PO: Baroness - Purple

Ok, so I MAY be jumping the gun a bit here, but Baroness have started teasing on Facebook and Instagram about what is likely their new album.

They've been known to be recording for a while now, but it seems like they're gearing up to make some sort of announcement soon.

Yesterday we had this, with the words "Any colour you like":

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEX

And then just a moment ago this, with no explanation:

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEX

Where should I start with this band? Chronologically? I have been meaning to delve into their stuff for years but always end up putting it off.

The farther back you go, the more straight-up metal it gets (like, the first two EPs and their split with Unpersons is pretty metal). Red and Blue are just fucking triumphant hard rock, if you ask me, and Yellow & Green is a little more in the modern rock/Queens Of The Stone Age-type direction.

Where should I start with this band? Chronologically? I have been meaning to delve into their stuff for years but always end up putting it off.

Goddamn I love them all. Even though Yellow & Green probably has my favorite moments, Blue or Red would probably be better to start with since they're 1/2 as long.

Awesome, thanks for the answer, Scott. Going to throw some of their stuff on my phone when I get a chance.

I know it's probably not the answer that all Baroness fanboys will agree with, but you really don't need anything beyond Blue Record or Red Album.  Both are masterpieces, but I struggle to get into anything else.  Definitely stop after Blue, though.

The farther back you go, the more straight-up metal it gets (like, the first two EPs and their split with Unpersons is pretty metal). Red and Blue are just fucking triumphant hard rock, if you ask me, and Yellow & Green is a little more in the modern rock/Queens Of The Stone Age-type direction.

This is a pretty perfect concise assessment. I love the Red and Blue material and I love the First/Second/Third (Unpersons split) stuff. Yellow & Green is my least favorite but still generally great Rock. Each of the three eras has its own feel. I say start from the beginning and go all the way through.

I know it's probably not the answer that all Baroness fanboys will agree with, but you really don't need anything beyond Blue Record or Red Album. Both are masterpieces, but I struggle to get into anything else. Definitely stop after Blue, though.

Disagree, my dude. Green is my favorite.

I appreciate the input and glad it kicked off this sort of civil debate. There's about four people in this thread alone who I know somewhat share my taste in music. I feel like this will be a band I will end up liking.

In theory green/yellow should have just been one record. Cut out like 5 of those songs and you have a well rounded album.

Agreed.

1. Yellow Theme

2. Take My Bones Away

3. March To The Sea

4. Cocanium

5. Eula

6. Board Up The House

7. Psalms Alive

8. Stretchmarker

9. The Line Between

10. Green Theme

Now that's an album.