PO: The Wonder Years - No Closer to Heaven

This thread is about The Wonder Years' new album. This forum is about music. If you want to talk about those other issues, which have NOTHING to do with TWY's new album OR music, start a thread in the Everything Else forum.

There already is one. A few people can't help but bring it up in every semi-relevant thread they can. No one is ignoring any issue cwhit. Just because we listen to a band doesn't mean we hate women, support rape, etc. Get over it.

I saw the CTTM tour a few weeks ago and the whole crowd didn't sing one word of sorority noise (except my friend haha) or the spill canvas but went crazy for mcs... Really excited to see them play with twy

We missed SN but you bet yr ass we all sang along during Spill Canvas. We left after that.

having an issue that should inform your decision whether to buy this record or not seems to be very relevant to this topic

Blah blah blah. Okay, clearly there's no arguing with you because you're intent on babbling on about this even though it has absolutely nothing to do with music. So... you win. Carry on, Captain Crusader.

I guess my thoughts on this is that just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true. Yes, some of the bands might have said things on twitter/facebook/tumblr or whatever, but they didn't have this timeline with all the "facts" in front of them. They said stuff right after it happened, without knowing the whole situation. And it seems like once they actually found out what happened, they deleted/apologized for what they said. What more do you want from these bands? To stop making music? It seems like to many people are shitting on bands just for knowing the guy.

I've learned to not get too invested in musician's personal lives because it normally ends with disappointment. Just listen to the music and leave it at that. I probably wouldn't like half the bands that I listen to frequently if I let their personal decisions and attitudes affect my opinion on their music. However, I do draw the line at rape or murder (AILD)

I guess my thoughts on this is that just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true. Yes, some of the bands might have said things on twitter/facebook/tumblr or whatever, but they didn't have this timeline with all the "facts" in front of them. They said stuff right after it happened, without knowing the whole situation. And it seems like once they actually found out what happened, they deleted/apologized for what they said. What more do you want from these bands? To stop making music? It seems like to many people are shitting on bands just for knowing the guy.

Where did state champs apologize to the victim?

I've learned to not get too invested in musician's personal lives because it normally ends with disappointment. Just listen to the music and leave it at that. I probably wouldn't like half the bands that I listen to frequently if I let their personal decisions and attitudes affect my opinion on their music. However, I do draw the line at rape or murder (AILD)

this. Social Media is obviously has it's positives and negatives, but when it comes to music, it all seems to be negative for me. I remember being so out of the loop over my favorite bands/musicians and their personal lives. It was all a mystery, and now that social media has become so popular, all of these musicians post their personal lives and views all over the internet, and it ruins it for me. You can literally find out anything you want about your favorite musician now, and to me that kinda sucks. I liked how it was a few years back when you didn't know anything about the artist or what they were about until you actually went to a show or watched a documentary they put out with their latest LP. Now, it just seems like all of their lives and personal matters, opinions, etc. are displayed on social media for all to observe and it sucks, to me, the mystery is gone. Luckily for me, I don't follow my favorite bands on every platform, and if I do, it's for updates on what music they're putting out or news regarding merch or whatever it may be regarding music. I coul care less about any of the drama that goes on in their lives or what their views are, it just ruins it for me. Some musicians that I thought were so awesome seem like some pretty lame people thanks to social media. 

This thread is about The Wonder Years' new album. This forum is about music. If you want to talk about those other issues, which have NOTHING to do with TWY's new album OR music, start a thread in the Everything Else forum.

There already is one. A few people can't help but bring it up in every semi-relevant thread they can. No one is ignoring any issue cwhit. Just because we listen to a band doesn't mean we hate women, support rape, etc. Get over it.

Seriously, what is talking about it on here going to do? We get it, it's fucked up, but if you're so concerned then go start a petition or become active in protests about things of this nature. Talking about how fucked up it is on here isn't going to change anything. 

Seriously, what is talking about it on here going to do? We get it, it's fucked up, but if you're so concerned then go start a petition or become active in protests about things of this nature. Talking about how fucked up it is on here isn't going to change anything.

Weren't you the kid who brought someones small child into your petty arguement? You were getting your ass handed to you by someone with knowledge and you insulted their kid. If I do recall, that was you.

i don't listen to state champs. they're pretty boring. most of the pop punk scene is, frankly, but that's not the point. point is: can someone objectively describe what the issue is with SC?

i guess i need to lurk around absolute punk more, as i had no idea TWY cut ties with JJR. not really surprised about the accusations, either... sigh.

i agree that it's misguided to "boycott" TWY just for being associated with JJR. but if they were privy to what happened and stayed hush, then obviously that's disconcerting. i also agree that i liked it better when i didn't know anything about the bands i listened to (which is why i stopped going to absolute punk). but then that creates a kind of "ignorance is bliss" situation, and ignorance is rarely a sound perspective or approach.

i don't listen to state champs. they're pretty boring. most of the pop punk scene is, frankly, but that's not the point. point is: can someone objectively describe what the issue is with SC?

One of the band members tweeted "tumblr justice baby" when it was all first coming to light. It's been deleted since.