PO: NOW! - Caspian - Dust and Disquiet (9/25/15)

Not sure about the TP, but you all know you have to give it to me if you win, right? ; )

Jk.

Oh, wow. Air mail was 2-3 weeks. What was sea again, 4-6? I would shoot them a message just asking general details of when they sent them out. Not sure if sea mail has tracking (I never do it, in fear that it'll be a Tom Hanks, and get deserted on an island).

Yeah, try TEN TO SIXTEEN WEEKS.  That was told to me up front.  And yet I still went ahead with it.  Oops.  But if a test comes with it, I'll see what we can work out haha.  Maybe we can do a 3 way trade.  Maybe you have something priceless Don wants, he can part with his ITTCT test to me, and I'll pass along Caspian :)  Ok, I should probably stop talking like I am getting this thing haha.

They usually play 90 - 120 minutes. I don't think that is anything to complain about considering they only charge like $10-12 a ticket. It's all about quality, not quantity. Caspian creates a warm, rich atmosphere with their music. I don't think there is really anything to complain about. Two and a half hours shows are pretty rough, not only on the band, but the audience. I think 90 - 120 minutes is the sweet spot for both. Not only that, but Caspian are showmen. They don't do the studio version of their song, but a live version, which in most cases is extended. Sycamore for example usually gets a whole 4 extra minutes put on it; breaking off and bringing out a piece of the drum kit for each member to slowly start playing on (that's fucking showmanship and talent right there) - that build up is insatiable).

I highly doubt Caspian would even want to charge over $20 for a show, let alone $45. That's just insane. Besides, bands get most of their money from merch. Most of the ticket money goes to house.

As far as what you think is being neglected, they rotate a lot of material in their catalog. I talked to Phil about the whole process, and it's quit intimate. What they play also depends on what equipment they have with them. They can only play so much depending on who is our tour with them, and what equipment they have.

I love Caspian just they way they are: $12 for 90-120 minutes of extremely poetic, and crafted material. I get to hang with my friends, and soak it all up. They put on a show so great you feel like you are the only way there, like they're playing just for you. That's the way they have always been, and I don't see that changing.

If you want $40 of post rock, go see an EITS show. Caspian isn't that band. They will never be that band.

I have no complaints about a 90-120 minutes set from Caspian.  The key is to just go see them enough times to get a diverse setlist.  Yeah I know, that's pretty stupid to say, considering there are newer fans (hell, I'm considered a newer fan, only getting into them between Tertia & Waking Season).  But I've seen a hell of a list of songs from them.  

Now in saying that, I would NEVER be opposed to a longer set, or even two sets from them.  But, it would probably have to be a one-off, and not the norm.  And I am definitely opposed to "post-rock jams".  I love Dave Matthews (cue the hate), but the jams can be a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal drag to get through.  Adding a couple minutes onto a song; good.  Turning a 5 minute song into a 20 minute song; very very bad.  But as already stated, that usually works in an outdoor, get drunk and hang out type setting.  It would not work for an intimate, indoor post-rock gig.

Damn, is no one going to like my Phish/Caspian mashup album, "Phishing the Caspian Sea"?? Wasted some time with that I guess.

But for reel? I've seen Caspian three times over the yeArs since the release of Four Trees and they still put on one of the best shows Ive seen. I don't care how long they play, what songs they play, they rule. It's always been a different experience and has been in different venues. Rosetta is up there too, but Caspian is just a force to be reckoned with.

Phil's got a messed up finger per IG this AM.

Don't know the diagnosis, or which hand, but if it's his fretboard hand, wow, 12  more days of 90 minute intensity, yikes.  Caspian's sets used be to alot less than 90 mintues when headlining, too. 

Russian Circles' 90 minute sets are perfect.  (edit: Sullvan broke his L thumb off-loading the first show of a Euro tour 3 or 4 years ago, and that mf didn't miss a show. Turned out Motrin worked better than all the drugs and booze he was trying to deaden the pain with)

Rosetta usually do 5 or 6 10 minute tracks, and it's so intense, even with the quiet parts for a breather, I'm totally done at 50 - 60 minutes.

These other bands which have been mentioned, except for Rush, I vaguely even recollect they exist

Yeah I get what you're saying, I think the problem is that for the longest time, I was only seeing Phish and other jambands who play 3 hour, 2-set shows, and that's just my norm now. When I see other bands now, its lie "alright! First sets over, lets take a break and.... oh wait. Fuck."

I just want more, haha. I have no doubt about their ability to deliver quantity AND quality.

That's the art of the 2-set show, though. You craft the setlist to cater to that format. So you don't necessarily go balls to the wall right out of the gate.

Its just funny how people's backgrounds differ in how they approach things. Like, for me, when you say Sycamore gets 4 extra minutes, I half think to myself "That's it?" Haha, only because when Phish takes things out, I'm ready to dance for 20 minutes or more. They did a 37-minute version of their song Tweezer back in 2013 that is one of the greatest live achievements they've ever accomplished, with whole distinct sections and movements and catchy melodies and somehow, the entire thing never loses steam. Its bonkers. I would love it if Caspian did live jams like that, really stretching grooves out and seeing what they can come up with. Like, "Sad Heart of Mine" could totally be 10 minutes, and that would rule.

But that's because we have different backgrounds, and are kind of accustomed to different things as far as concerts go.

As far as rotation of the songs, could you elaborate a little more on that? I'd love to know what he said (if there's more to it than what you posted).

I mean, I really only know that I bugged them about adding Loft to the setlist on Facebook and Phil said they'd do it, and then I was the asshole who couldn't even get to a show. I feel like I just blew my chance at seeing that tune because I couldn't get work off for any of the dates.

I think you're being greedy.

I don't understand the comparison of Caspian to jam bands in the first place. Caspian isn't a jam band. They don't have endless equipment, they don't do 30 minute interludes (barf), they don't have roadies or techs on tour (maybe they get one buddy to go along), they aren't that style of music AT ALL. Phish? Rush? Grateful Dead? You want to go watch dead heads stumble around with their instruments for 3 hours while playing an hour of music, go to their show.

This is just a really bad comparison in the first place. If you don't like Caspian the way they are, and want some different dynamic, you don't truly like Caspian. It has nothing to do with what shows I've seen live. I toured for 10 years, and have been to countless shows, all pretty damn diverse. But that doesn't mean I want Caspian to be something they aren't.

I don't see them turning Sad Heart from a little over 4 minutes to 10 minutes. Besides, that song is the perfect intro into Darkfield. Caspian's songs are very finely crafted. I like that they'll maybe add a longer intro, or something to that sort, but I don't see them extended very many songs, but they do tune it / play things a little different to give you a 'live' feel. The songs that are extended, they are done carefully not to compromise the integrity of the song, but to make it feel more personal for the audience. Not only that, but give them some variety, and mix it up. Their material is carefully layered, and crafted. It's pretty delicate stuff that I honestly don't want to change. They just really aren't that kind of band.

I do like how you're wanting them to change their style / presence / set-up / performance, and you didn't even bother to see them on their recent US tour...

Caspian's sets used be to alot less than 90 mintues when headlining, too. 

Like Don said, I remember them playing a lot shorter shows, and I was still floored. Like I said, quality over quantity. Caspian has always been a quality band, and I have 0 complaints. They, in my opinion, are the perfect live band.

I have no complaints about a 90-120 minutes set from Caspian.  The key is to just go see them enough times to get a diverse setlist. 

Adding a couple minutes onto a song; good.  Turning a 5 minute song into a 20 minute song; very very bad.  But as already stated, that usually works in an outdoor, get drunk and hang out type setting.  It would not work for an intimate, indoor post-rock gig.

Exactly. I love that I can never get enough of these guys. Always wondering how they are going to change things up, and what they're going to do with their allotted time. It's always an original and unique experience. Even if they always end with Sycamore (no complaints at all), it's a new version every time.

Agreed. I saw Eagles of Death Metal a month ago and they did a cool jam. Each member did a couple minute solo, then they guitar dueled switching between 10-15 second riffs, and then Jesse did a couple solo songs. THAT'S awesome. But if he did a 20+ minute jam my attention would have started to fade. Even he, or anyone, did 40+ minutes I don't know if I could handle that. That's insane. QUALITY > QUANTITY.

I don't even hate Phish, but I'd also never go see them live because of all the wankery/I wouldn't want to be anywhere near most of their fanbase.

I have never really listened to Phish. There are a few artists out of that vein I listen to every once in a while (but still pretty rare - Warren Haynes is my exception - look up Coheed: Welcome Home (Neverender IV)). None of which I would want to hear jam live. Like I said anything above 20+ minutes is insane. I think 10-12 is alright. Gov't Mule does a cool version of 'I Shall Be Released' that's a little shy of 12 that's awesome. But I can listen to that at will, when I'm in the mood. I wouldn't be down with that fanbase at all though.

Matt, you nailed it.  There really is nothing more to say.

After thinking about it more though, one of the things I love about post-rock/instrumental stuff in general is the fact that these bands don't need to do anything fancy to add to their songs live.  If they just tune properly, throw in some sweet lighting, play with passion, and up the volume a bit, the show is perfect.  Other than the start of Sycamore, I can't recall ever hearing Caspian extend any of their songs live either.  Their wall of sound to complement their stage presence is 100% perfect the way it is.  And that's why they are my favorite band of the genre live.  And top 3 of everything I listen to.    

Matt, you nailed it.  There really is nothing more to say.

After thinking about it more though, one of the things I love about post-rock/instrumental stuff in general is the fact that these bands don't need to do anything fancy to add to their songs live.  If they just tune properly, throw in some sweet lighting, play with passion, and up the volume a bit, the show is perfect.  Other than the start of Sycamore, I can't recall ever hearing Caspian extend any of their songs live either.  Their wall of sound to complement their stage presence is 100% perfect the way it is.  And that's why they are my favorite band of the genre live.  And top 3 of everything I listen to.    

Exactly, man, exactly. No gimmicks, no fancy shit, no parading around. Just 100% passion. Just a couple of guys with their instruments putting an amazing live show. They are so welcoming not only as people, but through their music. They are so warm, inviting, and are amazing at creating that type of atmosphere. That's why they are my favorite live band.

I don't need to continue. All the true Caspian fans know what I'm talking about.

Just Gumbo being Gumbo

Makes me think of Bubba from Forest Gump. Fitting.

Speak for yourselves, dudes. I, for one, would love an additional 30 minute extension of D&D's Aeternum Vale. That melancholic, acoustic guitar needs to noodle for half an hour minimum. Real Caspian fans know what I'm talking about.

I'd also like pay no less than $40 to see it happen.

Stop. I'm crying.

Yeah, try TEN TO SIXTEEN WEEKS.  That was told to me up front.  And yet I still went ahead with it.  Oops.  But if a test comes with it, I'll see what we can work out haha.  Maybe we can do a 3 way trade.  Maybe you have something priceless Don wants, he can part with his ITTCT test to me, and I'll pass along Caspian :)  Ok, I should probably stop talking like I am getting this thing haha.

Dude, this is like Schroedinger's record. Until you open it, it is both there and not. Choosing the shanty mail was the best possible choice!! It's 10-16 weeks of might be getting a TP!!! Hell yeah! :)

I don't even hate Phish, but I'd also never go see them live because of all the wankery/I wouldn't want to be anywhere near most of their fanbase.

You're absolutely correct in that their fanbase is quite honestly THE FUCKING WORST.

I'm in a shitty place, because I love their music, and fucking hate the scene. So many people disregard the music and talk over the band. They spent $70 to have some cool hip background noise to their conversations and attempts at picking up chicks. You guys don't even WANT to know about rage sticks/rage totems. It's seriously the worst.

Matt, you're probably right. It's probably just greediness haha. But I think it goes back to what I'm used to; your formative concert years were spent engaged in a different paradigm than mine were. It's just a different approach.

The thing with the jamming is that, yeah, it can be aimless noodling, but when they get it right and catch the magic, holy shit it's the most brilliant, triumphant fucking thing imaginable. And that's the point: it's elusive. They're taking a risk. Sometimes, its fucking terrible. More often than not, it's great, and those few handfuls of times, its fucking transcendent and heavenly. THAT is what they're after.

But again, we're used to different things. Neither of which are bad, they're just different.

And don't try to hit me with some snide condescending remark that I didn't "bother" to see them on this last tour, dick :P

You're absolutely correct in that their fanbase is quite honestly THE FUCKING WORST.

I'm in a shitty place, because I love their music, and fucking hate the scene. So many people disregard the music and talk over the band. They spent $70 to have some cool hip background noise to their conversations and attempts at picking up chicks. You guys don't even WANT to know about rage sticks/rage totems. It's seriously the worst.

Matt, you're probably right. It's probably just greediness haha. But I think it goes back to what I'm used to; your formative concert years were spent engaged in a different paradigm than mine were. It's just a different approach.

The thing with the jamming is that, yeah, it can be aimless noodling, but when they get it right and catch the magic, holy shit it's the most brilliant, triumphant fucking thing imaginable. And that's the point: it's elusive. They're taking a risk. Sometimes, its fucking terrible. More often than not, it's great, and those few handfuls of times, its fucking transcendent and heavenly. THAT is what they're after.

But again, we're used to different things. Neither of which are bad, they're just different.

And don't try to hit me with some snide condescending remark that I didn't "bother" to see them on this last tour, dick :P

So you complain about a band that you claim to like, that you don't bother to go see, to be like a band whose scene you don't even like. And it's not snide, or condescending. It's true. I don't think you have any merit in saying how you want a band to change when you can't even make it to one of their shows.

Dude, just stop. You don't even have a valid point. As usual, you are typing and typing, and have failed to make a logical, coherent point.

Don't tell me you want my favorite band to be like a band you don't even enjoy. You're missing the entire point of this band, just like you miss the entire point of every discussion on here. Piss off with your bull shit. Seriously. Can't you see no one agrees with you, and they are just making fun of you. I was civil with you, and then you call me a dick. Joking or not, I'm not laughing. Shut your pretentious mouth and get out of this thread. No one has time for your illiterate, nonsensical ramblings, or idiotic opinions. We get it, you discovered post rock last week, and it's all shinny and new, but don't act like you're so post rock know-it-all; you aren't. Go listen to post rock on your own, cause everyone on this board is more educated, and committed to it. I see you recommending post rock to people on here, and I just laugh. I'll spare you an analogy. Look, there is nothing wrong with you diving into the world of post rock, but don't act like you've been listening for 3, 5, 7, or even 10+ years like myself and other people on here. People who don't even post in this thread are sick of your nonsense. Caspian isn't your band to mold. If you don't get that, don't listen to them.

In summation, dial back your bullshit already.

* Yeah, you didn't bother. Not that hard to make it to a show if you really want to. I've taken 6 hour bus rides to see them. I drove 4 hours to see them in Seattle on their recent tour. Imagine that, planning ahead, who knew.

** I also typed all of this one handed so I could raise my middle finger up on my other hand the entire time. It felt appropriate. Have a good day, dick.

I don't know how you get that I think I've been listening to post-rock for years; I haven't. I've never claimed to. Not sure where that comes from at all.

You can't force me out of here by trying to be some elitist dick to rally the vets in ostracizing me. We're all allowed to have our opinions. Mine is different than yours. That doesn't mean you have to act like a condescending elitist towards me, because lets be honest, that's what you're doing.

I have no bullshit to dial back; I state my opinions, and you make fun of me because I think differently than you. That's literally all that's happening here man.

Caspian is one of my favorite bands too, and just because you've been listening to them longer and have a bigger collection doesn't mean your approach to them is any more correct than mine or anybody else's.

Welp, the "friendly" debate train seems to have derailed.

So how about Phil's hair? I loved his mad scientist look. I saw someone say he would make a great Bond villian.

I AGREE.

I tried. Someone resorted to name calling.

Also, YES. Watch the Larcom vids. After a few songs in it starts to take form, and have a mind of its own.

Dude, this is like Schroedinger's record. Until you open it, it is both there and not. Choosing the shanty mail was the best possible choice!! It's 10-16 weeks of might be getting a TP!!! Hell yeah! :)

Haha someone on a ship has no idea the power that he may behold.

Also, it would be awesome if the wrong record was shipped. And if I refused it, would it go back via ship? What if the ship wrecked & there was a Caspian test press at the bottom of the ocean only to be discovered 10000 years later?