PO Now: Beach Slang - The Things We Do To Find People Who Feel Like Us

I've been hoping/thinking it was a shitty day/argument between the group, who is usually in good spirits. I've had historic arguments with my wife, and we both are aware during them that it is only venting. Next day or three we hash it out and are back cooking deviled eggs or whatever the hell it is we do

Having seen Weston a half dozen times and having seen Beach Slang, James isn't the same person.  There's something off about him.  The overly positive, lovely tone has always seemed to me to be a cover for something.  I love this band, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that James has a substance abuse problem and needs help.  Don't quote me on that, it's not based on any knowledge or facts, it's just the vibe I get.

Having seen Weston a half dozen times and having seen Beach Slang, James isn't the same person. There's something off about him. The overly positive, lovely tone has always seemed to me to be a cover for something. I love this band, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that James has a substance abuse problem and needs help. Don't quote me on that, it's not based on any knowledge or facts, it's just the vibe I get.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

In Martin's defense he said that's the vibe he gets, not that it was true. He didn't accuse him of a crime.

I got a weird vibe from that statement too, as well as some other things I heard that I won't speculate on over the internet. I do thoroughly enjoy their music though even with some of the off things I've heard/noticed.

same. everything feels weird. I like them. I have tickets to the show on Thursday. half of me feels compelled to go in case it's the last show. other half just doesn't care. I saw them in November (but only a 30 min set), I'm old and it's a weekday night on drinko de mayo with about an hour drive into LA for me. i think I'll make my decision about going after seeing how the next few shows go.

I won't speculate any sort of substance abuse problems or anything else. But people who are so outwardly positive all the time always seem to be overcompensating for something. That's always something different for different people, but eventually you push that down so long that it all comes pouring out at once.

It can manifest itself like this did where it sounds like it was infecting the band, or how Chris Conley of Saves the Day lost it on a crowd a couple months ago. That doesn't mean they still aren't good people, but carrying the weight of constant positivity will weigh anyone down.

Or whatever. Who knows.

I always thought he was probably too dark and too cynical at one point in his life and did something to change it. Now he is now overly positive which can be a bit much sometimes, but obviously a better place/mindset to be in.. it's also something I'm working on myself at the moment

20 hours ago, gutzonborglum said:

Is it really so wild considering the the comments made and that half of their songs include drug references?
And to reiterate, it's simply an educated guess and not based on any real information.

As I recall this was - verbatim - how Einstein presented his theory.

I have more evidence for my theory than there is for the "multiple universe" theory.  

20 hours ago, gutzonborglum said:

Is it really so wild considering the the comments made and that half of their songs include drug references?
And to reiterate, it's simply an educated guess and not based on any real information.

As I recall this was - verbatim - how Einstein presented his theory.

I have more evidence for my theory than there is for the "multiple universe" theory.  

I emailed by buddy (huge Weston and Beach Slang fan) the clip from the SLC show and his response made me chuckle:

This is bullshit. I have no intel other than that guy James Alex seems really annoying and emotional and is always babbling. Being locked in a van with him for weeks on end probably wears thin. Then you reach a Mormon state where you can't get full strength booze and whammo. 

• 2 months later...