Completely Newbie Wondering how my setup is

So last year i started a new job and the owner had a turntable and played records daily. After less then a week I was hooked and wanted to start a vinyl collection and have a nice setup. Now I'm far from being able to afford a $1000 setup or even a $500 setup. Im all about being patient and looking for the best deals which is what I did. My boss bought 2 vintage receivers and gave me one for free a Kenwood KR-3600 I was excited I love the vintage look. So I wanted to get a vintage turntable. Craigslist everything was $100+ and I didnt really have it. Well one day I was talking to a guy at an auction and told him i was looking for vinyl he tells me he will sell a collection a guy gave him along with a turntable for $60 I bought it right away. It was a Toshiba SR-255 Love the look. Also at the auction I managed to pick up an Polk Audio Monitor 60 for only $20. The Toshiba had no headshell so had to order it and the stylus off amazon Audio-Technica Universal Headshell (AT-HS1) and Audio-Technica Dual Magnet Phono Cartridge (AT95E).

Im just wondering how decent my set up is. and what to improve first and with what. 

List again

Kenwood KR-3600

Toshiba SR-255

Polk Audio Monitor 60 (only have 1 at the moment)

Audio-Technica Dual Magnet Phono Cartridge (AT95E)

Audio-Technica Universal Headshell (AT-HS1)

I do get some humming when i have both left and right plugged into the receiver from the turntable. I do have the ground plugged in. I've tried reading the forums but I get confused pretty easy when I cant ask the questions from the beginning. Here are a couple pics as well

1434655937372.jpgIMAG1469.jpg1433895821331.jpgIMAG1022.jpg

The good news is that the Kenwood and the Toshiba are perfectly good starting points, nothing great but perfectly good to start from.

The bad news is it must sound bloody awful, one speaker, did I read that right? A pair of pretty much anything is better than one speaker plus a lot of older amplifiers don't like running their outputs into no load so if you only have one speaker wired up the other output is not going to be happy and you are running the risk of damaging it or did you wire one side to one set of terminals on the speaker and the other side to the other set of terminals on the speaker? Because that would also be very bad

Either way get a pair of speakers (which means they need to be 2 speakers the same not just 2 random speakers), get the thing wired up properly and very importantly you need to get the turntable ground wired up properly, there will be a binding post or screw on the back of the receiver to take the ground to.

Set up accounts on the vinyl engine and hifi engine sites and you will probably find the manuals and instructions up there to download for free and they will help a lot.

If you go to Goodwill they'll probably have some shitty speakers you can use as a hold me over until you can get a nice pair. You can usually tell how good the speakers are (as a rule of thumb, not always the case) by how heavy they are. More weight generally means that they're better and is a decent gauge when you aren't familiar with brands.