PO: The Wonder Years - No Closer to Heaven

So actually I'm going to differ from everyone who posted earlier. I think this album is actually the one that best flows from start to end. There's a drop in the second half of TGG but I stuck with this through the whole thing. The only song that I don't really like is "Stained Glass Ceilings" because it doesn't have that much movement, just slow and then heavy with Jason's part. 

"A song for Patsy Cline" is super interesting rhythmically. I like how it's slower for the verses and then very broken between. Somehow the "broken-ness" drags you to the next verse nicely. 

"A Song for Ernest Hemingway" is probably the most interesting because it just jumps between the slower sung parts and group melodies and  fast rock bits. Actually the shortest song on the record minus the Intro/"Outro"

At first listen I hated Jason's part in "Stained Glass Ceilings" but the second time around it grew quite a bit on me. It's not supposed to mesh very well. I like how he does go from screaming to a high hum in the same sentence. 

"You In January" is also super interesting because it's basically a love song, but it's like they avoided the clichés of one by simply telling it from a male perspective. 

So my shitty review aside, can we talk about themes? The earlier songs seem to indicate an antagonistic approach to religion such as in "I don’t think he even knew your name. I refused to kneel or pray." "This god damn machine; hungry and heartless. My whole generation got lost in the margin. We put our faith in you. You turned a profit. Now we’re drowning here under your waves." and "If these motherfuckers made it to heaven, they’d burn the bridge when they got across." from 'Stained Glass Ceilings' but then at the very end he says "Mom, I want you to know I’m letting everything you taught me guide me home."

In the interviews for his Aaron West project he noted that he was raised Catholic and knew a bunch of stuff about it but didn't really practice. So would you say that basically the real theme here is something more like 'Have faith and fight for heaven, but it's not in what pastors teach you.'?

I agree with pretty much everything you said...

In my opinion this is their best album to date.

That Hottopic variant looks incredible. Really pleased with some Hottopic variants lately like the new Neck Deep album, they've really been matching the artwork well.

Excited to listen to this album and see them on tour with MCS. Don't know why so many people hate on them in this thread... I didn't get into "GO" and probably won't listen to their new album, but "I Am the Movie", "Commit This To memory", and "My Dinosaur Life" are fantastic albums IMO