Alexisonfire Watch Out quality issues

bridley

A few shops around Toronto have gotten restocked on Watch Out, not sure if other places have copies available but I'm wondering if I'm alone in my recent experience as I'm having a quality issue.

I picked one up last night, played it this morning and the first few minutes of side A and B had a slight warp that was significant enough to cause the stylus to hop off the album. Returned it for a replacement today and this new copy has the same issue, but on both A/B and C/D.

Just curious if anyone else has run into this?

..like toronto.. hasnt there been a bit of a heat-wave there lately.

Yeah, up until Saturday we were full on into a late season heat wave - so it's definitely possible. Something else I noticed on the two copies I've gone through and about 5 unopened copies at a different store is that the outline of the LPs are clearly moulded into the cardboard. Not typical ring wear with fading, but the covers were all shaped by the LPs - a sign of higher pressure on the records from being jamming together in shipping/storage, or maybe an issue with shrinkwrapping thick double LPs.

Anyway, I'm gonna stop stewing on this... I finally have time to go back today and return the replacement, hoping for a refund rather than a third replacement. Tried it again this morning... problem didn't magically fix itself, unfortunately. I also went though a dozen or so LPs (33rpm and 45rpm) and they all played flawlessly. 

I should consider myself lucky that in all my time buying records from 1995 until now, I haven't had a single issue until this.

I bought Watch Out! at the end of August and the jacket has a reverse impression (or whatever you would call it) of the records, too, though my records aren't warped (at least A/B, just getting around to listening to it now).

Hopefully you can find a copy that isn't warped.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. C/D has a horrible edge warp and my stylus jumps around all over the place. I bought mine from HMV and they won't do refunds or returns on opened vinyl. No idea what to do now.

I bought Watch Out! at the end of August and the jacket has a reverse impression (or whatever you would call it) of the records, too, though my records aren't warped (at least A/B, just getting around to listening to it now).

Hopefully you can find a copy that isn't warped.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. C/D has a horrible edge warp and my stylus jumps around all over the place. I bought mine from HMV and they won't do refunds or returns on opened vinyl. No idea what to do now.

This gives me two feelings: I'm bummed that it happened to you and that you have no recourse. However, I'm relieved that I'm not losing my mind.

I really hate that stores will outright refuse to help a customer in situations like this. 

Success, finally.

Third copy works well... the first 10-15 seconds of Accidents has a slight variation in audio every rotation... Only very noticeable to me because I was expecting it I think.

Needless to say though - maybe don't buy a new copy of Watch Out around Toronto unless the place has an customer friendly return policy.

I've got to give some love to the folks at Dead Dog Records here in Toronto for putting up with the issue and just handing over copies until I found one that was playable.