Advice Needed - Buying Records on eBay (Iron Maiden - ish).

redsonja

Hey RedSonja,

Ok, if you want members opinions, here is mine.

If you want the four "playable" records, just keep the lot. Cut your losses, and just NEVER bid on anything else from this guy. Also be leery of dealers that say "everything" is "near mint,"

or in this case, everything is EXACTLY the same "EX" grade.

There are always variance in the condition of records, unless these have the same original owner, and they only played them once or twice to record onto tape. I only ran into ONE collection that was treated this way, and I bought just about everything that I wanted from it, and even upgraded a few records. :)

Trade away the junk records for other junk records, frame them on the wall or "chuck em," unless you want to save a box to sell for £1 each at a flea market, or a record fair you may go in with someone for a table.

I have re-bought records I loved because there was a significant "condition" upgrade, and the price was right.

I have sold the records I have replaced for next to nothing, but a few for 3 times what I paid. I am very conservative with my grading. Most records have "something" wrong with them. :lol:

What counts is you are listening to records, and enjoying them, and now it sounds like you have some "stories" to go along with them.

Enjoy the ones that work, and if you are looking for "originals," make some weekend trips to some "record fairs." Because of my own disappointments, I rarely buy used originals through the mail anymore, unless I "know the seller," it is uber cheap, or I buy from Diverse Vinyl. They grade more "conservatively" than I do, and you can tell that from just looking at their "nearly new" list. Nothing is "Near Mint," and there are only a few records on their lists that are even EX. (The "EX" Pixies and Smiths albums I bought from them were "Mint" to my eyes. :D)

Considering all the other transactions that went well, you seem to do better on e-Bay than I do. ;)

Haha, Plarocks, thanks for that :) I guess you've got a fair few stories too then? On one hand that's exactly what I keep thinking I should do, but on the other it just feels like lying down and taking it to me, which I just can't quite get passed. It feels like the seller has knowingly sold shitty records and lied about them continually (and still does in the face of the evidence), but hey, the buyer should just take it and lose out? I'm not a fan of that approach, but part of me does kinda go 'well, to keep the peace maybe ...'.

I've just read the entire thread, looked at the pictures, and followed the link to the seller's original listing. I know we've talked about this briefly in private, but I just wanted to say that if this guy was happy to tell you that he'd listened to them, that they were in amazing condition and didn't even need cleaning (jesus ...), before you bought them or he sent them out, then you have every right to either a full refund, a partial refund, or as you suggested, a partial refund for the return of the defective records only. And the seller should most definitely cover the p+p costs. If it were me, I would insist that he does this in advance, and if he isn't willing to communicate I'd take it over to eBay and insist on the same resolution. Why should you lose out because of this joker?

Seriously, it's completely unacceptable to send records out like this and list them as EX/NM, let alone PM the buyer insisting that they are, even when faced with the photos that clearly show they're not. To call the buyer a liar and a 'blackmailer' over it is just downright immature and, really, pretty devious. It sounds like he's actually trying to shift the blame onto you. He's definitely getting added to my list of 'never ever buy froms'.

Haha, Plarocks, thanks for that :) I guess you've got a fair few stories too then? On one hand that's exactly what I keep thinking I should do, but on the other it just feels like lying down and taking it to me, which I just can't quite get passed. It feels like the seller has knowingly sold shitty records and lied about them continually (and still does in the face of the evidence), but hey, the buyer should just take it and lose out? I'm not a fan of that approach, but part of me does kinda go 'well, to keep the peace maybe ...'.

All true, BUT if you want to keep the four of them, that is the "easiest" way to do that.

Otherwise, if you think you can find the four copies you need in playable condition for what you gave this joker, then send 'em ALL back. ;)

All true, BUT if you want to keep the four of them, that is the "easiest" way to do that.

Otherwise, if you think you can find the four copies you need in playable condition for what you gave this joker, then send 'em ALL back. ;)

My thoughts exactly, if you're not happy with his service in general then send them all back and get your money back which you can then spend with someone that gives you the sort of service you should be getting.

All of these records were pressed in high enough numbers that you shouldn't have to drop your standards just to get a copy.

He's definitely getting added to my list of 'never ever buy froms'.

Same here and looking at his auctions I get the feeling he buys collections in and then uses ebay to offload what he doesn't want so the chances are he's not looking at them in any detail or playing that many to check condition.

Thanks Raye, and everyone! To be honest I think that the four records I want to keep would probably cost me £15 each anyway maybe more in EX condition and since those four are more or less okay apart from the dust which isn't audible, especially now I've cleaned them up (although I might take them to a record shop with a professional cleaning machine, just to make sure) I think at the very least I'll just keep them and block the seller if he won't accept a part return. I guess he's just hoping he'll get them all back so he can relist them as NM again and sell for the same price...

Edit: I guess the funny thing is I had to use my friend's partner's eBay account for all of this, and I cringe when I think what he's had to deal with. Needless to say it's very unlikely they'll let me do that again!