FoB - FUtCT surface noise?

I recently acquired a copy of Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree. It's the black FBR109 pressing. I got it on the deck and the surface noise from it is pretty harsh. You can hear it on some of the intros to songs as well as in between tracks. 

It was sold as NM and I wasn't expecting any noise at all. Is it a common issue with the pressing or have I just got a poor copy?

Thanks for any input - really gutted as I've been after it for some time!

IMO carbon fibre brush will get bigger pieces of crap.. not the finer stuff

How old is the cart?? do you have the down force set correctly??

sorry for the question.. id try giving the record a deep clean.. few different ways to do it .. i use Record Reviginizer ... there are other cheaper ways out there though... if that fails your stylus maybe old and need replacing ...or ... the down force has been set too heavy and as a result damaged the stylus which in turn would require a new stylus...

or simply and probably the MOST LIKELY the person you bought it from has a crosley or Aldi brand record player and has damaged the surface :( to which there is no fixing that...

i have all 4 variants of the first press of this record and they are ALL perfect 

I'm just about to order an Onzow Zerodust to give the stylus a going over too just to ensure it isn't me at all.

i use a piece of Basotect (Melamine Resin Foam) the same way as their instruction video... it works just as well. :)

i should say though Basotect ... if used incorrectly will damage objects.

MoonGel also works :)

IMO carbon fibre brush will get bigger pieces of crap.. not the finer stuff

How old is the cart?? do you have the down force set correctly??

sorry for the question.. id try giving the record a deep clean.. few different ways to do it .. i use Record Reviginizer ... there are other cheaper ways out there though... if that fails your stylus maybe old and need replacing ...or ... the down force has been set too heavy and as a result damaged the stylus which in turn would require a new stylus...

or simply and probably the MOST LIKELY the person you bought it from has a crosley or Aldi brand record player and has damaged the surface :( to which there is no fixing that...

i have all 4 variants of the first press of this record and they are ALL perfect 

I really appreciate all the suggestions and input. I'm going to spend some time tomorrow (half day at work!) resetting up the down force but I really think it's okay. I'll grab the microscope and check out the needle head too, on naked eye inspection it looks fine...

Deep clean of the record is something I will look at. I don't want to go mad on this as it may be (and probably is) as you say, the setup they used has damaged it. I'm going to play it on a friends setup tomorrow and see how it sounds there.

Will update once I've given all that a go!

Good Luck :)

Well, after quite a long time resetting the tonearm balance and tracking (now perfectly set to 1.5g as recommended) there is still some surface noise on the record. I've check the stylus as best I can, just need further inspection under extreme magnification and it looks okay. Hasn't flattened and isn't covered in gunk.

I did however notice that when the desk is spinning it 'bobs' up and down slightly. This seems to be on all records so assume this is the record play. The plate is flat and I'm not really sure what else it could be or whether this is an issue?

Well, after quite a long time resetting the tonearm balance and tracking (now perfectly set to 1.5g as recommended) there is still some surface noise on the record. I've check the stylus as best I can, just need further inspection under extreme magnification and it looks okay. Hasn't flattened and isn't covered in gunk.

I did however notice that when the desk is spinning it 'bobs' up and down slightly. This seems to be on all records so assume this is the record play. The plate is flat and I'm not really sure what else it could be or whether this is an issue?

I think that just means the record is slightly warped, and pretty much all records nowadays are, even just a little.