event" where you had to quickly press whatever button flashed on screen to execute a dash or an attack. The dialogue was and still is very cheesy/bad, but I'm okay with that. The score is beautiful and even as a kid I remember hooking up my Dreamcast to a tape deck and recording songs from the score onto tape (you had a boombox in the game and could purchase tapes at a convenient store that contained pieces of the soundtrack). Also, the graphics were pretty amazing for its time.

I'm just going to say this - Shenmue is my favorite game series/franchise of all time with the Jet Set Radio series being a close second. When Shenmue came out (2000 in the US) it was one of the first console titles to feature open-world style gameplay and a way of playing that you could do whatever you want. The first Shenmue was truly remarkable at the time and the OST is a masterpiece. Another thing about Shenmue is its subtlety. It is a very tranquil game which can be evidenced by its ambiance. There is a time of dusk, 7PM, where the game pauses and plays a short cutscene every night (different scene in each part of the city) with a little tune and the various street lights come on, it's beautiful in its simplicity. As stated above, you do get to have a job in Shenmue 1 and it is driving a forklift at the docks, with each day beginning with a forklift race between you and your co-workers. While Shenmue 2 is a much larger game and available on the XBox, if you don't want to import the UK version for the Dreamcast. The sequel just doesn't have the same understated beauty and resonance the first Shenme has.

There is a word of caution to gamers who have never played Shenmue, the controls are a little wonky and I really don't anticipate any newcomers becoming infatuated with the series as those who originally played it on the Dreamcast and later XBox and didn't know of any better controls.

It also can be thought to be a boring game, but if you go in with an open mind one can enjoy it.

I loved Shenmue too, but it makes me super sad we'll never see a conclusion to the story. Also fuck that book carrying part in 2, so boring.

I'm just going to say this - Shenmue is my favorite game series/franchise of all time with the Jet Set Radio series being a close second.

Yikes, did you only play Dreamcast growing up or something?

Yikes, did you only play Dreamcast growing up or something?

I don't understand this concern? Why couldn't those two franchises be my favorite? To answer your question though, no, I had and played other games and systems. I have other favorites - PlayStation classics Metal Gear Solid series, first few Spyro games, Crash Bandicoot. Sega Genesis Sonic titles among other fun Genesis titles. SNES, the Nintendo 64 is a close second for favorite game console.

Did anyone else run into a glitch in the first Shenmue when you're working on the dock and, if you don't take the exact route marked on the map, the next story event never triggers? I had SO MUCH money before I realized I was going the fast route, not the correct route. I'm bummed part three was never made. Stupid cliffhangers!

Man, after reading everyone's comments on Shenmue, and then reading this article, I genuinely feel like I missed out on something amazing! Like playing Final Fantasy 7 all those years ago for the first time and being amazed at every part of it; from the music to the visuals, to the amazing story, and everything in between.

Think I'm gonna have to pick up a Dreamcast and a copy....

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/02/shenmue-sega-classic-14-years-too-late

Man, after reading everyone's comments on Shenmue, and then reading this article, I genuinely feel like I missed out on something amazing! Like playing Final Fantasy 7 all those years ago for the first time and being amazed at every part of it; from the music to the visuals, to the amazing story, and everything in between.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/02/shenmue-sega-classic-14-years-too-late

It is a pretty hit or miss game with people. I truly enjoyed it, but I can see how other find it boring and tedious. The voice acting is terrible, and you're going to be playing a game you'll never see a conclusion to.

That was a pretty good modern review of Shenmue. Fun fact: I always own a working Dreamcast console at all times. One of my favorite games of all time is Shinya Nishigaki's criminally overlooked Illbleed. It's a hilariously demented gorefest. All of you '80s horror movie fans should do yourself a favor and at least look it up on YouTube. I try to replay it once a year.

Can't speak on Shenmue, but FF7 is arguably the worst FF after the original NES trilogy (and that's due to system limitations only). I really hate FF7.

You guys seen the mock-ups on the Data Discs Facebook page? They look sweet!

Can't speak on Shenmue, but FF7 is arguably the worst FF after the original NES trilogy (and that's due to system limitations only). I really hate FF7.

Oh man, really!? FF7 is one of my all time favourite games, along with MGS1, Zelda ALTTP, and The Last Of Us (among plenty of others). I have to say, I haven't heard many people ever slate the game. I was of the understanding that it was almost universally accepted as being brilliant...