[PO Now]: Windhand - Grief's Infernal Flower via Relapse released 9/18

That will work out I guess. Aren't you the guy always saying he only likes black records? Why did you even buy this version?

I'm kind of that guy. I generally prefer black but sometimes I see a color variant that I find striking and the copy that was pictured for the green with purple merge (there was no splatter mentioned initially) looked really cool but now that it came out with that splatter effect, it just looks messy and shitty to me.

This looked cool:

windhand_doublemintdeeppurple_364_4.jpg

But what you received doesn't look good to me. They're very different.

Listening to new album right now. Sounds like "Soma" diluted ten times. Pretty boring. Track number 6 is catchy as hell (Soma quality level). Everything before that point is long, slow and monotonous. Kind of disappointing.

You're welcome to your opinion...but slow and repetitive is kind of a staple of the genre. I don't find it monotonous.

My only musical gripes with this album is that would have been nice for them to change it up and play some of the riffs in single note like they do in "Heap Wolves" instead of the constant full bar chord version of the riff to give it a little variation and some of the riffs resemble earlier songs in their catalog a little too closely but to be fair the album as a whole has a very unique feel which sets it apart from earlier LP's. I also think the harmony parts laid over the original vocals could have been mixed a little lower so the primary melody could be more dominant to the listener. The original recording of "Forest Clouds" had this going on and it was more subtle and really effective.

Also, I really think the music would have sounded better with Garrett's own more raw production style. Endino is great and I like a lot of what he's done but I think Windhand's sound is best complimented by Garrett's style of tracking and mixing. If this album had the production from the self-titled, it would be that much more incredible.

I'm still sort of assimilating a few of the shorter songs that sound a little bit samey but I think once I make that distinction in my mind I'll be more comfortable with the album. Overall though, its new Windhand and its a mammoth of an album. I'd have to give it at least 9/10. There's just so much there and its all quality. There are even subtle passages that I hear new with each listen.

My only musical gripes with this album is that would have been nice for them to change it up and play some of the riffs in single note like they do in "Heap Wolves" instead of the constant full bar chord version of the riff to give it a little variation and some of the riffs resemble earlier songs in their catalog a little too closely but to be fair the album as a whole has a very unique feel which sets it apart from earlier LP's. I also think the harmony parts laid over the original vocals could have been mixed a little lower so the primary melody could be more dominant to the listener. The original recording of "Forest Clouds" had this going on and it was more subtle and really effective.

Also, I really think the music would have sounded better with Garrett's own more raw production style. Endino is great and I like a lot of what he's done but I think Windhand's sound is best complimented by Garrett's style of tracking and mixing. If this album had the production from the self-titled, it would be that much more incredible.

I'm still sort of assimilating a few of the shorter songs that sound a little bit samey but I think once I make that distinction in my mind I'll be more comfortable with the album. Overall though, its new Windhand and its a mammoth of an album. I'd have to give it at least 9/10. There's just so much there and its all quality. There are even subtle passages that I hear new with each listen.

Totally with you on this. The production does indeed sound super clean for a band whose main forte is distorted riffs. But I guess Windhand has reached that level of being truly professional doomsters.

It took more than a few listens to have it really set in. It easily exceeded my expectations that were super high to begin with.

Does anyone know where I can find the lyrics?

Did anyone get an insert or just the gatefold and records?

They purposely have never included a lyric sheet with their records. Dorthia has said that if you ask her in person she will tell you what she says, but other than that, it takes repeated listening and some imagination.

Today, my wife gave this the best possible review.

After blasting it while cleaning the house, she said "What was that? That was pretty good."

Can't ask for much better!

That's a total win in my book. I can totally see my gf being open to listening some of the shorter tracks on this. Should do it in a similarly sleek way.

They purposely have never included a lyric sheet with their records. Dorthia has said that if you ask her in person she will tell you what she says, but other than that, it takes repeated listening and some imagination.

I kind of like it that way as it retains some of the mistery. Her vocals are more audible on this than ever so it's a lot easier to follow as well. The undecipherability kind of was a small gripe to me with Soma though.