What tapes do you buy?

I only have 10-12 cassettes currently. Like the rest of the people here, I too have a list of ~rules for buying cassettes.

Like Brian mentioned, I'll pick up tapes of certain bands if they are on my "B-list" of tastes. If I'm at a record store and I see a Live or Alice In Chains cassette, I'll likely pick it up bc I grew up on those bands and it brings all the nostalgia for me for just $2 or $3. I don't usually buy grunge records on vinyl bc they're always so expensive and constantly being repressed with higher and higher price tags. I also picked up both Beach Slang EPs on cassette a few months back simply because I didn't think I'd listen to the 2 7"s even though I really like the songs. I find that based on the production of those two releases, the cassette works really well and was a cheaper and more convenient option for me at the time. (Plus less getting up and flipping/changing 7"s!)

I'll also pick up a cassette if I hear a smaller/newer band for the first time and like what I hear. That's how I ended up with Waypoint's Solus single on cassette.

I collect everything (CDs, cassettes, vinyl) for two artists: Ben Howard & Halsey. Each have 1 cassette out and I bought both of them to keep my collection complete. The Early November had a cassette bundled with their Imbue preorder so I picked that up just because. Turns out that record is killer and sometimes I just wanna come home and throw on the cassette while I clean so I'm not worrying about dust getting on the vinyl while I'm cleaning.

For me it's easier to store, more convenient to listen to, and a lot cheaper to buy. All the tapes I've bought I've listened to at least once even if I ended up not like it. With that being said, I try to pick up a few others from bands I've been meaning to check out. Buying a $5-7 cassette for an album I might not like is a lot less risky than a $15-20 record. It's a great way to find new music.

How many tapes does everyone have? I'm sitting at approximately 150.

I have 86 with 19 incoming (105 total)

I collect everything (CDs, cassettes, vinyl) for two artists: Ben Howard & Halsey. Each have 1 cassette out and I bought both of them to keep my collection complete. The Early November had a cassette bundled with their Imbue preorder so I picked that up just because. Turns out that record is killer and sometimes I just wanna come home and throw on the cassette while I clean so I'm not worrying about dust getting on the vinyl while I'm cleaning.

Cool, there is a Halsey cassette? Guess I missed that info due to the mysoginsts shutting the Halsey thread down. Lol

• 5 weeks later...

I am at around 65 cassettes.

And I must say, some of the ideas in this thread about "what to collect" are just laughable. I think users like Blaine and e r i k n e s s, have the right idea - and that is collecting of a band or discography. 

I don't think there is anything that is set-in-stone that users should/or should not collect. I mean, if you like a band, and a tape of a certain album of theirs is available, buy it, it's that simple. 

I have been collecting tapes for a while now, and now some users here are saying - "well, it's not DIY or Lo-Fi so it's not good enough" that is stupid. Personally, I love finding tapes of favorite albums that I did not know exist and then add them to my collection. I have a list I like to add to that shows where I have albums on the 3 major formats - Cassette, CD, Vinyl (it is up to about 20 albums). 

Mainly though, I have been collecting tapes from the Asian markets for a while now, because they (Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia etc.) still produced good quality cassettes up until 2007 (with very few tapes released in 2008). They were manufactured well and had full and complete artwork. Also, I think it's funny, the Asian market finally gets into CDs and stops producing Cassettes and then Cassettes have a resurgence in the West. 

I was reminded of this thread viewing the SRC Blink tape thread, and I had been wanting to say this for a while in this thread. 

Mainly though, I have been collecting tapes from the Asian markets for a while now, because they (Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia etc.) still produced good quality cassettes up until 2007 (with very few tapes released in 2008). They were manufactured well and had full and complete artwork. Also, I think it's funny, the Asian market finally gets into CDs and stops producing Cassettes and then Cassettes have a resurgence in the West. 

i've always wondered about the quality of those asian market tapes. i've seen them for cheap on ebay for years now and just never got up the courage to buy any.

i've always wondered about the quality of those asian market tapes. i've seen them for cheap on ebay for years now and just never got up the courage to buy any.

The quality on the cassettes are usually really good. The thing is, there is a wider selection of albums that have been released in Indonesia, but in my opinion, if you have the option of the same album from Indonesia or Thailand - it seems the Thailand versions of albums are slightly better(sound-wise and art).

For instance, I have The Ataris "So Long, Astoria" from both Thailand and Indonesia. And if I compare them, I feel the Thailand version is superior.  The Thailand "Astoria" sounds better and the ink on the tape itself has the font style of the album. There is another example I can say, Finch "What It Is To Burn" - Thailand is better - the art is better and sounds better than the Indonesian counterpart. 

Then there are Malaysian cassettes, and I have not really been able to compare, but the one Malaysian tape I do have - Finch "What It Is To Burn" seems  kind of like a bootleg cassette. You can tell a tape is a Malaysian press because the tapes usually come with a square holographic sticker affixed to the art on the front. 

The quality on the cassettes are usually really good. The thing is, there is a wider selection of albums that have been released in Indonesia, but in my opinion, if you have the option of the same album from Indonesia or Thailand - it seems the Thailand versions of albums are slightly better(sound-wise and art).

For instance, I have The Ataris "So Long, Astoria" from both Thailand and Indonesia. And if I compare them, I feel the Thailand version is superior.  The Thailand "Astoria" sounds better and the ink on the tape itself has the font style of the album. There is another example I can say, Finch "What It Is To Burn" - Thailand is better - the art is better and sounds better than the Indonesian counterpart. 

Then there are Malaysian cassettes, and I have not really been able to compare, but the one Malaysian tape I do have - Finch "What It Is To Burn" seems  kind of like a bootleg cassette. You can tell a tape is a Malaysian press because the tapes usually come with a square holographic sticker affixed to the art on the front. 

this is awesome information, thank you so much! i'll keep an eye out for thailand releases :)

• 2 weeks later...

won't pay more than $5 for a new release on cassette.

I often buy older stuff at thrift stores that would set me back money wise if I was purchasing the vinyl format. There are albums I'm content to own on Cassette for $1 but I won't through out the going median on discogs to acquire the release on vinyl.

• 3 weeks later...

For me it depends on the price of the tape, how much I like that album/band, and if I'm a collector or not of that artist. Although I'm a sucker for anything in rarity, so if the tape was out of 50 or something I would probably end up getting it.  Also I've noticed that artists are getting adventurous with colors for tapes now since I've seen swirl colored tapes and half and half colored tapes which can also be tempting to snag as well.

However, in my opinion the heavier the band the more I want to get the tape.  I personally think its hilarious/amazing when a Death Metal, Death Grind/Grindcore, Deathcore band, etc releases something on cassette tape, which is part of the reason why I have bought 1349 and Beyond Creation tapes.