[PO] We Lost The Sea - Departure Songs

34 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Apparently there is another variant now, but nothing is on Dunk's webstore about it.  This one looks AWESOME.  It was posted on Facebook under We Lost The Sea's account, so maybe it's just a mock-up and they're not ready yet. 

Sooooo.....anyone want my clear copy?

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Apparently there is another variant now, but nothing is on Dunk's webstore about it.  This one looks AWESOME.  It was posted on Facebook under We Lost The Sea's account, so maybe it's just a mock-up and they're not ready yet. 

No automatic alt text available.

Same facebook post mentions the splatter as a tour variant.

In case you guys don't get the Dunk! newsletter, they have repressed the entire catalog.  I am going to be so laughably broke after this trip.  Ugh. 

We Lost The Sea

We're very excited to have one of our favorite post-rock albums of the last few years available again. Departure Songs got repressed on new vinyl colors, released on dunk!records. Besides that we decided to repress their entire back catalog while we were at it. So that means we also have Crimea and The Quietest Place on Earth available on vinyl. All of them are limited edition and each release is coming in two different color configurations. These albums will be available at dunk!festival and in our online store after the festival. The band will of course take some copies with them when touring Europe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, ghost said:

I went through their catalog and I gotta say Departure Songs was easier to get into for me than their first 2 albums. I found the vocals hard to get into.

Funny to hear you say this, because I was the other way around.  TQPOE is where I got into them, and then Departure Songs came out and I was like "Well this is boring...."   Boy, how wrong I was.  This album is the post-rock Dark Side of the Moon, essentially. 

7 hours ago, fizio59 said:

Pulled the trigger and went with both DS and the splatter TQPOE. That band is just too good to not own multiple variants of their records.

Yeah....  I'm feeling the tug on these as well.  I have a first press of DS and TQPOE and tour variants of all 3.  This Crimea is much superior to the Dunk repress though.  It would be super irresponsible as I just dropped $140 on stuff from A1KA and DunkUSA is in a month.  But mannnn.... WLTS.....

Also, I don't know how i feel about them sort of copying the first press splatter of TQPOE with this splatter.  It sounds like it will look cool, though. 

I hope these presses come out better than the tour ones and first press.  All of my copies are super noisy during the quiet sections, I can't seem to get rid of it with cleaning.  I've heard from other people that their copies suffer the same issues.  Maybe I just suck at doing it? 

EDIT:  Question for you guys, since you know vinyl much better than i do.  When they say "Black inside of clear (color in color)" what exactly does that mean?  Is that a black blob in the center of a clear record?

Edited by Gumbo72203

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Funny to hear you say this, because I was the other way around.  TQPOE is where I got into them, and then Departure Songs came out and I was like "Well this is boring...."   Boy, how wrong I was.  This album is the post-rock Dark Side of the Moon, essentially. 

EDIT:  Question for you guys, since you know vinyl much better than i do.  When they say "Black inside of clear (color in color)" what exactly does that mean?  Is that a black blob in the center of a clear record?

Really? That's interesting. I feel like this makes sense as (I think) the vocalist left before DS so I'm sure that affected their musical direction a bit. Definitely one of the best records in the scene right now!

Yes, I think so. I imagine it'll be similar to the black obsidian variant of TRNA - lose yourself to find peace.

Or, here's just a plain example of "black inside clear" (Over the Garden Wall OST).

OTGW_Clear_Disc_Blog_1_1024x1024.jpg?149

Edited by ghost

19 minutes ago, ghost said:

Really? That's interesting. I feel like this makes sense as (I think) the vocalist left before DS so I'm sure that affected their musical direction a bit. Definitely one of the best records in the scene right now!

Yes, I think so. I imagine it'll be similar to the black obsidian variant of TRNA - lose yourself to find peace.

Or, here's just a plain example of "black inside clear" (Over the Garden Wall OST).

OTGW_Clear_Disc_Blog_1_1024x1024.jpg?149

Do you not know the story?  Their vocalist killed himself.  That's why Departure Songs sounds the way it does (instrumental post-rock) and has the theme it does...  it's dripping with sadness and tragedy.  They needed to exorcise the demons, so-to-speak. 

Did you pick up that TRNA?  I'm waiting for my copy from A1KA but my Elusive Package just shipped in with the other 2 today.  Spun the /10 tonight, was great.  Crazy splatter against the lights.  Very deceptive. 

Anyway, thanks for the picture!  That's what I thought.  I always though this was called "blob" or "orb" design.  I decided to go with both /200 for these.  I'm a sucker for WLTS splatters.  That Crimea is next when I get some more cash.... that's /250 and will certainly last a while I'm assuming. 

@Gumbo72203: Oh no, I didn't know that. That's sad. I read this on their bandcamp "...exploring ourselves in the past 2 and a bit years since Chris went on his own journey." I don't know too much about the band so thought it meant he left the band.

No, too many other things I wanted to buy right now. Synthwave is hot with new releases right now. All the variants look so good though. I'm glad the black obsidian variant is available to US fans so I might pick that up somewhere down the line. You got the /10?? I feel like that must've been crazy haha.

Yeah, no prob! Yeah, there's a lot of names for that variant I think. I actually found Crimea easier to get into than TQPOE, perhaps because it may be more straightforward and shorter in length. I'm just getting into them though so I think after more listens, TQPOE will grow on me (funny that it's the opposite for you haha).

I have 3 copies of DS, clear 1st is full of noises and clicks, Dunk half/half is way better but not at 100%, tour splatter is the best of the 3, just a few noisy moments. 

According to Translation Loss new plates will be used for the new pressing (DS for sure, didn't ask about TQPOE and Crimea) so hopefully we finally have great sounding copies of the album, it definitely deserves the treatment.