[PO] We Lost The Sea - Departure Songs

49 minutes ago, fizio59 said:

I have 3 copies of DS, clear 1st is full of noises and clicks, Dunk half/half is way better but not at 100%, tour splatter is the best of the 3, just a few noisy moments. 

According to Translation Loss new plates will be used for the new pressing (DS for sure, didn't ask about TQPOE and Crimea) so hopefully we finally have great sounding copies of the album, it definitely deserves the treatment. 

thanks for the info, this makes me really glad I didn't cave on previous pressings 

12 hours ago, fizio59 said:

I have 3 copies of DS, clear 1st is full of noises and clicks, Dunk half/half is way better but not at 100%, tour splatter is the best of the 3, just a few noisy moments. 

According to Translation Loss new plates will be used for the new pressing (DS for sure, didn't ask about TQPOE and Crimea) so hopefully we finally have great sounding copies of the album, it definitely deserves the treatment. 

Three cheers for you for finding this out!  I just spun my tour splatter last night, and it is awful, unfortunately.  Total rice crispies.  There's one weird part too towards the end of David Shaw where as the music gets more intense, the rice crispy noise also gets more intense, and then subsides once the music dips down.  Very strange phenomena.  It's a distraction to listen to A Gallant Gentleman, for instance, because the calm of that intro and the pensive suspense is broken by the constant fuzz of clicks and noise.  It still sounds fucking incredible once the music comes in, but I wish it were quiet.  Hopefully this solves the problem!

Do you guys know what causes this to begin with?  Is it just a poor molding, or can the stampers get dirty and literally just press a poor-quality noisy record? 

• 2 months later...

Just got this email this morning:

Hello 

You are receiving this email because you have ordered a We Lost the Sea record. Unfortunately we have received notice from the pressing plant that during transport the records have been damaged. We are very upset about this and so is the pressing plant!  They will have to press all new records and artwork. We can imagine how disappointed you are, and we hate disappointing our customers! The records should be in transport to us in two weeks. If you have any questions at all or request please let us know. We at Translation Loss sincerely apologize for this and thank you for your patience.
cleardot.gif
-- 
Kathy Mckenna
Translation Loss Records Customer Support

Please visit us
Edited by ghost

5 hours ago, ghost said:

Just got this email this morning:

Hello 

You are receiving this email because you have ordered a We Lost the Sea record. Unfortunately we have received notice from the pressing plant that during transport the records have been damaged. We are very upset about this and so is the pressing plant!  They will have to press all new records and artwork. We can imagine how disappointed you are, and we hate disappointing our customers! The records should be in transport to us in two weeks. If you have any questions at all or request please let us know. We at Translation Loss sincerely apologize for this and thank you for your patience.
cleardot.gif
-- 
Kathy Mckenna
Translation Loss Records Customer Support

Please visit us

Got that too, along with everyone's email addresses lol

2 hours ago, ghost said:

I don't know who all ordered one here. Maybe one of you was on the fence and was wondering when the release date for this was cuz it's not listed on their website :P Or I just want your attention Gumbo <3

lol no they included everyone's email address in their email.  So you can see everybody who ordered one.  It's just kinda funny.  Some people are not too pleased with that being shared though. 

2 hours ago, The Butcha said:

Got this email about a week ago. So who knows what a revised delivery may be. 

Really?  That's weird.... mine came today

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my Translation Loss represses!  TQPOE clear splatter is soooooo dirty.  It came from the damn desert.  Will need to clean the hell out of this and get new inner sleeves.  You can feel the grit without even taking the records out of the sleeves lol. 

Departure Songs clear splatter though.... holy fuuuuck this sounds AMAZING.  Finally, a good playing copy!  Man, this sounds incredible!  The noise floor is still a little higher than I'd like on A Gallant Gentleman, because I crank it on that intro and so I hear a lot of static (which might be my system TBH, I have a new receiver I've yet to set up) but that might change.  No pops or clicks really though!  Last Dive of David Shaw just finished and it's fantastic.  So clear and full. 

46 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Just got my Translation Loss represses!  TQPOE clear splatter is soooooo dirty.  It came from the damn desert.  Will need to clean the hell out of this and get new inner sleeves.  You can feel the grit without even taking the records out of the sleeves lol. 

Departure Songs clear splatter though.... holy fuuuuck this sounds AMAZING.  Finally, a good playing copy!  Man, this sounds incredible!  The noise floor is still a little higher than I'd like on A Gallant Gentleman, because I crank it on that intro and so I hear a lot of static (which might be my system TBH, I have a new receiver I've yet to set up) but that might change.  No pops or clicks really though!  Last Dive of David Shaw just finished and it's fantastic.  So clear and full. 

fully agreed on what you said about DS, there were a couple hits of noise here and there but definitely nothing that disrupted my listening experience. overall they did a great job, though my actual variant came

out kinda messy-looking in appareance (absolutely nothing like the mock-up), the huge slab of black really prevents all the pretty splatter colors from bleeding through, just a cosmetic complaint though :D

• 4 months later...

Finally getting around to spinning my AUS coke bottle green/bone splatter variant.  WOW!  Oh man, finally... a variant that is quiet!  This is a wonderful experience.  Although of course karma comes in and gives me a scratch segment at the end of Gallant Gentleman.  But the noise floor on this variant is so low, and so quiet.  That could be from my sliding the records out of the paper sleeves though, because for whatever reason they are loaded with grit like haze records are.  I was super careful, but I always wonder whether it's unavoidable when you've got a lot of particles in the sleeve from manufacturing. 

Still though, this sounds so fucking badass.  Worth the $60 I dropped, easily. 

• 1 year later...

Finally a repress:  https://welostthesea.bandcamp.com/album/departure-songs

VARIANT 1 (also available from Dunk Records in Europe & New Noise in China)
- Minimal green/black splatter on milky clear
/750

VARIANT 2 (exclusive to We Lost The Sea)
- Dark green with black swirl
/500

Edited by Portsi

48 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

There's a coding error for Departure Songs, it's actually cheaper when you check out.  I'm sure it'll get changed soon, but if you want to get it for only 29.75eu instead of 36eu, act quickly!

So far, every record of there's I've put in the cart has showed less when getting to the checkout screen. Not sure if they are running some unannounced sale or something? very strange but awesome

48 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

There's a coding error for Departure Songs, it's actually cheaper when you check out.  I'm sure it'll get changed soon, but if you want to get it for only 29.75eu instead of 36eu, act quickly!

That's before tax. I assume you live outside the EU. Ideally you would have to pay tax in your country upon arrival.

Also wanted to throw it out there that their bandcamp has a band exclusive variant of this. The conversion from Dunk's total (with the price glitch) shipped to me here in NY was $54.77. The conversion from their bandcamp a total of $50.72. Dunk has it listed on their page that they cant ship outside the EU right now.  Anyone know if Australia has similar shipping restrictions in place right now?