A vertical record player, cause screw it...

The kickstarter is going up 5K every 5 minutes.... I just watched it go from $236K to $241K in a matter of minutes.

How are people throwing $350 at this blindly? People on this forum have been on the fence for months about the Orbit U-Turn, at $150

I honestly don't get it either. It's such a shot in the dark. Even putting the vertical part aside, has there been any talk about the amp and the speakers? What's the point of listening to a record through that all-in-one unit? It's not going to sound good. It'll sound like old portable computer speakers from the 90s. Ugh.

I honestly don't get it either. It's such a shot in the dark. Even putting the vertical part aside, has there been any talk about the amp and the speakers? What's the point of listening to a record through that all-in-one unit? It's not going to sound good. It'll sound like old portable computer speakers from the 90s. Ugh.

Those MJ "Thriller" picture discs from Urban Outfitters are only going to sound so good, no matter what system you play them on.

Maybe I'm on the out with this one..... I kinda like the design. It definitely wins as an art piece. Wouldn't buy one at that price but it really wins on the design side and I think they did at least SOME of their homework.

Wins: 1) They give you a record weight to keep the record in place in the X-Axis. Good there. 2) The tonearm is adjustable just like any tonearm except that it uses springs for rebalancing. In one of the videos they claim it plays warped records better than most TT's. 3) They don't mention it but in one of the videos they do show them measuring the tracking force and it looked reasonable at something like 1.6 g. So I don't see it DESTROYING your records. The bigger thing to worry about here I think is unnecessary Y-axis movement and that either i) records will skip a ton or ii)the tonearm will wear down groove sidewalls. 

Fails: 1) The RCA and 1/8" jacks are both line level, meaning you have to use their internal preamp. They haven't posted audio sample yet so that could be good or bad. Although with a wood plinth you could probably wire your own RCA jacks that bypass the preamp. 
2) The tonearm is pretty much ON the speaker, which doesn't sound like a good idea so in all reality you'd probably have to use external speakers anyway....
3) Some other stuff I can't think of right now and no one is going to read anyways.....

So maybe in the end this puts it somewhere above a Crosley and below like an Orbit? 

what if somehow that arm came out of the groove and just slid down your white whale like a windshield wiper?

Having given this thing a bit more thought exactly this, gravity has to act on the arm as it gets nearer to the centre of the record so it's going to affect the bias and cause things like IGD and premature groove wear.

Those MJ "Thriller" picture discs from Urban Outfitters are only going to sound so good, no matter what system you play them on.

Yup one of the worst re masterings I think I've ever heard, an original scratched up thrift store copy sounds more musical

Effectively a vinyl soundbar or Bose system without the subwoofer and trickery although it probably still uses a Bose style bright sounding amplifier to make you think it's picking out the details, speakers need to be placed at a specific distance apart and a specific distance away from walls depending on speaker porting and room size so if you are lucky it will sound adequate in a small room.

Maybe I'm on the out with this one..... I kinda like the design. It definitely wins as an art piece. Wouldn't buy one at that price but it really wins on the design side and I think they did at least SOME of their homework.

Wins: 1) They give you a record weight to keep the record in place in the X-Axis. Good there. 2) The tonearm is adjustable just like any tonearm except that it uses springs for rebalancing. In one of the videos they claim it plays warped records better than most TT's. 3) They don't mention it but in one of the videos they do show them measuring the tracking force and it looked reasonable at something like 1.6 g. So I don't see it DESTROYING your records. The bigger thing to worry about here I think is unnecessary Y-axis movement and that either i) records will skip a ton or ii)the tonearm will wear down groove sidewalls. 

Fails: 1) The RCA and 1/8" jacks are both line level, meaning you have to use their internal preamp. They haven't posted audio sample yet so that could be good or bad. Although with a wood plinth you could probably wire your own RCA jacks that bypass the preamp. 

2) The tonearm is pretty much ON the speaker, which doesn't sound like a good idea so in all reality you'd probably have to use external speakers anyway....

3) Some other stuff I can't think of right now and no one is going to read anyways.....

So maybe in the end this puts it somewhere above a Crosley and below like an Orbit? 

Yes I also like the look of it and the engineering for engineering sake plus the thought they have put into it especially with the tonearm but I feel they have introduced a lot more unnecessary problems than they've overcome in the quest of making it look good.

There is a reason all those 80's vertical units had linear tracking arms and it wasn't because they were cheaper to make

Bash it if you like, but this "Toc"-called prototype previously mentioned somehow got to me.

img_1_1434554479_96a3be3cf272e017046d1b2

It doesn't have the cringeworthy tonearm the Floating Record turntable has; I know though, there'll be many different problems with it,

for example not being able to finetune, well, basically anything.

Given the fact that they're both more conversation piece than record player I'd prefer the toc. Design-wise I think neither of them is perfect: The Floating Record TT design has something odd about it I cannot put into words, I guess it does have something to do with it having a long, rectangular base while the platter is just, well, floating there. It feels out of touch I think? Really like the belt drive solution though and the fact that it's more of a classic manually operated TT.

The toc on the other hand made (imho) some weird choices with the on/off button making it look more like a mixture of a vintage Portal turret and a Hal2000 baby, additionally that silver layer seems kinda pointless to me. I do like how sleek and portable it looks though.

I wouldn't mind seing more modern designs like this in the future, these turntables might not be necessary but then again, why are we talking about the whole thing in the first place?

thehobby.jpg

Having given this thing a bit more thought exactly this, gravity has to act on the arm as it gets nearer to the centre of the record so it's going to affect the bias and cause things like IGD and premature groove wear.

I asked them on their Kickstarter page about exactly what you mention, and this is the response I got:

"The tone arm is radially balanced, meaning that the force of gravity will not pull it in any given direction and the stylus will stay in the center of the groove, no matter where it is on the record."

I know it's easy to mock their product, but I still think it's cool that they have almost a month left and their 50k goal is easily going to hit 7 figures.