How do you reduce needle jumping?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Or is there a forum for this?

I keep my needle weighted down at a decent weight.

I dont want to wear down my favorite Lps..

All i could think of is a wall mount..

But seriously i cant even walk neer my turntable..

I live in a apartment so my floors arnt crazy sturdy

Thank!

Do you have the counterweight set up? Did you set the tone arm weight properly? I think it outlines what setting to have it at in the User book that comes with the table. You should not have any needle jumping issues with the table unless it's set very precariously and unevenly, or it's set up right on the floor next to where you are walking, and your floor is also made of the material of a trampoline :P

I bought a stylus gauge on ebay from China for cheap - took about six weeks to show up, but it does the job. Some folks might recommend a better one for higher accuracy, but I can't speak to that...

Do you have the anti-skate working? 

What kind of surface is the turntable on? Is there anything else on the same surface? 

I have a Debut Carbon and found it did skip a bit when I didn't have the weight right - I'm guessing you've played around with it before with no avail? Perhaps someone else has more suggestions?

Just re set everything perfectly. And still getting jumping. Hmm gunna buy a gauge today.

I just dont wanna weigh the needle down to much that it causes damage..

I might just say fuck it and wall mount it.

Im not slamming through the house like an animal.

I litterally cant even walk comfortably near the turntable without it skipping

Im a 150 pounds if anyone wants to know hahahaha!!

I don't mean to sound condescending here, just an honest question from someone who struggles with this myself - did you read the instruction manual when you set your tonearm up? Should be pretty basic for you on a pro-ject even without a gauge. 

So you balanced the tonearm, rotated just the inner half to 0, then rotated the entire counter-weight to around 1.75g (I think that's between 15 and 20 if I remember?), then attached your anti-skate weight? 

You should be able to get very close to the correct stylus force by simply setting it up per Pro-Ject's instructions. Definitely good enough that the needle wouldn't be bouncing around due to footsteps. If you want to get precise, I recommend the Shure stylus force gauge:

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SFG-2-Stylus-Tracking-Force/dp/B00006I5SD

If the tracking force and anti skate are definately correct you could try the half tennis ball trick.

As the name implies you cut tennis balls in half and use one half under each turntable foot placed cut side down. It's an old trick primarily for badly sprung turntables like some Duals or Pioneer PL12's etc. It can be used with with fixed tables like Project's and Rega's as well on bouncy floors so could be worth a try but by the sounds of things your floors are pretty bad.

I would invest in a tracking force scale as well though as the scales on the weights are not always accurate and a cheap scale is always useful.

Yes. I read the manual and followed all the instructions.

Had the anti-skate and needle guard off while I balanced the arm.

Had it floating over the platter set it to about 18.

The recommended downforce for Ortofon 2M Red cartridge is 17,5mN.

And at that DF they recomend puting the anti-skate on the middle (2nd) bearing ring.

All sound good?

Ill try the tennis ball trick As well

You still haven't answered the only question that matters.... is the player on the floor??

It should not be. Put it on a table or shelf or the ikea storage unit of your choice. It should not be on the ground.

If you have to wall mount it to get it off the floor, then do it. If you are following the instructions in the manual (which it sounds like you are), then the only thing left to do is get it off the floor.

You still haven't answered the only question that matters.... is the player on the floor??

It should not be. Put it on a table or shelf or the ikea storage unit of your choice. It should not be on the ground.

I thought the OP said it was on an Ikea like cube organizer. I took this to mean some Kallax type shelf.

I thought the OP said it was on an Ikea like cube organizer. I took this to mean some Kallax type shelf.

I have the anti-skate on. And i have it on an IKEA like shelf 8 cube organizer. 

AH you are right. I take it back then. I honestly don't know how this could happen unless either the table or shelf is off-balance.

There's always the chance that it could somehow be a defective table. It's the only thing no-one has mentioned yet so I'll throw it out there and hope it helps. I have a Pro-ject and haven't had one single problem with skipping or hum as a lot of people report. May be worth contacting your dealer and just checking?

Sounds like poor isolation, which is pretty common. You said you're in an apartment building, which is only going to have concrete sub floors on the bottom floor. So unless you're in a ground unit you're most likely going to have ply wood sub flooring, which is way more susceptible to foot falls and other isolation based problems. I had problems isolating a Project 1.3 in my upstairs living room (ply wood floors) and went the inner tube route (google bike inner tube turntable isolation) and it worked great. Eventually I moved that same table to my basement and the foot fall issue was non existent (concrete sub floors). A kid's bike inner tube and a piece of granite tile, building a sand box, wall mounting, or Allen's tennis ball suggestion are easy/cheap fixes. Or you can go the expensive fancy audiophile isolation feet route if you have the money. Or you could even buy a suspended turntable, like the AR I put in that upstairs living room I mentioned. The possibilities are endless(ly frustrating)! Good luck!

Wow you know what?! Ive been dealing with a Hum as well and cant find the source..

Ive had this table for a long time now..

I always thought maybe thats how it sounds.

I dont have top notch equipment im running my pro-ject through a sheerwood $100 receiver

And a pair of $50 sony bookshelf speakers. (Budget)

But the whole jumping/bouncing is making me lose my mind..

Maybe my table isnt level?