PO: Against Me! - New Wave LP (2015 Reissue - Charity)

Okay, so if these are called "official bootlegs", what's the official part?

They aren't bootlegs, nothing illegal happened since the license to press it was probably bought from Warner. I'm just coming to that conclusion based off Asbestos track record with reissues/releases which have all been legitimate presses with licenses from the likes of Universal and Warner.  So to think Asbestos would just start making bootlegs after a couple big releases is kind of silly.

The original issue that was raised(and then misconstrued into "official bootlegs") was that the band said in an interview they weren't involved with the reissue and seemed unhappy about it because they didn't get copies.  In the same interview it was also said that Warner gave them the rights/artwork/videos to their follow up record White Crosses but didn't offer to give up anything for this record New Wave.

Really dumb comment.

Are you one of those people that demands to know what films a person has made if they talk about how they don't like a certain movie as well?

How is my comment dumb? You said that "band copies are always given." This obviously isn't the case since it didn't happen here and there's multiple other examples of reissues on here where this hasn't happened either. I'm not saying it's right or wrong to send them copies. I asked what label you ran since you're commenting on how labels should run. 

On VC these things always ride a thin line between an honest concern for morality and a gross obsession with drama.

This is a forum that is more about the physical objects the music is stored on rather than people talking about the actual music itself. Is it not expected that the politics and peoples disappointments surrounding the release of said physical objects will be discussed? Also it's not like this is some new ***drama*** exclusive to VC/other similar forums; these kinds of things were hashed out in the MRR letters section years before the internet even existed.

Obviously people will look at these things differently. Some people will see things in a very black and white way, in that if someone has the rights to release a record then that's all 100% above board and there is no issue at all. Other people, perhaps people who are artists themselves, would look at this in a way that maybe it would be cool for the artist to be kept in the loop and for it to be more of a collaborative process, even though it doesn't actually technically need to be legally speaking. Like it would just be the nice thing to do, y'know?

This case in particular is worthy of thinking about because the artist involved is no longer the person that they were credited as, a person they feel like they never were according to most trans folk. Most trans folk also often talk about how they prefer to not be referred to as the name they previously went by (Laura has mentioned on twitter before that she would prefer her credits on label websites to be changed). If she was spoken to about this and didn't find out about it after the fact, it could have been worked through.

But this all really begs the question, is having affordable copies of this album available on vinyl more important that avoiding something that may very well deeply hurt a persons feelings? Obviously some people will care more about adding their sweet new limited edition colour reissue to their collection, but having empathy is not as out of line as some would suggest.

Are you one of those people that demands to know what films a person has made if they talk about how they don't like a certain movie as well?

You were telling someone who runs a label how labels are run, without personal experience. Someone calling you out on it isn't like demanding to know what films you have made if you don't like a certain movie, it's like demanding to know what films you have made if you tell someone who makes movies that they are doing it wrong. There's a difference between "subjectively criticizing something without having the know-how to make that something yourself" and "stating a process to make something is wrong if you have no experience with that or any other process to make that something".

Get your comparisons straight.  ;)

How is my comment dumb? You said that "band copies are always given." This obviously isn't the case since it didn't happen here and there's multiple other examples of reissues on here where this hasn't happened either. I'm not saying it's right or wrong to send them copies. I asked what label you ran since you're commenting on how labels should run. 

You were telling someone who runs a label how labels are run, without personal experience. Someone calling you out on it isn't like demanding to know what films you have made if you don't like a certain movie, it's like demanding to know what films you have made if you tell someone who makes movies that they are doing it wrong. There's a difference between "subjectively criticizing something without having the know-how to make that something yourself" and "stating a process to make something is wrong if you have no experience with that or any other process to make that something".

Get your comparisons straight.   ;)

I didn't tell anyone anything. I commented to no one in particular that a band should be given copies of their own records for their own personal collections when said records come into existence. I have only released records as one off releases not attached to a label, and my personal experiences come more from the book publishing side of things, but the etiquette is the same. If an artist creates something and you manufacture copies for sale, you should always send them a handful of copies for their personal collections. Is it really that jarring of a concept?

This is a forum that is more about the physical objects the music is stored on rather than people talking about the actual music itself. Is it not expected that the politics and peoples disappointments surrounding the release of said physical objects will be discussed? Also it's not like this is some new ***drama*** exclusive to VC/other similar forums; these kinds of things were hashed out in the MRR letters section years before the internet even existed.

Obviously people will look at these things differently. Some people will see things in a very black and white way, in that if someone has the rights to release a record then that's all 100% above board and there is no issue at all. Other people, perhaps people who are artists themselves, would look at this in a way that maybe it would be cool for the artist to be kept in the loop and for it to be more of a collaborative process, even though it doesn't actually technically need to be legally speaking. Like it would just be the nice thing to do, y'know?

This case in particularly is worthy of thinking about because the artist involved is no longer the person that they were credited as, a person they feel like they never were according to most trans folk. Most trans folk also often talk about how they prefer to not be referred to as the name they previously went by (Laura has mentioned on twitter before that she would prefer her credits on label websites to be changed). If she was spoken to about this and didn't find out about it after the fact, it could have been worked through.

But this all really begs the question, is having affordable copies of this album available on vinyl more important that avoiding something that may very well deeply hurt a persons feelings? Obviously some people will care more about adding their sweet new limited edition colour reissue to their collection, but having empathy is not as out of line as some would suggest.

I bet you have some bulletproof points in these 4 paragraphs. Unfortunately I won't be reading any of them ;)

I bet you have some bulletproof points in these 4 paragraphs. Unfortunately I won't be reading any of them ;)

That's a shame. It's readable.

Also, should AM! have received copies and been involved? Well, that would have been really nice. Is it mandatory? Of course not. However, IF I operated a label, I would reach out to the artist/ management with a "hi, I recently acquired the rights to _______. Do you have any requests, suggestions, or demands that are feasible/ legally acceptable?. Thanks for creating this and providing my label the opportunity to redistribute it. Best wishes, Love always- $40." Will I ever run a label? Probably not. I'm just saying.

The original issue that was raised(and then misconstrued into "official bootlegs") was that the band said in an interview they weren't involved with the reissue and seemed unhappy about it because they didn't get copies. 

To me, it seemed like Laura was unhappy about the re-pressing in general, not because they didn't get any copies.

• 1 month later...

I bought a lot that had doubles, anyone need these on the cheap?

• Against Me | Cavalier Eternal| Gold/1,117| 1st Pressing

• Against Me | Cavalier Eternal| Opaque Blue/870| 1st Pressing

• Against Me | Cavalier Eternal| Pink & Green Split/330| 3rd Pressing

• Against Me | Disco Before Breakdown| Pink & Green Split/330| 3rd Pressing

• Against Me | Disco Before The Breakdown| Light Yellow/138| 12th Pressing

•  

<p>

I bought a lot that had doubles, anyone need these on the cheap?

• Against Me | Cavalier Eternal| Gold/1,117| 1st Pressing

• Against Me | Cavalier Eternal| Opaque Blue/870| 1st Pressing

• Against Me | Cavalier Eternal| Pink & Green Split/330| 3rd Pressing

• Against Me | Disco Before Breakdown| Pink & Green Split/330| 3rd Pressing

• Against Me | Disco Before The Breakdown| Light Yellow/138| 12th Pressing

I'll take that CE blue and Disco pink and green. How much?

To me, it seemed like Laura was unhappy about the re-pressing in general, not because they didn't get any copies.

I can't remember the interview i listened to - but laura was upset that the Warner/Sire didnt allow AM! to reissue the album. Sire let them keep the rights to white crosses but not new wave. AM! Had been requesting the licensing rights to repress new wave on vinyl & kept getting denied then all of a sudden they gave asbestos the approval. I dont blame them for being upset - this album was advertised as black/yellow & looks more like black/orange- it looks like shit.

• 2 years later...