Uptight pricks on Discogs

yup. Happens all the time. And usually when you look at what they listen to you wonder how they came across the release

Yeah I called him out... we'll see what happens. Earlier in the same release a "mod" asked for correction of the tracklisting (1A, 2A... 1B, etc.) which I didn't mind helping out because he himself didn't have a copy to do that. But man... I thought the whole idea was that everyone could edit. haha

wtf is discogs

It's an online dating site dedicated to those who love and listen to vinyl. ;) "Are you missing that one white whale from your collection?" #lonelyvibes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My very first sale got negative feedback because I had sold it at a record store just an hour before the guy put in his order.  He got all pissy saying that I should update my inventory.

Since then I've got three more sales (all positive) and I'm at 75%.  I thank the kind soul who took the chance at my second sale.

Had a buyer send me a short novel on how to properly package a record in order to avoid seam splits. Makes you want to charge extra for shipping.

I think you have a poor attitude as a seller. That's your customer and you should follow their wishes or cancel the order if you cannot meet their expectations. Fact is that many sellers don't know how to ship a record and seam splits occur. Buyer was probably fed up with it and sends the same instructions to all sellers. It's a smart move.

My very first sale got negative feedback because I had sold it at a record store just an hour before the guy put in his order.  He got all pissy saying that I should update my inventory.

That's totally your fault. If you own the store, you should have taken down the listing immediately after the sale. If you sold it to the store, you should have taken down the listing before selling it.

What I meant by "Discogs prick" is someone who polices the new submissions and gets very nitpicky over the rules. Not every release fits the rules as bands can be creative with their formats.

I think you have a poor attitude as a seller. That's your customer and you should follow their wishes or cancel the order if you cannot meet their expectations. Fact is that many sellers don't know how to ship a record and seam splits occur. Buyer was probably fed up with it and sends the same instructions to all sellers. It's a smart move.

Yeah if it's used take the LP out of the jacket and put it in in the poly sleeve with the jacket. If you don't have the used record in a sleeve, put it in one they don't cost all that much.

Yeah if it's used take the LP out of the jacket and put it in in the poly sleeve with the jacket. If you don't have the used record in a sleeve, put it in one they don't cost all that much.

Yeah...

I always send a polite message letting them know that I'm sure they already know how to ship a record, but that I'd like to make sure they ship it the way I would like, to prevent seam splits. I've never had anyone get upset about it.

Edit: Unless they specify how they ship it in their shipping section. I've run across a couple of those recently and I really appreciate it, because I know they know how to send a record.

I like to think that I kill it with customer service on Discogs, here, and wherever but I have ran into situations where I act like a sensitive toddler and read way too into a message from a buyer or seller.  I just type out my stupid response first then I slowly evolve into a normal human being by the 4th draft.  Then I send a nice, cool message and everyone is happy.

I like to think that I kill it with customer service on Discogs, here, and wherever but I have ran into situations where I act like a sensitive toddler and read way too into a message from a buyer or seller.  I just type out my stupid response first then I slowly evolve into a normal human being by the 4th draft.  Then I send a nice, cool message and everyone is happy.

I can attest to bake being quite a gentleman as far as customer interaction and transactions.

It's called being human. Dear lord. Did I say I didn't follow his instructions? Last time I checked this was a thread about ranting.

You guys are very sensitive about seam splits. I can't ever recall getting a record with one

I don't expect everyone to have the same opinion as me but seam splits don't really bother me.  Same with corner dings.

Mildly annoying but I would never return a record because of it or ask for a partial refund (as long as the LP is fine and plays well).  Now, as a seller, I do everything I can to avoid splits/dings or clearly mention them because I do know that lots of people care about the jackets and I think everyone should get a record that is in the same condition as described;  I just opt out of that guarantee as a buyer cause I don't mind too much about jacket condition for my own collection.

I don't expect everyone to have the same opinion as me but seam splits don't really bother me. Same with corner dings.

Mildly annoying but I would never return a record because of it or ask for a partial refund (as long as the LP is fine and plays well). Now, as a seller, I do everything I can to avoid splits/dings or clearly mention them because I do know that lots of people care about the jackets and I think everyone should get a record that is in the same condition as described; I just opt out of that guarantee as a buyer cause I don't mind too much about jacket condition for my own collection.

I have sold about 700 records on discogs. I always pull out of sleeves unless it's a big order and the mailer is tight. Never had anyone complain

I have mail ordered hundreds of records. Can count seam splits and bent corners on both hands. Seam splits seam to be like that when shipped and not from packaging and same with bent corners. Asking someone to pull a record out that doesn't know how to package is pointless

end rant

Nothing is more annoying to me than people that do this. If the seller has good feedback, than it is safe to assume they know how to ship a record.