PO: Bring Me The Horizon - That's The Spirit

Well, new album certainly isn't for me. I do think these guys can be a creative bunch, and while I prefer the heavier stuff, I liked the pacing of Sempiternal; catchy with some of those metalcore elements still present.

This new album though basically sounds like pop music, to me.

I can't get into it at all either

Musically it's pretty good. But the vocals and lyrics are just bleh to me.

Can't say one song stuck out to me either.

I wish I hadn't read all the reviews beforehand so I didn't have a preconception to what I should expect.  I'm curious what I would have thought completely independently.  I wouldn't call it poppy, or soft, though definitely not as heavy.  I would just call it good.  It's awesome.  I didn't listen to a single song before 9/11, not even Drown.  I just put it in, hit play, (technically on my iPod, as I don't have my vinyl or CD yet) and heard 11 brand new songs of what I would consider a fun, creative, exhilarating album.  I wasn't sure if exhilarating was the word I was looking for, so I googled the exact definition, and it said "making one feel very happy, animated, or elated; thrilling", so that fits perfectly.  Perhaps it was a pleasant surprise for me, because I expected the worst.  I'd heard things like it didn't even sound like Oli, or BMTH, so I went in expecting some garbage, something real weak.  But I strongly disagree.  Thankfully it sounds exactly like them, and sounds spectacular on top of that.  I even like the lyrics.  I'm curious what you guys don't like.  That's The Spirit is innovative, and that's important, because most artists in any genre are just trying to recreate what's already out there & popular/whatever is selling on that specific day.  

I'm excited to see how this does on Billboard charts.  Let's see on paper what the rest of the world thinks.  And also excited that I get to see them in about a month.  And that I have vinyl and CD's on the way.

It sounds like top 40 collided with Breaking Benjamin. That's the bad part. The mediocre part is that it's an average radio rock album. They played Throne in between Pearl Jam and Three Days Grace on the radio today.

Personally, I like it. I can see why people don't, but that's on them. I definitely don't think it's album of the year material, but I've been enjoying it.

not sure why they are calling this a 7" box set, there's no actual vinyl in it. just a cd/beanie/stencil, dumb.

I agree.  It seems as if the box itself is just 7"?  That's my guess.  Still, a misleading name for the bundle.  

Also, I noticed those quote unquote 7" deluxe boxsets between the UK/Australia are different than those sold in the U.S.  The differences being:

UK/Australia: The box, a CD, That's The Spirit beanie, 8cm umbrella sticker, 7" umbrella stencil.

US: The box, a digipack CD with spot gloss logo & 12 page booklet (not sure if that's any different than any other CD), umbrella tote bag, aluminum umbrella pendant, 2x high quality art card prints (looks like pictures of the band), umbrella sticker sheet, umbrella phone sticker sheet.

I'm still loving this album.  Granted, I listen with an open mind & no expectations.  I'm not thinking (nor hoping) it should sound like a portrayal of previous work.  Like my dad said when I was about 12 years old & my older brother took my spot I was sitting in when I got up for a minute and I'd complained.  "Times change.  People move on."

I also like to see they're killing it on the charts.  #2 in the U.S. (technically #1 with the most physical units sold, but they now account for album streaming, which brought them to #2), #2 in the U.K., #1 in Australia, #2 New Zealand, #3 Sweden, #1 in Iraq.  Ok I made the last one up.  Who knew if you went into the studio & mashed up Nickleback & Smashmouth you'd record a hit album.  Apparently, Horizon.  Creative.

Too long of a post

Is a short 15 sentence paragraph pretty grueling?

BILLY.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...