PO: NOW! - Caspian - Dust and Disquiet (9/25/15)

My copy finally arrived today and true enough, in the Pilsner variant. Just wanted to say a quick thank you for the headsup! Very, very happy with how it looks. Definitely one of the best looking records in my collection. (Also arrived in near flawless condition, no seam splits on the inner or outer sleeve, which happens alot for international shipping.. and minimal warp - I've received albums that are so crazily warped its like my tonearm is dancing on a sine wave..)

They also did a great job with the packaging, I liked the contrast between the finishing on the front and back panels of the gatefold, I do believe this is the first album that I own with this.

It did have a bit more background noise than I had expected though.. I cleaned it before listening but it was still a noticeable amount. Still, all is good. Love the songs on this album. 

I've been a Caspian fan for quite awhile (When I had initially gotten on the post-rock bandwagon.. along with bands like Sigur Ros, EITS, TWDY), but it waned after awhile and I only started getting back into them after watching/listening to the audiotree session and when I started buying vinyl earlier this year. Definitely second that (third or rather..) on the audiotree session being pressed. Loved it and I still go back to listen to it on a regular basis. 

I saw Caspian in Omaha Friday 11/12, bought a copy of Dust and Disquiet from the merch table and it was the pilsner vinyl.

I had no idea that the record was colored vinyl at all and I  was very impressed when I took it out of the sleeve.

The show was great (better than the record possibly)!!

I also bought a copy of their new 2 song EP on white vinyl.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

on a good deck I bet the cassette's sound incredible.  Tape has a warmth that is great, and totally unique.  Different than vinyl. 

I don't want to turn this into a tape hating/vinyl loving thing, but vinyl has a much warmer sound than a cassette. As you said with a tape deck, the record player and cartridge make all the difference. I bet the cart. you use is what makes you think vinyl lacks warmth.

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

on a good deck I bet the cassette's sound incredible.  Tape has a warmth that is great, and totally unique.  Different than vinyl. 

Tapes never sound warm. Tapes sound like shit. The whole point of their existence was to record voice memos. They were never meant to hold audio. That's why they sound like shit. Among tons of other reasons. Don't get me started.  Besides, you can't comment on warmth with that DJ table of yours. And they're different from vinyl cause vinyl doesn't suck. :)

3 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

I don't want to turn this into a tape hating/vinyl loving thing, but vinyl has a much warmer sound than a cassette. As you said with a tape deck, the record player and cartridge make all the difference. I bet the cart. you use is what makes you think vinyl lacks warmth.

I always associate "crispness" with vinyl more than warmth.  Tapes have this analog compression that I just love.... I call it "warmth" because it lacks a bit on the high end, and rounds out the sound in a nice way.  Kinda like rolling the tone knob back on a guitar a little bit. 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...