Do i need a preamp if i have a reciever?

Yes you would need a phono stage or phono pre (they are two names for the same thing wrongly refereed to as just a preamp in a lot of places). That Panasonic doesn't have one built in which is quite common for a lot of these sorts of receivers of this age.

You don't need to spend a fortune on one though, this one from Amazon will be more than good enough to use with that receiver and turntable.

http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PRO-PP444-Compact-Turntable-Preamp/dp/B004HJ1TTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441627089&sr=8-1&keywords=phono+pre&pebp=1441627095552&perid=0VCTPZR6EZKHWFSYQM99

Providing the stylus on the turntable is ok it will be perfectly good for listening to records on through headphones and if you add some speakers it would be a perfectly good start into the world of vinyl.

People start out with a lot worse but as I suspect you already know it's not the greatest quality and It won't exactly be high fidelity but it will be a lot better than a Crosley or some other cheap plastic abomination.

So would the reciever help at all? or should i just buy the record player separate from her and buy a cheap preamp? Is there any way to tell if the record player is working without a preamp? Im just looking for a gateway into vinyl collecting. Im 16 and like the music on vinyl but dont got the cash to dish out on a major sound system.

You would need the receiver to actually listen to the music. If you only had a turntable and preamp you wouldn't have any means to listen - the receiver hooks up to the speakers or headphones. If you want to go extremely cheap, you could start with both, pick up a cheap/used preamp, some cheap speakers or headphones (provided the receiver has a headphone jack) and you'd be good to go.

Unfortunately turntable setups are going to be a bunch more complicated than an iPod.

Like Allen said though, better to spend money on older stuff like this than thinking you're 'saving' by getting a cheap Crosley/Pyle/Fisher Price that plugs USB into your computer.

Alright so what i can gather is just to get some sound im gonna need a player, preamp and a reciever with the obvious need for a record and some headphones. Im waiting on a reply for where she is located and im gonna ask a few more questions. maybe see if she will go down to $30, considering i can buy something like a Audio Technica lp60 for $80 and wont really need a preamp or a reciever and i wont have to worry about the needle or the belt etc. Anyone know why when i searched what a reciever does everyone said its the same as a preamp? is that for a newer or better recievers or is the preamp in a reciever simply doesnt work on record players?

Two pieces of advice:

1. Read through page one of the beginner's guide as it will answer everything you're asking.

2. Once you have read it, you should realize that you should not buy the LP60.

Welcome to the confusing, frustrating and wallet emptying world of the quest for high fidelity audio

Normally yes point 1. But I'm in a typing mood this afternoon so I'll try and answer it without being too confusing and basically it's because a receiver contains a pre amp.

Any receiver is an integrated amplifier with a radio tuner in the same box and an integrated amplifier is a pre amplifier and power amplifier in the same box.

A pre amplifier as it's name suggests is the front (pre) stage of amplification so does all the input switching, volume control , tone control etc, this then outputs to the power amplifier which makes all the noise.

A phono stage is wrongly called a pre amp because it does do the same job but goes in front of the pre amp proper because the output from a turntable is lower than all other audio devices, a CD player, DVD player, tape deck, mp3 player, radio tuner, 8 track, computer, reel to reel, and elcasette etc. All output at what is commonly called line level. 

A high end system quite often has the phono stage, pre amp and power amps in separate boxes and always has the radio tuner in a separate box.

And point.2 yes the LP60 isn't Audio Technica's finest work so even if your Technics needs a new stylus and a new belt it's still the better option. 

So you need a preamp to make the record players audio loud enough that the reciever can use it and it can be the cheapest preamp out there since its just functioning as a simple amplifier to make it line level. I think i understand it now. I guess this person probably has it and just doesnt know that they do. Once they text me back with their area ill probably mention that they have it and that i would prefer them to throw it in.

Basically yes but not strictly as the quality of all the components in any audio system are equally as important as each other and yes they probably do have one or it wouldn't work at all.

The quality of any audio system is dependant on all the other links in the chain so if you have a really expensive phono stage with a cheap turntable, receiver/amplifier and speakers you will be wasting your expensive phono stage as you won't hear the difference but if you have a really expensive turntable, receiver/amplifier and speakers with a cheap phono stage you will be wasting your whole system as the cheap phono stage will drag everything down to it's level.

All the components in the chain need to be of a similar quality.

Alright, if they ever decide to text me back ill talk to them about throwing in the preamp, or atleast coming down a little so i can buy a cheap one off amazon. Just wanting to get started not trying to spend a few grand lol

That's how it always starts, then it's a slippery slope to lots of shiny things and no money