WTB: Soundgarden Superunknown on vinyl, 2004 German 320 pressing

mondie

• 6 months later...

I actually bought a reissue of this back in 2003, because I was so disappointed with the original US Blue Double LP pressing.

Simply the WORST sibilance I have ever heard on a record.

Does the German 2004 repress beat out that insanely expensive QRP pressing that came out a few years ago?

I have to check my copy. Not sure if it is a UK or the German pressing you are posting about here.

I didn't know there was a QRP pressing, are you sure your not thinking of something else plarocks?

Oh yeah, I see what you mean. Last time I was looking for a rare album, I messaged each person that had it on Discogs and asked if they were interested in selling. That gives you 15 people for Superunknown, give it a try! I had quite a few responses when I did it.

Thanks, that such a good idea. Off to do it now :)

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know there was a QRP pressing, are you sure your not thinking of something else plarocks?

Nope, there is one pressed at QRP:

http://www.discogs.com/Soundgarden-Superunknown/release/5783331

Acoustic Sounds made it. Sounds great from what I hear, but the retail is $60. :o

Still, might be worth it to you if you can't find a 320 for that price.

Ah that's the 20th anniversary issue, didn't realise QRP pressed it  Not full analogue and from what I have read on many forums an ok sounding album but not 'the one', shame since it was done by QRP.

Thanks to cedwhatev's suggestion I sent a message to all 15 owners of this LP on Discogs. Quite a few responded with thanks but no thanks, a couple emailed back and said it was by far the best sounding version and they would never sell their's and one replied back and offered to sell me his!. Fortunately the seller was in Norway too so I should have it tomorrow. :)

Oh yeah, I see what you mean. Last time I was looking for a rare album, I messaged each person that had it on Discogs and asked if they were interested in selling. That gives you 15 people for Superunknown, give it a try! I had quite a few responses when I did it.

Thanks again for your suggestion of contacting people off Discogs. I have just spun my copy bought from a seller in Norway and it sounds outstanding. Three years or more of hunting has been worth it. This is the version to own if this album is one of your desert island discs.

I owe you a beer, shame you are in Canada. I will have to drink yours for you :)

Thanks again for your suggestion of contacting people off Discogs. I have just spun my copy bought from a seller in Norway and it sounds outstanding. Three years or more of hunting has been worth it. This is the version to own if this album is one of your desert island discs.

I owe you a beer, shame you are in Canada. I will have to drink yours for you :)

Not a problem, glad I could help! I'm currently on my own search for the original Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age. Gonna be hefty to pay for, but worth it once I get it. One of my desert island discs, as you put it. 

Thanks for the beer!  :D

Thank YOU for your review as I was tempted to buy the QRP, as I have heard GREAT things about records pressed from that plant.

Of course, you can only get as good sound as your source material.

I dug out what I thought was the "UK" pressing and saw the "320s" in the dead wax.

Looks like I have it too!!! :D

I have not listened to this one yet, but I have heard the PJ Harvey from this series "TBYML" and it sounded FANTASTIC. Blew the original UK away as that was one of the WORST SOUNDING UK pressings in my collection.

I know the PJ album is supposed to be "low fi," but there was this annoying "scraping" sound from the center to the end of each side that I KNOW was not supposed to be there.

Makes me sad I got rid of the MM "Mechanical Animals" from the series. Glad I kept the Soundgarden.

Now I know it needs no replacing ;)

Not a problem, glad I could help! I'm currently on my own search for the original Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age. Gonna be hefty to pay for, but worth it once I get it. One of my desert island discs, as you put it.

Thanks for the beer! :D

Out of curiosity, are you looking for the original UK pressing, or the original US on red vinyl?

Any info on the superior pressing? They have different tracks.

Thank YOU for your review as I was tempted to buy the QRP, as I have heard GREAT things about records pressed from that plant.

Of course, you can only get as good sound as your source material.

I dug out what I thought was the "UK" pressing and saw the "320s" in the dead wax.

Looks like I have it too!!! :D

I have not listened to this one yet, but I have heard the PJ Harvey from this series "TBYML" and it sounded FANTASTIC. Blew the original UK away as that was one of the WORST SOUNDING UK pressings in my collection.

I know the PJ album is supposed to be "low fi," but there was this annoying "scraping" sound from the center to the end of each side that I KNOW was not supposed to be there.

Makes me sad I got rid of the MM "Mechanical Animals" from the series. Glad I kept the Soundgarden.

Now I know it needs no replacing ;)

Thats brilliant for you, a damn rare record and one to treasure. The Nirvana 320's are also worth hunting down. There is defintely a house sound with the 320 pressings.

Good luck cedwhatev, QOTSA has a pretty hard core fan base so that's going to be a tricky reocrd to hunt down

• 3 weeks later...