MOONSHAKE RECORDS THREAD.

Satan

I love bootlegs of music that wouldn't otherwise ever be pressed. There, I said it.

That's exactly why I support him. There are a couple of companies, indie labels, that have singled him out as the biggest problem in the industry, but he's tried to get the licenses, and it's not like they're going to get them either. I don't see the big issue, personally, I mean, yeah, they're boots, and I wish they were licensed, but they weren't/aren't coming out otherwise, and he's a pretty cool guy. Just my two cents. 

but he's tried to get the licenses, [...] I don't see the big issue,

I don't give a shit if he's bootlegging stuff, but this has always been the lamest excuse ever.

Here's an example of this scenario applied to you. Ready?:

Somebody steals your car. You report it to the police and the guy says, "Well I tried to buy it from him, but he wouldn't sell it to me, so I stole it."

The police say, "Yup, checks out. Sorry, dude, it's his car now."

See how that works? Theft is still theft whether you try to buy something first or not, and whether it's real property, or intellectual property.

Anyway, like I said, I don't give a shit about him bootlegging, but that's a terrible reason to get behind it.

I don't give a shit if he's bootlegging stuff, but this has always been the lamest excuse ever.

Here's an example of this scenario applied to you. Ready?:

Somebody steals your car. You report it to the police and the guy says, "Well I tried to buy it from him, but he wouldn't sell it to me, so I stole it."

The police say, "Yup, checks out. Sorry, dude, it's his car now."

See how that works? Theft is still theft whether you try to buy something first or not, and whether it's real property, or intellectual property.

Anyway, like I said, I don't give a shit about him bootlegging, but that's a terrible reason to get behind it.

Except that's a terrible comparison. Seriously, it's not the same at all. So here's a good comparison:

It'd be much more like if I owned the patent for a car, and some guy starts making cars using my patent, but for much cheaper, and is taking business away from me. He's keeping it small, and maybe I'm not even making money from that division right now, but I could be, and I'm losing that money because of him. Money maybe I need, maybe I don't. Doesn't matter: I'm losing that potential revenue stream, and somebody else is gaining from it. Furthermore anybody who buys cars from that guy are getting a potentially inferior product, and aren't protected by consumer rights laws, which could potentially leave my company with bad reputation, though I did nothing wrong.

If I go to the cops, they'll ask him to stop, but I'll potentially never be able to recoup the damages, and now I've got a product tainted by an outside source which ends up costing me money.

Or it's like I'm a no name artist, and Target steals my design and makes millions, and I can do nothing about it because I can't afford the legal fees,so I just get screwed and my career ruined for being derivative, when it was my art, (true account that).

That's what it's like. Saying it's like having my car stolen is as bad as those ridiculous Hollywood warnings before films. It's absolutely different, and bootlegging can be potentially more damaging depending on the scope it's being sold at, to be fair, and that's why it's prosecuted different in courts.

So yeah, I stand by what I said.

It's like having a patent for a car that uses no fossil fuels and runs forever solely on curse words, but that you have zero interest in manufacturing, but a small population of the world wants it, so someone else makes it, you lose nothing, you could have made it and sold some, but it didn't suit your fancy.

This thread is hilarious, always.

Yup. Only a matter of time before it's locked.

Edit: in my defense, my example is actually much more damaging monetarily, and potentially psychological, so it wasn't actually a good defense at all. Just me pointing out that I know I'm a douche, and I stand by that fact.

It's like having a patent for a car that uses no fossil fuels and runs forever solely on curse words, but that you have zero interest in manufacturing, but a small population of the world wants it, so someone else makes it, you lose nothing, you could have made it and sold some, but it didn't suit your fancy.

The fossil set was always better than the basic. I loved Onyx.