Ortofon 2M Blue Problem

So I just bought a 2M Blue stylus to replace the Red (stylus only, still a Red cart), and there's a noticeable drop in volume. If I turn the volume, the sound isn't that far removed from my Red (you'd have to do a side by side, moment by moment comparison to hear any difference at all, really).

Any ideas what the problem could be? I've ordered a replacement - should be here tomorrow - but all advice welcome in the meantime.

Using:

Pro-ject Carbon Esprit SB

Pro-ject Phono Box MM

Cambridge 651A

Wharfedale Diamond 220i

I do not understand what you are asking

The blue/red cart is the same

And than this is the confusing part: there's a noticeable drop in volume. If I turn the volume, the sound isn't that far removed from my Red (you'd have to do a side by side, moment by moment comparison to hear any difference at all, really).

So its noticeable but you hear no difference?

Or are you saying you notice no difference in the sound of both? Because I have used both. Its not like you are using a Crosly and than goto a proper setup with a 2m blue. I have noticed the 2m blue tracks better and sounds a little clearer when things can get muddy

Sorry about that folks - had to dash that down quickly while traveling.

There is a noticeable drop in volume going from the Red to the Blue, on the same records, same tracks, same set up, etc. despite both carts having the same output (as listed in the technical specs for the carts).

To add to this, there's very little difference, sonically, between the Red and the Blue, even after cranking up the volume so that the Blue plays at roughly the same level as the Red. There's a mass of forum posts and needledrops that show the sonic differences between the Blue and the Red, and I'm not hearing any of those at the minute.

I was pretty careful while loading the stylus, but I checked both the Red and the Blue multiple times, and the Red is definitely louder.

There's one forum post (don't recall the forum now, but if you Google 'Ortofon 2M Blue Volume' it's the first to come up) where someone had the same problem. Turned out to be a defective cart.

SOLVED.

New stylus arrived and the difference was obvious straight away: greater output volume, deeper and more controlled bass (than the Red), more definition and detail between instruments, and a better tone and timbre on strung instruments and high vocals. It also dials down the Red's annoying brightness on the high hats, so I'm no longer reaching for the treble just to try to control it.