Knowing When to Give Up Being a Completionist/Variant Collector?

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advice from some people who have decided to no longer go the completionist route with their collections.

I started slowly collecting about 8 years ago and it has expanded into collecting multiple bands/artists and completing 95% to 100% of the variants for each one.

Keeping up with all the bands and all the re-pressings happening has just become a major time sync and HUGE money pit at some points.

Wondering if you have been a variant collector, what was the moment or catalyst you had to move you from being meticulous about a band's variant runs to "I am happy with just one or two pressings".

Looking forward to the feedback!

Thanks Everyone!

Never been one for variants(save for my favorite band Mineral) but ive had ups and downs as a completist. At this point i just dont care. Ive gone back to the point where i began which is only collecting albums that have true sentiment towards me. Reason being that i really just dont spin my records anymore. I know there are others out there who would cherish them far more.

The only thing I ever variant collected was TWIAP - Whenever, If Ever

After like 7 copies I had to say "fuck it." I'll stick with occasionally buying 2-3 variants for a band I really love.

Not that I don't love TWIABP, they're my favorite current band, but god damn...too many pressings.

I guess when I was younger Less Than Jake made variant collecting fun, but it only lasted about a year. I soon realized I could be spending that money on a different record. To each his own, but I'm glad I made that decision back then. My only regret is deciding to keep my picture disc of Hello Rockview instead of one of the other 2 colors I had of it since they could get me more on ebay. That $20 difference doesn't seem so great today.

I soon realized I could be spending that money on a different record.

This is how I am for the most part.  I'd rather own 10 different records than 10 copies of one record, but I get the variant collecting thing.  There are a few albums I have 4-5 copies of, but I don't make chasing more down any real priority.

When it stops becoming fun or financially feasible.

This for me. I had a complete Bouncing Souls collection for a long time. While it's still hard for me to break it up with all the represses epitaph/chunksaah have been doing it's not as fun and I don't need 6 copies of the same record. I'd still grab a few copies of each record or all the first pressing stuff and any cool ones but I just lost interest with all the represses. It's also more fun to trying to track down rarer pressings than it is to just buy the new ones when they go on sale.

^^hahaha hilarious!!

I'm not one to collect multiple copies of records EXCEPT for 2 occasions. Anything Mars Volta/Omar Rodriguez and a small record label called Grimtale Records.

I'd say if you really love a band, a complete collection of all pressings and variants would be fucking awesome to have. Other than that there's no point in having multiple copies.

I've been meaning to complete my Volta and Omar collections (only a few missing) but I know if there were 10 versions of one of their albums I would totally want every one. Other than that, fuck having multiple variants. I usually go for the rarest or the cooler looking one

Getting married did it for me.

Really though, if there's an album that marked the end of variant collecting for me it has to be The Big Come Up by the Black Keys. Once they started putting out a variant every 6 months for that album I had to stop. I cut down to the white first press, the 180 gram remaster, and that negative cover image they did on clear vinyl (cause that was a cool gimmick).

When I realized I never play 7"s. Too much work.

Yeah, and the cost for 7"s has gotten crazy. Besides a few exceptions I just buy them digitally. Even purged all the ones that have later appeared on compilation releases like Braid, Less Than Jake and The Get Up Kids. And if/when The Promise Ring and Jimmy Eat World ever do that I'll get rid of those 7"s, too. I think I just realized I'm the anti-collector.

I don't variant collect, but I do have the discography OCD. I'm slowly breaking it.

I used to have that, but I've kind of given up on it.  It took me quite a few years to realize that I don't need one copy of every release.  For most bands I like, I'm happy with studio albums.  Depending upon the band, it's easily obtainable studio albums too.

I used to have that, but I've kind of given up on it.  It took me quite a few years to realize that I don't need one copy of every release.  For most bands I like, I'm happy with studio albums.  Depending upon the band, it's easily obtainable studio albums too.

I get that way about some bands. I definitely don't do live stuff, but I'll get what I consider complete (all the albums I like even a little bit from a band).

I try not to get stuff I won't ever listen to any more. If a really good deal comes along for something I don't love that would complete a collection though...every now and then I'll grab it. Good example: MF DOOM. I don't love Born Like This or DangerDOOM, but DD got repressed and was a reasonable price so I snagged it. meh. :)