Bernie 2016

• 1 month later...

Bernie is not going to win NY.  http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/primary-forecast/new-york-democratic/

Also... http://m.dailykos.com/stories/1510987

Constructive criticism for Senator Sanders: Before your next interview with an editorial board of a major newspaper, formulate a plan for how to break up the banks, bone up on banking laws and criminal vs civil law, learn more about the Israel-Palestine conflict so you can provide an informed opinion when asked, decide how you feel about President Obama’s strategy for ISIS, stop veering to your stump speech when questions get hard, and ride the NY subway so you will know what it is like.

If NY goes to Sanders, it's safe to say he'll win the nomination.  But I guarantee Clinton has paid out the ass to win NY.

I wonder how many polling places they've closed in the NY districts?

blame the GOP regarding polling places closing, that is a result of the GOP getting away with passing voter-restriction laws at the State level.  Which, in such a liberal/progressive State like New York, i'd be surprised if that many ACTUALLY closed because of State laws..

Constructive criticism for Senator Sanders: Before your next interview with an editorial board of a major newspaper, formulate a plan for how to break up the banks, bone up on banking laws and criminal vs civil law, learn more about the Israel-Palestine conflict so you can provide an informed opinion when asked, decide how you feel about President Obama’s strategy for ISIS, stop veering to your stump speech when questions get hard, and ride the NY subway so you will know what it is like.

I will admit that interview was painful for Bernie.

But so was listening to Hillary bark like a dog. Right up there with Howard Dean's "yeaaargggghhhh!!!!" and Bush's "fool me twice" statement. Politicians are entertaining to say the least.

I thought you mentioned on prior posts that your wife is a teacher (or something of the sort). Do her students have an opinion about the elections? Do they have a favorite they'd like to vote for? I remember I was in 8th grade Social Studies and an old teacher of mine explained the Electoral College process and had bumper stickers and posters for all the candidates (it was the 1988 election year, yes I'm an old fart). It was my first introduction to politics and it was a lot of fun. I wonder if students feel that anymore.

I will admit that interview was painful for Bernie.

But so was listening to Hillary bark like a dog. Right up there with Howard Dean's "yeaaargggghhhh!!!!" and Bush's "fool me twice" statement. Politicians are entertaining to say the least.

I thought you mentioned on prior posts that your wife is a teacher (or something of the sort). Do her students have an opinion about the elections? Do they have a favorite they'd like to vote for? I remember I was in 8th grade Social Studies and an old teacher of mine explained the Electoral College process and had bumper stickers and posters for all the candidates (it was the 1988 election year, yes I'm an old fart). It was my first introduction to politics and it was a lot of fun. I wonder if students feel that anymore.

My wife teaches Social Studies/Cultural Literacy at a fairly progressive charter school in the Pittsburgh region.  She currently teaches 8th grade (she's actually had her current students for 3 years, their school "loops" where you have the same teachers for 2 - 3 years vs different teachers each year), and constantly discuss the current election process (electoral college, delegates/super delegates, primary/caucuses, etc), and actual policies presented by candidates (environmental issues, equal rights (women, lgbt, workers), heathcare, international affairs, etc).  I know she has no children who actually like any GOP candidate, at least not verbally.  I'll have to ask her tonight about that question, they have opinions about all elections (even local Mayoral elections), granted they're still years away from actually participating, im not sure if they're leaning more towards Bernie or HRC, though.  

While I agree that interview wasn't the best for him, HRC has had her share of gaffs as well.

Also, it probably isn't the best to link to projectfivethirtyeight because they also had her at a 99% chance of winning Michigan. This election cycle has been pretty unpredictable. Yes, it is likely that she will win, but it's not impossible for him to sneak by with a win. 

My wife teaches Social Studies/Cultural Literacy at a fairly progressive charter school in the Pittsburgh region. She currently teaches 8th grade (she's actually had her current students for 3 years, their school "loops" where you have the same teachers for 2 - 3 years vs different teachers each year), and constantly discuss the current election process (electoral college, delegates/super delegates, primary/caucuses, etc), and actual policies presented by candidates (environmental issues, equal rights (women, lgbt, workers), heathcare, international affairs, etc). I know she has no children who actually like any GOP candidate, at least not verbally. I'll have to ask her tonight about that question, they have opinions about all elections (even local Mayoral elections), granted they're still years away from actually participating, im not sure if they're leaning more towards Bernie or HRC, though.

So your wife teaching in a "progressive" area to 13 year olds and no one likes GOP candidates and that's somehow telling to you?

those 8th graders are scared they will be labeled extremists for wanting to make america great again. plus they don't pay taxes.

So your wife teaching in a "progressive" area to 13 year olds and no one likes GOP candidates and that's somehow telling to you?

To answer both questions, the school my wife teaches at has only been around for 9 years or so.  7-9 years ago it was viewed as "a free private school" for upper middle/upper class people who lived in the City School district that has some really bad schools.  So there was a surge of affluent families in the school in the first couple years, which has changed.  So even though the school itself is progressive, that doesn't necessarily mean that kids and families are.  To them its a free school that gets their kids out of some pretty bad elementary and middle schools.  Yes, my wife does think there are kids who might? support Trump/Cruz, but they most certainly do not say anything because a vast majority of kids are so vocal against them.  

from The Young Turks

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

bernie thread in need of some extra HIGH ENERGY

the nice old man hasn't thrown in the towel yet!

As long as we don't talk about muslims.. (I'm just kidding)

As much as the Hillary campaign is (successfully) trying to influence the media into thinking it's all over, there's quite a bit of race left.  And I think it's nice he's vowed to go to the end.  It's nice to have on-going ethical debates about how we should run our country.

On the other hand, he could be splintering the Democratic party - a party that has done quite a bit for him in allowing him to grow his coalition of supporters.  Since he's not a Democrat, or wasn't until he decided to run for president, I could see some Hillary supporters as being upset that his continued involvement in the primary.  If, once (whatever), she becomes the nominee then her campaign will need to worry about corralling Bernie's base, which isn't going to be easy.  And far less easy now that he's following his campaign all the way to the convention.  Conceding the primary nomination to her would be a sign to his supporters that they should support Hillary.  Not conceding could foster anti-voter sentiment, and people that may have voted Democrat just to keep Trump out of the office might turn their vote to a 3rd-party or Independent, or abstain from the general election all-together.

It's a tough call.  I'm a Bernie supporter and, like I said before, I think it's great that he's keeping the Democratic primary lively and using every opportunity to spread his agenda.  But I do hope that if he doesn't get the nomination, that he will formally endorse Hillary.  And vise-versa.

i think it's a shame that bernie is basically getting silenced and ignored by the media. and the whole superdelegates thing reeks of DNC rigging, making it look like a non-establishment democratic candidate will never even be possible without some changes. the reality that thousands of individual votes can be trumped (no pun intended) by a single superdelegate blows my mind. the fact that bernie can beat Crooked Hillary in a state's popular vote by margins of 20% or more and still tie or lose the state because of superdelegate pledges is beyond stupid.

although i disagree with pretty much his entire financial / taxation strategy, his voting record in congress compared to both establishment republicans and democrats is pretty remarkable:

politifact%2Fphotos%2FHilberniestarkdiff

i can understand why people don't like TRUMP, but trading bernie for Crooked Hillary is getting the shit end of the stick.

at least bernie appears sincere, honest, and people like him.

except that 3 million people have voted for hillary over bernie.  its not like its close, 3 million is a lot of votes in one party to separate candidates, and we haven't even had California yet, which hillary is projected to win in the high 50's low 60's.  Imagine if California had their primary in February instead of June like in 08.  Would this even still be a contest?  Obama only "beat" hillary by 50,000 popular votes, not that popular votes drive nominations, but he ended up with I believe a couple hundred more super delegates than her.