Alleged Sexual Assaulters and Scumbags

I know this may not be the trendiest news to read today, and I know Cwhit got laughed at in other threads for bringing this to attention, but fuck that. I know many of you are scoffing at a boycott of Pure Noise Records, a label who knowingly signed a band with a sexual assaulter, and then told a fan who brought it to their attention to "never buy another record from them again". Some of you have said that bands like Four Year Strong have "no blood on their hands", even though they continue to employ a man who tried to hide an assault, and then threatened Christian from The Hotelier for calling him out, and offered two pieces of free merch to a kid if they set their Hotelier shirt on fire. All of this at the expense of a 17 year old girl (at the time of the assault) who has probably taken almost as much heat for this for not staying quiet about it as the assaulter himself.

Anyway, if you want to laugh this off and pretend like it's not important and that it's yesterdays news, then cool. I'm going to boycott Pure Noise (not that I have ever been an avid supporter) not because I think it's going to put a dent in their wallet, or sadly, change anything at all, but because by supporting them, you are, whether you will admit it or not, supporting a label with the mentality that it's okay to push sexual assaults under the rug, while continuing to show support for assaulters.

Also, I agree that Jason Tate is quite often a total wiener. However, laughing at the position he is taking in this whole ordeal is disgusting. He's shedding light on an extremely important issue within the scene, and if you honestly think he is doing it for his own benefit/"holier than thou" attitude after reading everything below, than you're pretty fucked up.

It's obviously your choice if you decide to boycott a record label or not. But I think it's important that people know about this, and then make a decision for themselves on whether or not they will support Pure Noise, and the bands involved. This will at least allow you to do that by shedding some light on the situation.

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3725131

And I would like to thank Cwhit for bringing this whole thing to my attention.

I could honestly care less about who did what.  

You could care less that a band member sexually assaulted a 17 year old girl, and continued to receive support from labels, band members, and booking agents?  

That's a pathetic answer.

Yes. I'm not going to stop supporting the fantastic bands on PN over this. 

It is "couldn't care less" and I think he was calling you out for it. Saying you could care less implies, well...you could care less than you do.

Also, not sure why Parkinglot's post got a downvote. Even if you don't agree with boycotting them, it is a legitimate concern for someone who supports this label. Unless you are the dude I am replying to I guess.

Boycotting a label is a tough one, due to contracts that may have been signed prior to the story being known or well established.

What is the band with the perp in it?

It is tough, and unfair to a lot of bands (Gates, Senses Fail, I'm sure there are a few more).  They didn't know what they were getting themselves into, and now I'm sure they're contractually obligated to do certain things.  It is disheartening however, to see so many of the bands on Pure Noise support the signing of the band with the assaulter (No Good News), and even go as far as defending him.  (All of this can be found in the link).

Read a list of bands on and affiliated with the label/situation.

I am going to boycott everyone involved 110%. Of course this requires zero effort on my part and my life will not change at all. All those bands are terrible or I've never heard of them, so obviously they are terrible.

This kind of action is needed though. Fuck predators and abusers. They need to be publicly called out so this kind of shit stops being accepted.

Harry is out of No Good News as of now as far as I know and the rest of the band has to suffer for what he did? 

If this is true then I'd only be worried about boycotting the label in the sense of buying anything via other outlets than the label's website and boycotting bands that defended the actions.

Harry is out of No Good News as of now as far as I know and the rest of the band has to suffer for what he did? 

They knew he sexually assaulted someone and they allowed him to stay in the band for 2+ years after it happened.   They also "cheered him on" when he walked out of the van with the girl on the night it happened. That's the fucked up bro mentality that fuels this whole thing.  Everyone in the scene cries out about social injustices, but the second it affects your dude friend, it's okay, and you say "he couldn't have done it, he's a good guy", and the blame is put on the victim.  By allowing him to stay in the band, they were complicit.  

And all he said is that he would be "taking a break" from the band.  So it looks like they didn't even kick him out.

JJR is scum but I'm not going to stop listening to FYS, Hit The Lights, and State Champs.

State Champs had possibly the most disgusting, offensive response to what transpired, when compared to what other bands said (and then deleted) on the subject.  FYS continues to employ JJR after everything that has happened.  If you're already into their music, why stop listening to it?  But to continue to support them in other ways after all of this has transpired is beyond me.  

Also, did TWY ever release a statement on JJR?  They are not affiliated with him anymore, are they?  It still bums me out that he continued to tour with them four over 2 years after what happened between him and Christian regarding the assault.  I would have expected an immediate response from Dan/Soupy since he always has so much to say on these subjects.

And the dude from Handguns who backed him until he got backlash, then he decided to switch sides.

Knuckle Puck did the same thing.  They tweeted "bullshit" to the accusations, deleted it, and apologized.  

I don't get it, these bands either support the rapist, or support him, then realize they probably shouldn't have, and try to backtrack through social media apologies.  These dudes are role models for so many.  An apology isn't enough, especially when it's so transparent.  Why not have a fucking conversation about it, and create dialogue.  I guarantee if a dude like Dan from The Wonder Years took 5 minutes from each set and had an actual conversation about sexual assault and the mentality that surrounds and perpetuates it, kids would listen and have things to say back.  The problem is so many of these bands preach it on social media but in all honesty couldn't care less to actually try and change the way so many of us dudes within the scene think (mainly the pop-punk scene).  They have a massive platform for this kind of stuff, fucking use it if you actually care more than a 140 letter twitter post.

If you don't agree with boycotting the label, that's on you, you can do what you want. Trying to defend any part of this is pretty reprehensible, and not caring that someone was sexually assaulted or that this was swept under the rug is pretty fucked up.

Luckily I don't care about a single band on that label. So...easy peasy for this guy.

It won't stop me from going to ECC shows

This is being blown way out of proportion.

The only problem is JJR but I don't see bands stopping working with him anytime soon since he's buddy buddy with everyone.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM.  This is the mentality that allows these people to continue to get away with this shit.  What are you missing?  By supporting ECC, you are supporting JJR, who is an ally of a sexual assaulter, and threatened anyone who made it public.  

The problem is that PEOPLE WON'T STOP WORKING WITH HIM BECAUSE HES BUDDY BUDDY WITH EVERYONE.  It doesn't matter if it's your best friend or a complete stranger, you can't use your friendship with someone to justify shitty behaviour, but unfortunately, that's how this scene works, and that needs to change.  And it can change.  All it takes is for one person at a time, including you, to skip out on the next ECC show you want to go to, because you don't want to support shitty behaviour.  Or if you see your friend bringing a blackout drunk girl back to his room, maybe step in and say something to him.  Maybe say something to JJR if you see him at a show.  "Hey man, it's shitty what you did and I'm not going to support you or your bands anymore".  That's all it takes from you, is to stand up against shitty behaviour.  One person at a time.  And this probably sounds cliche, but it's true.

Also, I am so sorry that you think this is being blown out of proportion, but a young woman was sexually assaulted and it was covered up for 3 years just because the dude played in a band and has connections and was a nice guy that couldn't have raped anyone.

State Champs had possibly the most disgusting, offensive response to what transpired, when compared to what other bands said (and then deleted) on the subject. FYS continues to employ JJR after everything that has happened. If you're already into their music, why stop listening to it? But to continue to support them in other ways after all of this has transpired is beyond me.

Also, did TWY ever release a statement on JJR? They are not affiliated with him anymore, are they? It still bums me out that he continued to tour with them four over 2 years after what happened between him and Christian regarding the assault. I would have expected an immediate response from Dan/Soupy since he always has so much to say on these subjects.

That's all I meant. I apologize if I came off slightly callous. I've been following this since it broke at AP and got fed up with the hive mind mentality of Tate and his cronies. Especially seeing that he (JJR) isn't involved with the creative process. If he was then id have a issue. Sexual assault is a huge deal and I do take it seriously. I just take issue that I have should feel bad for being a fan of a band (FYS) that is relatively new to the label. The CEO needs to research his signees a little better.

I'm not defending anything. This is the first time I've talked about any of this to anyone at all too. I just.. Don't care and it's not going to hinder my enjoyment of the bands I like that happen to be on this label.

This is the problem though. Think about if someone tried to rape your mother, friend, girlfriend or sister. Do you think you'd care then? This is someone's daughter, sister, friend. Not caring that someone tried to force them into a sexual act is fucked up.

To be fair, I didn't say you defended this person, but people have.

Also to be fair, there has been no conviction because this hasn't gone to trial like so many other attempted rapes.

If you don't agree with boycotting the label, that's on you, you can do what you want. Trying to defend any part of this is pretty reprehensible, and not caring that someone was sexually assaulted or that this was swept under the rug is pretty fucked up.

Luckily I don't care about a single band on that label. So...easy peasy for this guy.

this is how I feel. except that I Iove Gates. and they are a great band and even better ppl.