MOONSHAKE RECORDS THREAD.

Satan

rooks is being civil, cheers man

I really wasn't ever calling anyone out for buying them or anything. I even said in my first post that I knew everyone was going to support him anyway :\.

Everyone accusing me of "taking it too seriously" when they are the ones attacking haha. I'm just chatting.

I'm just gonna add into the discussion here that throughout the whole thing I've found Sean to be nothing but professional towards me. In fact I've had a better "service" than I have from actual legitimate companies. Take that however you will, but I do feel like beyond all the bootleg "debates" he is a decent guy just trying to make a product that, for the most part, wouldn't see the light of day.

Also I know that a lot of the discussion seems to be centred around royalties and payment to the composers, but everyone seems to be missing that he has repeatedly pointed out that when this hasn't been possible, any profit has pretty much gone to charity. I can't speak for everyone, but I can bet he's probably donated more to charity than a lot of others here have, and that surely has to have some merit.

Seriously, what did I do to you personally for you to have such a vendetta against me? Did bootleggers murder your parents as a child? I just dont understand how you can absolutely hate me and everything Ive made with such fevor. They are fucking game soundtracks for christsakes. You speak like Im Al Capone or something. 

Also, meanwhile Do-Jo music repressed the $20 Super Mario Bros 7" for like the 80th time, which is a counterfeit of an actual record that already exists, not even something specfically designed by them, and you are completely fine with that. 

It's a long post in response too your long e-mail. Do-jo is bad, but at least they represent the products to match the franchise. While you're here, why can't you just ditch the bootlegs and go legit? You're representing products fans love, I think everyone would rather you made the most of it. It's something you've invested so much into and have the potential to go right direction with, how can you have respect for the composers when you say it's just 'fucking video game soundtracks'? Come on mate.

But they are just fucking video game soundtracks. You can love something and still realize how in the grand-scheme of things it is absolutely trivial. I mean, the last 4 pages of this thread testifies to that fact. 

Everything is trivial in the grand-scheme of things and people are making about as much of a big deal about it as he does in his e-mails.

I'm not taking any sides on this (mainly because it's not a productive debate) but I'm sure Sean would have gone the legit route for these releases if he could have. It's just not that easy to acquire licences from big publishers (trust me, I know). Most of the time you will end up shouting into the ether because the corporation is just so huge that you can't get in front of the right person.

Again, that's not me making excuses for bootlegging, it's purely aimed at the "why don't you just go legit" question. I feel pretty confident saying that most if not all legit labels would never be able to secure a license from the likes of Nintendo (which isn't an excuse to go bootleg a record but here we are).

I'm not taking any sides on this (mainly because it's not a productive debate) but I'm sure Sean would have gone the legit route for these releases if he could have. It's just not that easy to acquire licences from big publishers (trust me, I know). Most of the time you will end up shouting into the ether because the corporation is just so huge that you can't get in front of the right person.

Again, that's not me making excuses for bootlegging, it's purely aimed at the "why don't you just go legit" question. I feel pretty confident saying that most if not all legit labels would never be able to secure a license from the likes of Nintendo (which isn't an excuse to go bootleg a record but here we are).

Took the words out of my mouth. Great summary.

STS emailed me from the start with an extremely hostile letter saying how they had the mother license FROM NINTENDO and that they were going to sue me if I put it out because they now owned the rights to it.

I was already planning to remove two tracks from the album previously

so I spitefully put the track back on the album

So they asked you to remove the tracks that you were going to remove anyway, but you didn't like their business practices so you put it on there to spite them.

That sounds like it worked out well.