Deafheaven - New Bermuda

First of all, using the term in any matter is childish and discriminatory whether its meant or not as a homophic slur.

Secondly, the politically correct police who are trying to punish the whole band for something one person possibly said in a jokingly manner on social media years ago needs to get a fucking grip. Its uncalled for unless there is actual evidence of a serious crime.

Thirdly, fuck all these music blogs here lately. They're all tabloids digging for clicks. Yea, im looking at you Noisey.

Who gives a fuck? He obviously wasn't being directly talking about gay people with the use of that word. Nobody uses that word to actually refer to gay people. At least that's the case where I live/grew up. Gay people are cool. Faggots aren't gay people. That is the classical definition, yes, but noooobody uses it in that context any more, and if they do, they're stupid and lame.

Anyway, this is a pathetic excuse for news.

So much of what you just said is incredibly wrong.

People definitely still use faggot as a term to refer to gay people, first of all.

Secondly, it's not the "classical definition," it's an appropriation of a word with a very different meaning that was twisted into an insult.

People would certainly get offended if someone was going around calling people they thought were "uncool" niggers, and saying, "I wasn't saying it because they're black, they're just real jerks and I don't like them."

I get that the PC police are out in full force and people are getting sick of it, but c'mon. Most five year olds know better than to call someone a faggot.

I read those tweets and thought they were pretty funny. I am not easily offended because life is too short and pointless anyway, you nerds.

How immature do you have to be to think calling people faggots is funny? I would honestly like to hear your reasoning behind those tweets being funny. I'm not even trying to go crazy PC police here...but this is pretty elementary stuff...but I guess it's pretty pointless to be arguing about this with someone who joked that he would be raping people at the Dallas date of the As Cities Burn tour.

How immature do you have to be to think calling people faggots is funny? I would honestly like to hear your reasoning behind those tweets being funny. I'm not even trying to go crazy PC police here...but this is pretty elementary stuff...but I guess it's pretty pointless to be arguing about this with someone who joked that he would be raping people at the Dallas date of the As Cities Burn tour.

Now that we've established that Kerry McCoy is a jerk and a homophobic (at least four years ago) I'm going to cancel all 5 POs of New Bermuda. It is no longer a contender for "album of the year" for me, but is now, instead, "top ten worst of the decade".

Now that we've established that Kerry McCoy is a jerk and a homophobic (at least four years ago) I'm going to cancel all 5 POs of New Bermuda. It is no longer is a contender for "album of the year" for me, but is now, instead, "top ten worst of the decade".

Completely irrelevant response. You're dodging the point. You thought the tweets were "funny", which is pretty disgusting. (I'm not cancelling my preorder). Oh well, I'm done arguing this. Hopefully someday you will realize that using someone's sexuality as an insult, or making a joke about sexual assault isn't funny whatsoever.

Completely irrelevant response. You're dodging the point. You thought the tweets were "funny", which is pretty disgusting. (I'm not cancelling my preorder). Oh well, I'm done arguing this. Hopefully someday you will realize that making a joke out of someone's sexuality or about sexual assault isn't funny whatsoever.

Welp, there goes their Apple endorsement...

deafheavenapple.jpg

I certainly don't condone the use of the word "faggot", even if it was done in jest.  That being said, I do think it's unfortunate that someone was scrounging for news and this is what they dug up and published.  The Tweets are 3 years old, hopefully he has grown up, if not, he's probably not a very fun individual to be around if that's what's going on in his head.  I think this will financially impact the band, at least in the short term.  They very well could lose endorsements, such as Apple, which sucks no that it's almost impossible to make a comfortable living as a musician and they put out some solid music and live shows.

First of all, using the term in any matter is childish and discriminatory whether its meant or not as a homophic slur.

Secondly, the politically correct police who are trying to punish the whole band for something one person possibly said in a jokingly manner on social media years ago needs to get a fucking grip. Its uncalled for unless there is actual evidence of a serious crime.

Thirdly, fuck all these music blogs here lately. They're all tabloids digging for clicks. Yea, im looking at you Noisey.

I believe it's important for this kind of information to be out there and available. I do not believe that these articles are being published as genuine PSAs and are all about the clicks, however this stuff needs to be reported on.

A lot of people do not want to support art created by homophobes and bigots, and this allows the individual to make up their own mind. If homophobic slurs are okay with you, you'll have no problem still supporting the band. If you think homophobic slurs are wrong, then this probably enough reason for you to steer clear of the band. It's pretty easy.

I believe it's important for this kind of information to be out there and available. I do not believe that these articles are being published as genuine PSAs and are all about the clicks, however this stuff needs to be reported on.

A lot of people do not want to support art created by homophobes and bigots, and this allows the individual to make up their own mind. If homophobic slurs are okay with you, you'll have no problem still supporting the band. If you think homophobic slurs are wrong, then this probably enough reason for you to steer clear of the band. It's pretty easy.

Nah thats so fucking backwards. There's a line to be drawn. Outing serious offenders and criminals is something. This is petty, TMZ level reporting. Twitter is public and if it was a big deal it would have been brought out sooner. These are tweets from 2011 for gods sake.

Art can be appreciated regardless of the creator. Bad people can make good art. When I buy something I am buying the product. I guarantee quite a bit of the stuff you own digital or physical goods were created by (closeted) racists, bigots, anti-transgender ect.

But this isnt even the case here. If you want to not purchase from a collective band because one person doesn't line perfectly with your world views thats your prerogative. Its a free market. Everyone has something to hide. You'll never find a group of perfect people. Listen to the music.

Ive been a strong advocate for gay rights. I know people that are gay or pro-gay rights as well and have used the word "faggot" in some manner. Some people use it without thinking about the words meaning. To say im homophobic for listening or supporting this band is incomprehensible.

Unless their lyrics are homophobic or discriminatory explicitly and again physical evidence of hate crimes being committed (or he himself says he is homophobic in some manner). Until further notice, I will support the band. 

Edit: To add on. For example this is another recent artist's tweet that blew up. I would not support this artist at all in any manner. 

http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.35662/title.azealia-banks-reportedly-compares-lgbt-community-to-the-ku-klux-klan

Nah thats so fucking backwards. There's a line to be drawn. Outing serious offenders and criminals is something. This is petty, TMZ level reporting. Twitter is public and if it was a big deal it would have been brought out sooner. These are tweets from 2011 for gods sake.

Art can be appreciated regardless of the creator. Bad people can make good art. When I buy something I am buying the product. I guarantee quite a bit of the stuff you own digital or physical goods were created by (closeted) racists, bigots, anti-transgender ect.

But this isnt even the case here. If you want to not purchase from a collective band because one person doesn't line perfectly with your world views thats your prerogative. Its a free market. Everyone has something to hide. You'll never find a group of perfect people. Listen to the music.

Ive been a strong advocate for gay rights. I know people that are gay or pro-gay rights as well and have used the word "faggot" in some manner. Some people use it without thinking about the words meaning. To say im homophobic for listening or supporting this band is incomprehensible.

Unless their lyrics are homophobic or discriminatory explicitly and again physical evidence of hate crimes being committed (or he himself says he is homophobic in some manner). Until further notice, I will support the band. 

I did not say you were homophobic, sir. I said that the slurs used by the individual in question were homophobic.

The information is out there, everybody who cares will process it however they see fit. Of course it's clickbait journalism, I acknowledged as much in the post you quoted. However it's also good that people are aware of this kind of thing, and that the discussions about why hate speech is unacceptable can happen. It's so very clearly a huge issue embedded within our culture, and the fact that there are still people who are all "lol, it's no big deal" is enough for me to believe that the articles are warranted.

If you are cool with it or think it's okay cause it was in the past, do whatever you want, nobody is going to stop you. Plenty of other people will agree with you and see these slurs as no big deal too.

But in my opinion a person using the word "faggot" over and over again is a pretty hateful act and a band being accepting of a person that hateful to the point of allowing him to continue playing with them in their band is enough for me to not want to support them. Even if it was a few years ago, I still don't think it's cool. It's not like this guy was 12 when it happened, he was an adult.

Simply, I would rather give that money to bands who don't tweet the word "faggot" over and over again.

Two things:

between this and the Nazi salutes ive seen at the live shows it all makes sense to me. I for one have lost interest in this band

1st: Hahahaha, no - not Nazi salutes. Just like George isn't a skinhead, he just shave(d) his head.

2nd: Is anyone else interested in the means used to find these slurs? I wanna know the story. Did someone just remember it and go back digging? Or is this what clickbait journalists are paid to do? Like, is someone just scrolling through the social media feeds of popular artists just HOPING to find something offensive?

This almost reminds me of last week's current events lock in the BN thread. This time, it involves an actual band member, hopefully safe. Just FYI.

Will unlock soon, this thread is being bumped with unrelated content. If you wish to discuss Brand New in general please go to the dedicated thread linked a few posts back. If you want to discuss current news events I urge you to make a topic for it on the ETE board.

2nd: Is anyone else interested in the means used to find these slurs? I wanna know the story. Did someone just remember it and go back digging? Or is this what clickbait journalists are paid to do? Like, is someone just scrolling through the social media feeds of popular artists just HOPING to find something offensive?

Adults using words as ugly and hurtful as that isn't really something that you easily forget. It's one of those things that sticks around and tarnishes that person in your mind forever. Someone probably recalled him speaking like that on twitter and told someone else that he was a shitty homophobe and that person they told didn't believe them so they took the time to dig up the proof and realised that in reality it was actually way worse than they had remembered.

Adults using words as ugly and hurtful as that isn't really something that you easily forget. It's one of those things that sticks around and tarnishes that person in your mind forever. Someone probably recalled him speaking like that on twitter and told someone else that he was a shitty homophobe and that person they told didn't believe them so they took the time to dig up the proof and realised that in reality it was actually way worse than they had remembered.

Is it hard to go through life being so offended by everything around you?  I'm just curious, does it physically hurt? I can't imagine what it must be like to feel so much about things that do not affect me in any way.

Is it hard to go through life being so offended by everything around you?  I'm just curious, does it physically hurt? I can't imagine what it must be like to feel so much about things that do not affect me in any way.

And here's the key. You aren't affected by it, therefore it doesn't bother you. However, there are plenty of other people out there that it does bother. What does it hurt to try to consider other people before you speak? I'd imagine there are things that offend you, that you would appreciate if people would extend the same courtesy

As for the whole Twitter situation, personally I'm gonna give the dude benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. I've certainly said my fair share of idiotic, hurtful things on the internet in the past (though admittedly nothing along these lines). I'm not excusing this in any way, just noting that it's a learning process and hopefully he has matured since those were posted, issues a sincere apology and doesn't do something like it again