Apple Music

Turn off icloud on your phone. Plug it into the computer. Drag and drop songs to your phone. Turn icloud back on. Your apple music will show up after that in a bit. Takes a while to reload.

Cool, thanks. But this can't possibly be the only way to add songs to your iPod from iTunes now? Update: I can drag songs onto my iPhone but they're not syncing to it. UGH.

Turn off icloud on your phone. Plug it into the computer. Drag and drop songs to your phone. Turn icloud back on. Your apple music will show up after that in a bit. Takes a while to reload.

And the additional problem is, that when you delete songs from the iPhone this way, they will be re-loaded from your iCloud library and you have to delete them manuelly from the device.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping this thread because it's the latest Apple thread I could find. iOS 10 came out today and the over-the-air update is causing a ton of devices to go into recovery mode, requiring it to be plugged into a PC/Mac with iTunes to be fixed. It just happened to my 6S and now I'm stuck without a phone until I get home in a couple hours. Just a heads up to NOT update over-the-air and update to iOS 10 via iTunes to avoid issues.

Bumping this thread because it's the latest Apple thread I could find. iOS 10 came out today and the over-the-air update is causing a ton of devices to go into recovery mode, requiring it to be plugged into a PC/Mac with iTunes to be fixed. It just happened to my 6S and now I'm stuck without a phone until I get home in a couple hours. Just a heads up to NOT update over-the-air and update to iOS 10 via iTunes to avoid issues.

Been running the ios 10 beta for a while now and it's grown on me. Not crazy about the music app. Font is too big and I don't like how everything seems to take an extra tap to do. I like to open the music app right to the artists page. Plus it's irking me that 90% of the artists are missing pictures and it doesn't even auto-fill with album artwork. 

I've been using Cesium a lot in place of the apple music stock app. Basically looks like ios 9 music app, but you can customize tabs and organize better. 

Anyone else using 3rd party apps for music?

I updated over-the-air yesterday, I'm glad nothing went wrong. Now I'm just patiently waiting for my friends to update so I can send them Mario stickers and texts with obnoxious effects.

The new sleep alarm is cool, and I'm glad you can finally delete Apple apps, but other than Messages iOS 10 feels pretty incremental. I kind of like the new design of the Music app, but I don't keep any music on my phone so it means nothing to me.

My phones messed up the first time OTA, I couldn't get iTunes to work to download it, so I did OTA again and it worked. Thought I got a messed up version because I couldn't do some of the new messages features, turns out I had motion off the whole time... whoops.

Overall, I like the update. I wasn't sure how I'd feel, but it's pretty cool.

22 hours ago, daegor said:

Just never update over the air, for anything, ever.

Way too many opportunities for something to fuck up.  If you data drops at the wrong time you could easily brick a device.  That's not an apple thing, that's just a tech thing.

I believe Apple devices fully download the update file (hence needing X amount of free space), then verify that it is not corrupt, and then install.  Your data dropping out would just hinder your download process.  This issue was unrelated to the connection and was just some other glitch with their system that unfortunately caused plenty of headache for lots of people.

47 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

I believe Apple devices fully download the update file (hence needing X amount of free space), then verify that it is not corrupt, and then install.  Your data dropping out would just hinder your download process.  This issue was unrelated to the connection and was just some other glitch with their system that unfortunately caused plenty of headache for lots of people.

You'd think (and hope), but I wonder given the hugely increased issues from people who used OTA versus those that didn't.

On 8/2/2015 at 8:51 PM, mappingtheyears said:

Fuck, I changed my Apple ID password and when I logged back into iTunes all the music I had saved was gone. I spent so long going through it all, too. I want to love Apple Music but they're making it hard for me.

I never understood the fanfare for iTunes/Apple Music in the first place. One major issue I have had with it for years is the fact itunes truly is not drag and drop - that's on Android phones. 

• 3 weeks later...

Cesium's What's New descriptions are great. I'm also very much dislike using the stock Music app now because of the redesign. Only $0.99 so I'll give it a shot.

Edit: Celsium is a bit buggy. It looks good, but I find the stock Music app reliable.

Edited by HybridxReality
Added info.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I need some user experiences on Apple Music:

A year ago I did the trial period and noticed a lot of problems with the iCloud library (wrong tags, wrong covers, messed up albums etc.). Furthermore, dragging songs from my Mac onto the iPhone didn't work anymore without disabling the iCloud library everytime.

For some reasons, I'm back at Apple Music as part of a familiy subscription.

Can anyone give some recent experiences:

Is it save to enable the iCloud library now? ( tagged my library thoughfully and thoroughly and I don't want this to be messed up...)

Did they fix the issues with overwriting tag/covers etc. wrongly?

How does copying music from the Mac onto an iPhone work nowadays?

I'm assuming here PC is the same as Mac.

I recently started using it after my less-than-legal sources dried up.  I initially had a major issue importing my library, but my library is over 200gb, and the actually iTunes Library file would have been in existence for ten years or so.  In retrospect I'm not surprised there were issues, it basically randomly made tracks disappear (luckily only from my library, and not from my computer).

Make a backup of your files, be prepared to nuke and pave your iTunes library if it misbehaves.

After that things have been fine, I've had the odd file that has trouble being added to the cloud, but usually I can just remove it from the library and readd it and it's fine.  The odd cover that's incorrect.  But those issues are few and far between.  No issues overwriting tags.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of how things are organized.  The process of having a song on your computer, uploading it to the cloud, downloading it on to your phone, removing it from your phone and NOT the cloud/library, it's all a little clunky.

However, in the end I find there are more pros then cons.

Thanks for the reply.

4 hours ago, daegor said:

Make a backup of your files, be prepared to nuke and pave your iTunes library if it misbehaves.

Doesn't this change nothing? I nuke the library, add the same files (i.e. build the more or less same library) and re-add it to the cloud. Why should the matching algorithm behave differently?

1 hour ago, xtobi-wanx said:

Thanks for the reply.

Doesn't this change nothing? I nuke the library, add the same files (i.e. build the more or less same library) and re-add it to the cloud. Why should the matching algorithm behave differently?

I'm assuming it was an issue with the iTunes library file itself not with the individual songs.  Each iTunes library has a file with some organizational info and preferences in it, I'm assuming mine had been corrupted over time (or simply out of date since I had created it so long ago).

14 hours ago, daegor said:

I'm assuming it was an issue with the iTunes library file itself not with the individual songs.  Each iTunes library has a file with some organizational info and preferences in it, I'm assuming mine had been corrupted over time (or simply out of date since I had created it so long ago).

My library is about the same size and I spend hours adding the correct tags and covers. However, I chose to manage the files and folders myself. Therefore, I assume there's not much additional Information in the library itself.

Maybe I just need to take this leap of faith. If worst comes to worst, I have to nuke the library and disable the iCloud function again...

2 hours ago, xtobi-wanx said:

My library is about the same size and I spend hours adding the correct tags and covers. However, I chose to manage the files and folders myself. Therefore, I assume there's not much additional Information in the library itself.

Maybe I just need to take this leap of faith. If worst comes to worst, I have to nuke the library and disable the iCloud function again...

Yeah, I had iTunes organize mine.  I'm not sure whether or not that'll make a difference, but yeah, there isn't really a way of knowing ahead of time.

19 hours ago, xtobi-wanx said:

Thanks for the reply.

It sounds like you might be one of the unfortunate souls who lost a lot of your library to the Apple Music cloud during your trial period.  

Not sure if this will help

http://www.cultofmac.com/327897/did-icloud-music-library-break-your-collection-heres-a-fix/

http://www.imore.com/how-to-reset-icloud-music-library-apple-music-itunes-match