Non MCU Marvel Thread: Up Next: XMen: Apocalypse

2 hours ago, grizzlyadams said:

I haven't watched the second episode of Legion yet, but I really liked the first.  It's probably cliche to call it trippy, but I think that would be most appropriate word to use. Also Logan reviews have started coming in and it sounds like it's the best or at least among the best of the x-men films. Pretty excited to see it.

Legion is awesome. Logan looks awesome. Things are looking up for the non MCU Marvel properties! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, rooks said:

Logan was fucking incredible. I love XMen movies and watched all of them in chronological order the week before seeing Logan. It blows every single one out of the water. Really good film, sincerely. Not just good comic book\superhero\xmen film. Good film period.

I've seen most all of the X-Men / Wolverine movies, give or take, and despite being well aware that I'm barking up the wrong tree here, I think they all start out fairly strong but get super cheesy and fall apart.  There's some crazy mech in Japan or horrible Deadpool-interpretation showdown thrown in at the very end that sours the progression, for me.  I know it sounds moronic, but it's the overly-comical superpowers (lasers, fire balls, etc.) – in comic based movies – that leave me like "eh".  That's not to say the films aren't enjoyable; they're just a one-and-done experience at the theater for me, and I'm good.

But like you said... Logan was commendable as a film and not just a Marvel movie.  I liked that the settings and environments were all realistic.  I liked that the most far-fetched aspect of the antagonist was a mechanical hand.  I appreciated that the gang wasn't trying to save the world.  I enjoyed that the biggest threat in the movie wasn't an over-the-top mutant with laser eyes in a mech suit.  It felt grounded, and is probably the only Wolverine movie I've ever had the desire to watch again whenever it's out of theaters.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I've seen most all of the X-Men / Wolverine movies, give or take, and despite being well aware that I'm barking up the wrong tree here, I think they all start out fairly strong but get super cheesy and fall apart.  There's some crazy mech in Japan or horrible Deadpool-interpretation showdown thrown in at the very end that sours the progression, for me.  I know it sounds moronic, but it's the overly-comical superpowers (lasers, fire balls, etc.) – in comic based movies – that leave me like "eh".  That's not to say the films aren't enjoyable; they're just a one-and-done experience at the theater for me, and I'm good.

But like you said... Logan was commendable as a film and not just a Marvel movie.  I liked that the settings and environments were all realistic.  I liked that the most far-fetched aspect of the antagonist was a mechanical hand.  I appreciated that the gang wasn't trying to save the world.  I enjoyed that the biggest threat in the movie wasn't an over-the-top mutant with laser eyes in a mech suit.  It felt grounded, and is probably the only Wolverine movie I've ever had the desire to watch again whenever it's out of theaters.

They're cheesy as hell. That's my point though, I go into X-Men movies expecting a slightly more relevant and grounded version of the other shitty summer blockbuster superdude movies. They fucked the timeline so hard even they know it makes no damn sense. I can appreciate it through the cheese though, while I typically dislike other hero movies like capt America or whatever does nothing for me. 

Logan was on another level though. Realism in places you don't expect realism and finally an X-Men movies where Wolvy puts his claws through some shit and makes you go "daaaaaaaamn" instead of some cheesy pg13 cutscenes of him doing a pose and then the bad guy's shadow falling to the floor on the wall behind him. They let their hair down and made a gritty movie and I loved it.