Bad/Disappointing Pressings

The picture disc sleeve made that album suck. I know it matched the original artwork, but it should have still been in a sleeve.

I'm glad it wasn't just me then, I was bummed out at the time at how bad that sounded. It was a couple years ago but if I remember correctly, mine had a lot of static and surface noise after cleaning and the music sounded somewhat muted throughout it all. That sleeve was like saran wrap.

I'm unsure if I should buy those Radiohead albums on Amazon if I don't know which pressing they'll end up shipping. I might have to stick with Discogs for this one.

I'm assuming my OK Computer is a Columbia pressing, but I'm definitely not an audiophile and have nothing to compare it to.

That Pianos Become The Teeth Close RSD 7-inch this year that had an unbearable amount of noise, destroying two excellent tracks.

Yeah my copy wasn't horrible but I was less than excited as this was literally one of the only things I was looking for....

I'm curious about which ones you just got turned away from haha. Victory Records shit usually sounds awful, so there's that haha

Agreed.... I started buying the Streetlight Manifesto LPs because they're good..... but alas they don't sound too hot. In fact, I prefer the MP3 versions of them much more. Which is horrible considering The Hands That Thieve is a 2XLP. Anyone could have made that sound good.... if only they cared. 

I'm curious about which ones you just got turned away from haha. Victory Records shit usually sounds awful, so there's that haha

The Antler's Hospice, Glassjaw's Worship & Tribute and Volcano Choir's Repave.

There's only a coupe records on Victory that I'd want, and they're a ways down my list. It seems like all those pop-punk labels couldn't care less about quality pressings though. They must assume everyone is listening on Crosely's.

There's only a coupe records on Victory that I'd want, and they're a ways down my list. It seems like all those pop-punk labels couldn't care less about quality pressings though. They must assume everyone is listening on Crosely's.

Music On Vinyl re-pressed Worship and Tribute, this version sounds much better. The packaging has been improved as well.

My City and Colour - Sometimes always has sounded awful. Aggressively muddy and loud and all together mostly unlistenable, my CD sounds WAY better. However, I've never heard any other complaints and Dine Alone usually has their shit together so I suspect that it is just my copy. Been trying to track down the RSD 2011 original press to see if I can confirm.

Victory probably listens to test presses on a Crosley

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Antlers' Hospice pressing.. the album was recorded super lo-fi. The vinyl sounds much better than any digital copies of the same record.

I think a lot of these are preference :\

Except picture discs, victory records, and/or known defects on records, of course.

Victory Records // Almost everything

i know you said "almost" everything, but my only victory album i own streetlight manifesto's "keasbey nights" sounds really good (then again it is the black press)

anyways records i own that sound bad: (i only own around 45 records so the list isn't long)

bad religion-stranger than fiction (rhino/atlantic reissue on clear red vinyl)

green day-kerplunk (reprise records reissue)

that's all that came to mind 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Antlers' Hospice pressing.. the album was recorded super lo-fi. The vinyl sounds much better than any digital copies of the same record.

Guess you lucked out then. There's multiple complaints all over the internet, see discogs f.e. My copy is not low-fi, the music is buried under static noice, with neither highs or lows. It sounds like it's been recorded with a phone. Also the vinyl itself is one of the flimsiest I've ever seen. 

I'm glad it wasn't just me then, I was bummed out at the time at how bad that sounded. It was a couple years ago but if I remember correctly, mine had a lot of static and surface noise after cleaning and the music sounded somewhat muted throughout it all. That sleeve was like saran wrap.

Yeah, picture disc sleeves transfer plastic crap to the record all the time. It does not even come off when cleaning at times. Sometimes it affects playback, sometimes it does not. I find it usually does.

Music On Vinyl re-pressed Worship and Tribute, this version sounds much better. The packaging has been improved as well.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

i know you said "almost" everything, but my only victory album i own streetlight manifesto's "keasbey nights" sounds really good (then again it is the black press)

That was based on what someone else had posted. I realize now that super general additions like that aren't helpful. I'll keep the list to specific items. Thanks.

Technically, no. The LP version is the album the way it was first released. Providence hasn't even been recorded until the first batch of vinyl was sold out and was dropped on the CD version, which is not only about double the length, but also sports a lot of differences and rearrangements within the two original songs.

Also:

The Antlers. Hospice - Distorted, flat, unlistenable

I know that, the CD version is better so I want a redo.

"Pop-punk labels"? Like who? I don't see Pure Noise on here, nor No Sleep, nor Hopeless (aside from a bad TWY pressing). Those 3 are the bigger pop-punk labels in my opinion, and they all put out some really good sounding shit.

I'm going to say that all the A Day To Remember stuff on Victory sounds like shit. But my Counterparts - The Difference on Blue from Hot Topic sounds ace from Victory however.

"Pop-punk labels"? Like who? I don't see Pure Noise on here, nor No Sleep, nor Hopeless (aside from a bad TWY pressing). Those 3 are the bigger pop-punk labels in my opinion, and they all put out some really good sounding shit.

I'm going to say that all the A Day To Remember stuff on Victory sounds like shit. But my Counterparts - The Difference on Blue from Hot Topic sounds ace from Victory however.

I'm pretty sure No Sleep screen test pressings on a piece of crap unless they've upgraded recently.

I can't confirm this one with anyone, but I got a copy of Social Distortion's Sex, Love, and Rock 'n' Roll off of Discogs, and it sounds pretty terrible. Every song is pretty distorted. The pressing wasn't all that big, and it seems to not be in much demand, so I could never find any info on whether or not it's just my copy, or if it was just a half-assed pressing. But just thought I'd mention it here in case someone is thinking of dropping $50 on a copy. You may be disappointed.