PO Now: Alex G - Beach Music

I've listened to it three times and it is amazing. 

Salt is way different tho. 

Yeah, wasn't sure what I thought about that at first (a drum machine?!). I'm just listening through for a fourth time, and a lot of the songs have grown on me already. DSU was kinda the same, a few songs didn't really click until I'd had a few listens, and that ended up being a pretty strong AOTY contender for me. 

It's definitely awesome though, liking it a lot.

If it was up to him it'd be way out there and for free months ago

Yeah I know, that's totally a factor too. He's made it very apparent he supports free digital downloads. It's almost done downloading and I can't wait... I guess if it wasn't for domino we woulda had this like half a year ago already. But i'd definitely rather wait a bit and in turn have the music get the recognition it deserves thanks to domino's publicity 

It's obviously shit for a lot of reasons that it leaked way in advance (particularly for Domino), but hopefully some good will come of it. I know for a fact that Alex has such a cult following and that 90% of the people in this thread have bought the record already (some people more than once). Really hope the new label sign will eventually gives him more listeners. Of course I can't speak for Alex but I'm sure he's somewhat happy that people are finally hearing it -- even if it is a little early.

That being said, first impressions are that it's incredible. Walk is giving me Skipper vibes so it's an instant A+ for me.  :wub:

Well when you consider that the record has already sold over a thousand records @ $25 a pop and 300 tapes at $8 a pop and who knows how many digital preorders at $10 a pop; CDs....

is the leak really hurting it commercially?? It may be beneficial really.. I mean now people who aren't familiar with alex's catalog may be exposed to these new songs before release and feel compelled to get the record or CD preordered. I can't really see this doing much harm.. Alex is on an unstoppable trajectory anyway

I for one am very happy we weren't given half the album before release for the sake of press after just listening through for the first time...

That was the most rewarding first listen for any album in over half a decade at least in my opinion. there were tears, man. It's beautiful it's without flaw there is such a contradictory pensive warmth throughout the album that I haven't personally experienced through song since elliott smith's work. And a lot of this album reminds me of elliott's sentiment and approach.. Beach music is very different in a lot of places from alex's previous releases... I'll hafta blurt out all my thoughts in more detail after work tonight. 

I mean, everyone knows I of all people had ridiculous expectations.. but they've been completely obliterated and surpassed in previously unimaginable ways

I'm sure Domino had a plan laid out to debut songs here and there with different sites. The leak being out affects the amount of traffic the songs will generate which definitely is not a plus.

Who knows, though? People who hadn't heard of Alex and don't know it leaked won't affect them, and word of mouth of this album being great can only help bring more people to listen.

New age of music, word of mouth hype is probably the most important thing at this point

I can definitely see the Elliott Smith comparison. IMO Alex G is one of the most talented and promising songwriters of this generation, truly under-appreciated, but I think that's bound to change.

Multiple listens has me enjoying the album more and more. I, too, find that his songs take quite a few listens to really sink in. He doesn't usually use a lot of huge instrumental flourishes or gimmicks to hook in the listener, so for a lot of people, if they don't get grabbed at first listen they never return. It's really a shame, because his songs are all slow growers that eventually blow you out of the water.

There's no real "Harvey" flutes melody moment here - something that instantly burrows itself into your brain. I'm not sure that it really needs it, though. Kicker is incredible - probably the closest to this record's "Harvey" in terms of immediate appeal.

I think Alex's sonic experimentation is more successful in the context of the album here - it doesn't feel as isolated and out-of-place as "Promise" did on DSU. In Love is absolutely gorgeous - did not expect to hear Alex straining his voice to the breaking point and crudely crooning over strange, soft jazz instrumentals. Salt was also a big surprise.

Really enjoying the record so far. Again, I'm not sure it replicates the same "I can't believe how many standout melodies are on this one album" feeling that DSU had going for it, but I didn't feel that way about DSU until quite a few listens, so I could be wrong!