A discussion about record flippers

The hobby is right!

Though I don't agree with buying multiple copies of a record with the sole intention of selling them for a profit, I have sold records for more than what I've paid. If it's a record that I no longer want or listen to, I generally just trade it off for something I will, without taking a record's 'value' into account; however, I have sold records on eBay for a profit because I needed to buy food since I was jobless for the first 6 months after moving to DC.

You just described the beautiful hypocrisy of Vinyl Collective. The lack of self awareness from the majority of the members here is astounding. 

REALLY? You of all people?

http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/256906861

http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/244307189

http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/252335442

http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/195147084

I was labeled a flipper without any recourse or ability to justify myself and now whenever I post people insult me and call me a flipper. 

With every single "collectable" there is a secondary market where "flippers" will try and take advantage of less knowledgeable people for profit. I used to play magic the gathering and there were people at competitive events called 'sharks' they were at every event trying to make money by advantageously trading all day to make small margins every trade that would add up over time. the same goes for flippers, sometimes they will make 50-100 dollars but really they make like 5-10 dollars and if someone really wants that 5-10 bucks so badly let them have it.

5 dollars is a flip......bless me father for I have sinned

The entire point of this topic is that selling OOP records for their average market value is not flipping and yet some people here can't grasp that simple concept.

Furthermore, if I wanted to sell a record for 6000 dollars and someone bought it, that's because THAT IS WHAT THAT RECORD IS WORTH TO THEM. If you disagree just don't buy it.

Man I really like you and don't get your beef with me. I only post with vitriol sometimes because people here are so quick to demonize without any recourse.

I didn't have a problem with you until you started flipping RSD titles on Discogs not even 2 days later and then tried to play the, "Oh I don't know how they were listed for sale, it was an accident," card. Like it's super easy to accidently list stuff for sale on Discogs. Then you ran up in museummouth's thread and started shit with him for no reason. I can't comprehend why you can't just chill on the self-righteous rants and justifications, admit you fucked up, and contribute to the community constructively.

"Oh I'm gonna change my screen name to Kayne West cause everyone hates him too lol."

I accidentally listed Polaris on discogs because I was looking at the listing of it along with what I was actually trying to sell (a non rsd record) and actually listed it twice because I hit the button twice. It was a mistake and when someone brought it to my attention I removed it. Do you think, based on how I view the opinions of the majority of this site, I would have removed it if it weren't legitimately a mistake?

If you don't want to give someone the benefit of the doubt I don't know what to tell ya.

The difference between flipping and selling for profit is intent. If you bought it only to make money off of, it's flipping. If you bought it and enjoyed it and listened to it for years but then you need extra money for bills or what not and sell it high, it's aight.

It's not how much you sell a record for that makes you a flipper.

If you buy with the only intent being profit, not spinning, then you're flipping.

Have I flipped? Yes. Do I try to flip in VC? Never. This is a community, not a marketplace. If I sell here it's for market value (or less, when I can afford it.

The truth is, by taking a hit on market value and selling to VC members at cost I have been paid the same favour enough times that I've saved more money than I ever would have made flipping.

Now, I can't always sell at cost (just recently I sold a ton at market value to pay bills, thank you everyone!), but I do it when I can. And will do it again in the future to replenish the VC karma I just cashed in on.