Butcha's Meat Thread

I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year so I'm going to make my family eat some stuff they're not familiar with. Got some Marrow bones, thinking about doing a blood sausage stuffing, maybe charcuterie or sweetbreads.

I have always been curious and would like to know how sweetbreads taste but the knowledge of what they are is the bad part because my mind just builds a wall at a certain point :(

I have always been curious and would like to know how sweetbreads taste but the knowledge of what they are is the bad part because my mind just builds a wall at a certain point :(

They are really delicious if prepared properly. A quick search will get you instructions. I've had lamb and beef sweetbreads, but have only cooked beef at home. Need to find a butcher who has lamb, so I can do a cooking comparison.

Veal sweetbreads are killer. Here's how I used to prepare them at the last restaurant I worked at. We would boil them in cream and onions. Cool them and pick them apart. Bread them with flour and pan fry them in butter with cremini mushrooms and panchetta. Then drizzle some sherry vinegar butter over them. They taste like candy. They are one of my favorite things to eat.

Veal sweetbreads are killer. Here's how I used to prepare them at the last restaurant I worked at. We would boil them in cream and onions. Cool them and pick them apart. Bread them with flour and pan fry them in butter with cremini mushrooms and pancetta. Then drizzle some sherry vinegar butter over them. They taste like candy. They are one of my favorite things to eat.

I've always assumed they would have a buttery texture and not the kind of chew you have to put into a good piece of steak. My wife would flip out over that, gonna have to make a go at it soon and see what comes of it. You had me at Pancetta & mushrooms.... damn my leftovers are a failure now lol. That cornbread the wife made last night was something to write your great granny about!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

smoking two of these tonight. on hour 6. I decided against the water pan as it slows down the smoking time with too much moisture. these box smokers are hard to maintain at 230 degrees as it is. using apple wood for pork; duh and a variety of finer chips for a cooler smokier down time when needed. without the water it speeds the cooking up but misting with apple juice is a constant. I injected with a brine and the rub tightly wrapped in Saran Wrap for 2 days. it's been a year or two but it's always a fun time. I compare it to having a newborn baby all over again with the care and attention needed.

79B2BE81-5A4F-4E84-B3C1-E6938BA6E3ED_zps

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

What’s everyone making for thanksgiving this year? I just threw together a variety of things for my Friendsgiving I’ll be hosting this coming Sunday. 

-whole roasted turkey gumbo

-fried Brussels sprouts w/Chinese red peppers and mint

-cast iron cornbread stuffing

-seared beef tenderloin roast with grilled green onion and romesco sauce

-bacon fat dinner rolls

Hoping someone invited brings a dessert since I think my hands are pretty tied with my ideas. Let’s hear what everyone else is putting together!