Road Trip Record Store Recommendations NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, LA, MI, TN and KY

Like it says in the title I’m after after record store recommendations in those states because on Saturday the 8th of August I'm flying with the family to the US for a 3 week road trip starting in Charlotte and winding through NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, LA, MI, TN and KY and back to Charlotte so I'm looking for record store recommendations.

I haven't exactly decided the route yet so any suggestions will be helpful, the internet is a wonderful tool for finding stuff but you can't beat a little local knowledge.

My wife already has her rolling eyes face perfected and my little girl has told me that my records are not going in her case, lack of family support aside I won't let these minor setbacks stop me

Thanks in advance for any help.

Allen, if you are in Charleston SC (a beautiful city) go to Monster Music and Video. I visited in April. I wasn't impressed by the used selection, but they had loads of new, including RSD stuff and other things that were OOP sitting in the bins waiting for in store shoppers to come from out of town.

Ok will do thanks, I will certainly be heading that way

Alabama:

Huntsville -- Vertical House Records at The Lowe Mill

Birmingham -- Seasick Records, Charlemagne Records, Rennaissance Records

Montgomery -- The Record Stop

Florida:

Seaside -- Central Square

Thanks Charlemagne and Rennaissance look to be pretty close together so I'll see if I can engineer a stop close by

Georgia:

Atlanta: check out Criminal Records in Five Points (Also swing in Junkman's Daughter--if it's still there)

Athens: Wuxtry Records is a small but great store downtown (bonus: upstairs is a comic shop called Bizzaro Wuxtry)

Also eat at the Grill (delicious diner), The Grit (vegetarian/ vegan joint that's banging), or Taco Stand (very Americana Mexican food). Those places were staples of my childhood. Plenty of good bars and a great music scene in Athens (keep your eyes open for members of REM and Neutral Milk Hotel/ Twin Powers/ Elephant 6. It's not uncommon to see them downtown. It doesn't happen daily, but you never know).

Savannah: Graveface Records and Curiosities. They have all kinds of stuff. Truly a great store.

I can only assume based on Nashville and your avatar that you will be going to Third Man and spending all of your money, so definitely do that if you're a fan. I'm not and the place looks pretty cool!

Thanks Charlemagne and Rennaissance look to be pretty close together so I'll see if I can engineer a stop close by

Honestly I found both of these stores to be not really worth a visit.  If you're there, Renaissance was definitely better but not worth making the stop in my opinion.

Nashville: Fond Object is great.  And as someone else said Grimeys // Grimeys Too

Georgia: Everything Fowty Dollaz recommended.

Where in NC?  If you're going to Asheville, its not a record store but the Moog Factory is worth stopping at.  Static Age and Harvest for record stores.

Honestly I found both of these stores to be not really worth a visit. If you're there, Renaissance was definitely better but not worth making the stop in my opinion.

All depends on what you're looking for and how much time you have to spend there. Both stores are poorly organized, so it takes a bit to rifle through the places, but I've never left either store empty handed. But if you're looking for new vinyl, Seasick is definitely your spot in BHam

Sweet! My sister lived in Nashville for a few years, so if you're looking for some recommendations on stuff to do let me know.

We have a little list of stuff we wanna see and do in Nashville already but any suggestions are welcome.

Were in danger of information overload on this trip though as my wife contacted all the tourist offices in all the places we are going to and most have posted us guide books, the ones that wouldn't post to the UK we got sent to my parents in PA so I think there will be a fair amount of backseat driving I'm going to need to tune out.