AKG K702's are my favourite headphone of all time, i think. i have been using them to master records for about 2 years now. really nice, open mid range. a present, but not over pronnounced low end, really nice highs AND i can wear them all day with no comfort problems. also they are about $300. 

• 2 weeks later...

AKG K702's are my favourite headphone of all time, i think. i have been using them to master records for about 2 years now. really nice, open mid range. a present, but not over pronnounced low end, really nice highs AND i can wear them all day with no comfort problems. also they are about $300. 

I was so close to getting a used pair for super cheap ($150 CAD) because part of the cable had to be held together by electrical tape (which wouldn't really bother me). But then the guy tried them out and found a channel imbalance and decided that he didn't feel right selling them - fair enough, since I probably wouldn't want that either. But I've been looking for a good deal on a used pair of K702s, or alternatively K7XX from Massdrop (though I see people selling those for even greater than their full price...).

How much? Also, you'd have to ship to Canada...and that costs an arm and a moose.

$120 shipped?   My guess is that shipping will be around $25.  They're white with the green cable.  The long cable included is still in the package/never used.  The shorter cable has some milage including getting rolled over by my desk chair more than a few times but is completely functional.

For what it's worth, my daily driver headphones are the AKG K7XXs.  I find the two to be pretty similar with the main difference being that the K7xxs have a bass boost that gives them a little more bass presence but feels slightly artificial. 

The Q701s are sometimes criticized as having weak bass and it took a little getting used to, but I think it's just honest reference bass.  If you play something with bass, the bass is there.  If you don't, it's not.

Alright I might need some help/recommendation here. I'm looking for a replacement set of headphones for my Sennheiser HD518. I'm absolutely in love with it sound-wise, problem is that they're open-back. Now to me that's not a problem at all, but to my girlfriend it is, because when I'm blasting it through headphones she can hear it in the next room with all doors closed.

So, here's what I'm looking for: a set of close-back over-ear headphones, home use only through Marantz integrated amp, with an equally (if possible) spatial sound as I am used to enjoy. I'd love to keep my Sennheisers just in case, so I'm looking to spend no more than 150 bucks.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and rec's.

I think you have a few reasonable options. One of them you may consider would be the Sennheiser Momentum On Ear or Over Ear. They run less than $150 for sure (cheaper for the on ear, but I found them very uncomfortable). They sound really good but are primarily designed for on the go listening and are more of a commercial headphone rather than an audiophile style headphone.

I have pairs of AKG K545 and Shure SRH840 for closed back cans. I love the K545s. They are refined version of I think the K550 or K551. You can probably get any of those for under $150. I think one of the bigger differences between the 545s and 551s is that the ear cup is smaller (but still comfortable) and it has a detachable cable. I will say that the 545s are just slightly bright. The Shures are very accurate and honest. I was very surprised at how detailed they were with even a portable amp. Pretty decent soundstage. But they are pretty heavy. Not nearly as comfortable as my 545s.

The gold standard for closed back in that range is the Audio Technical M50/M50x. I have only listened briefly to a pair so I couldn't tell you how they compare, but they are incredibly popular and pretty easy to attain for $100 or so.

I think you have a few reasonable options. One of them you may consider would be the Sennheiser Momentum On Ear or Over Ear. They run less than $150 for sure (cheaper for the on ear, but I found them very uncomfortable). They sound really good but are primarily designed for on the go listening and are more of a commercial headphone rather than an audiophile style headphone.

I have pairs of AKG K545 and Shure SRH840 for closed back cans. I love the K545s. They are refined version of I think the K550 or K551. You can probably get any of those for under $150. I think one of the bigger differences between the 545s and 551s is that the ear cup is smaller (but still comfortable) and it has a detachable cable. I will say that the 545s are just slightly bright. The Shures are very accurate and honest. I was very surprised at how detailed they were with even a portable amp. Pretty decent soundstage. But they are pretty heavy. Not nearly as comfortable as my 545s.

The gold standard for closed back in that range is the Audio Technical M50/M50x. I have only listened briefly to a pair so I couldn't tell you how they compare, but they are incredibly popular and pretty easy to attain for $100 or so.

Thanks man, it's really helpful! I am going to look into all your rec's this afternoon.

just buy these

for her.

and rock on.

Been there, dude. Death stare...

I've been checking your rec's and searching around some more. Turns out the Sennheiser Momentum over-ear and the Shure 840 are around 50 bucks beyond my price range over here. Looking into the Audio Technica M50 I remembered having a pair years ago and returning them for not being all too happy with it.

The AKG K454 are something worth looking further into for me, but I also stumbled upon and read a lot of good things about the close-back BeyerDynamic DT 770 250. I am leaning heavily in that direction for them looking soo comfy.

Do you (or someone else of course) have an educated opinion on those?

Thanks again for your suggestions. It's well appreciated!

The AKG K454 are something worth looking further into for me

If you mean K545, then yes, definitely check them out. They're currently at a pretty low 135€ on amazon.de: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00E89AV44/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1638&creative=19454&creativeASIN=B00E89AV44

I use the bigger model K551, but still nearly pulled the trigger on 545 a couple of times. Apparently the 545 sound a bit better, and I'm already loving mine for what they cost. Also, if you're not in a hurry, set up a price watch on all four 545 colors. They all dropped down to 100€ a few times already, so I'm sure it's bound to happen again.

I was hoping to buy your headphones, but unfortunately, I am now typing this from a hospital bed thanks to the coma I entered upon viewing the crappy iPhone pics of your headphones. I just don't understand why people can't take great photos with their iPhones. It a wonderful device, really. Oh, and how could I possibly post here on VC while in a coma? Muscle memory.

• 1 month later...

If I liked headphones more I'd definitely go for the 700, granted they're closer to the 650 than 800 sound-wise, but I've spent some time with both and the price difference is just too big for the difference in performance. But yeah, I'm not a fan of using headphones really, they are just a last resort type thing for me.