MOONSHAKE RECORDS THREAD.

Satan

BRIEF HISTORY

- Moonshake starts with good intentions, Mega Man 2 record produced, receives a lot of attention, more profit potential. Small project for music that at the time we never thought we would see on vinyl. Generally a dick to people on the internet, huge ego.

- Gains a lot of attention, creates a big Zelda run, no intention of giving any composers money, people begin questioning him. Outlines his upcoming releases, continues to act like a dick.

- Receives a lot of negative attention, Ship to Shore realizes he's using a licensed Mother track on the upcoming NES release, they ask for him to remove it, Moonshake doesn't comply. Goes ahead and plays the victim card, changes his tone, suddenly all his profit now goes to the original artist/charity so he isn't the bad guy.

- Gains even more attention, goes forward with Castlevania and NES Greatest Hits releases, outlines his next Pokemon release, rants on his mailing list, empty promises of licensing releases and handing his profit to the composers. Continues to play the victim card, claims people are treating him unfairly and rants about how other companies don't give a penny to the composers.

- Releases Pokemon, receives even more attention, continues to play the victim card, no word on money to composers, no luck in getting licenses, claims there is a troll man-hunt, continues his inflated 'I'm a miracle' attitude.

I had no problem with Sean's project at the beginning but he's inflated this whole thing with his ego even though none of what he is doing is his own work, he has mislead his fans and has only shaped his intentions when he was put on the spot. The work I've seen every other company who releasing game music takes a lot more effort and practically does a lot more hard work than he has ever done. DataDiscs releases are tributes to the game with official art, everything represented perfectly, yet Moonshake's releases are generally just a tribute to himself.

This thread was great reading, thanks everybody. 

P.S. If anyone has a copy of Mega Man, Zelda, or Pokemon that they'd part with I'd love to score a copy for less than the nutty ebay prices. Probably wishful thinking on my part but I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw that out there. 

Yo Pokémon is still up on his Bigcartel if you want it in Poké Ball and Great Ball variants.

Regardless of whether what he did was legal or illegal or wrong or right or whatever, another label going out of their way to badmouth him every chance they got, contacting stores to make sure they pull his records, and posting his home address online and telling people to pay him a visit (unless of course that guy isn't associated with STS) is lame. There are many vinyl bootleggers out there and tons of people selling unlicensed merchandise on Etsy and similar sites, and STS doesn't seem to give a shit about them, they just have a personal vendetta against Moonshake and it comes across as really pathetic how they handled it. Feel free to disagree, I'm sure you will.

This, whatever you think, this has damaged STS's reputation. The fact they sent everybody on his original mailing list (because he failed to use BCC on accident) an email "thanking them" for "Signing up" for their mailing list for their upcoming Kickstarter campaign was really, really awful. I am not sure if I still have the email, but I do remember thinking, "I never signed up for this..." and then about 2 hours later got an email from Sean stating his list had been "stolen" for this purpose. Whether STS sent out that email, or one of their buddies did, it really hurt their reputation from the get go. 

So, does anyone here bashing Ship to Shore have any actual proof of them stalking the dude other than leaving a negative star rating on Discogs or not being too happy about him using a track from an album that they spent a long time working to secure the rights to?

I've bought a couple of their releases (the two Mother games, Manos and Martin) and all of them have been pretty nicely put together. They could use a better pressing plant, but that's my only qualm. 

They're products look great. Seriously, I've weighed in on buying Mother 2 several times. But that's not my problem. My problem is going out of their way to badmouth somebody. It just looks bad, and seems childish, and I did follow them and a few others on Instagram for a bit. Also they did hijack his original mailing list (originally comprised of NintendoAge members) as I mentioned previously, or somebody related to them with info about their "upcoming KS campaign" did at the least. I can't say whether they were involved with any of the rest of it, and I would never say definitively they were, but that really tarnished my ability to believe anything they posted afterwards, and their posts on Instagram and other social media singling him out, without any apparent reason other than "he's a dirty bootlegger", really makes me hesitant to support them.

It's not that I care they're jumping a guy for doing something illegal, but going out of your way to attack anybody, for really any reason, on social media, makes me hesitant to support your cause. In fact I jumped on buying more copies of Sean's releases because of the overly critical posts made by his critics. You don't see Iam8bit, Mondo or Data Discs or Black Screen Records doing any of that. They're perfectly aware of him too, they'd have to be at this point, but they don't do that. Because it's not good for business, and it actually hurts your cause, and causes criticism of the people posting it. 

Honestly if STS just came down here and said, "Hey, that pre-Kickstarter campaign email was not from us," or "Hey that Kickstarter Campaign email was a huge screw up, and our bad," I'd believe them, or forgive them, but to call somebody out for bad business, while having that black mark on the record is kind of hard for me to move past. 

So is this where everyone tells him to chill out for typing too much or is that only when someone disagrees and you have nothing to say?

Anyways, what's this about Sean using a Mother track that Sts licensed for their release? That sounds juicy and more of a reason for the stalking.

The Mother track was Pollyanna, I think, on the NES Greatest Hits record. STS licensed the entire arrange album from Sony, who still had rights to it. Pollyanna is on the D Side medley, but not individually licensed. Essentially people could have bought the Moonshake release for this one track, instead of having to find it on the D Side of the arrangement. I can see why STS wouldn't like this, but technically they don't have the rights to that single track, because that would have had to have come from Nintendo.

Still doesn't make it legal on his end even if they don't have the specific legal rights to one song, but I could definitely see why they'd get up in arms. The other stuff though is what bugs me though.