Assistance Amp Shopping

Hey everyone. I've been away for a while because I have been busy at school and away from my stereo!

My NAD 304 amp had developed this scratching going on in the right channel during the spring. I don't know if it is even cost efficient to have it looked at, so I am looking for a new, or gently used, stereo amp/reciever. I have never shopped for one before, this one was given to me with the B&W 303 speakers I bought when I got my turn table.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice, experience, or opinions that can help guide me through the process, and I'd prefer to buy as "risk free" as possible. I can't afford to go vintage or off craigslist and end up with something that doesn't work. My price range is probably in the $100-250 range.

On a side note, I was going to fix my computer but turns out I need a new MoBo and that, on top of the failing graphics card, would be really expensive and basically be a complete rebuild. I don't have that kind of money! I need music to get me through the winter =D

Thanks everyone!

that price range is going to make it pretty tough.  Basically any new integrated/receiver you find for under $250 is going to be junk.

If you are willing to consider a no-frills approach, you could try an Emotiva Mini-X-100 A for $220 and then add a phono preamp.  The Mini-X-100 A is a stand-alone amp with a volume control and a single input/output.  No remote control, no input switching, etc.

http://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/mini-x-100

You might be better off trying to figure out what's wrong with your NAD 304.  It could be something simple.

If the problem is with the amplifier section, you could continue to use it as a preamp in conjunction with something like the Mini-X-100 A.

Thank you both for the input. Since you mentioned it, I will def try to look around for someone who might be able to fix the NAD. I had orig. ruled that out just because I live in rural NW New Jersey and just dont see that kind of service around here anymore. The issue is only with the left channel(right speaker), and playing with the volume can cause/stop the issue with no real consistency.

Too bad I missed out on yard sale season, I might have been able to find something.

Thanks again!

Thank you both for the input. Since you mentioned it, I will def try to look around for someone who might be able to fix the NAD. I had orig. ruled that out just because I live in rural NW New Jersey and just dont see that kind of service around here anymore. The issue is only with the left channel(right speaker), and playing with the volume can cause/stop the issue with no real consistency.

Too bad I missed out on yard sale season, I might have been able to find something.

Thanks again!

Try some DeOxit or any other contact cleaner in the back of the volume control.

Make sure the power is off, been off for a good few minutes and is unplugged from the wall. Take the top of the amp off and spray the cleaner into the back of the control where the wires or solder pins exit (give it a good spray and don't worry about it going around the control as it evaporates). And give the control a good few turns back and forth from stop to stop and then leave it a while to fully evaporate. Put the top back on and power it back up (making sure you have left the volume turned down) and hopefully it should now be fine.