Going to Europe, Anyone have any advice? Stores, locations?

So I am going to Europe, I will start in Amsterdam then to Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich and lastly Paris. 

Does anyone have any shops to recommend? I have been doing some searching and it seems like many of the large or highly recommended ones cater mainly to DJ / Techno / Disco stuff. 

Have you looked at www.vinylhub.com? I've glanced at that before heading to new cities and had some good luck. You may want to target an area and ask when in the record store about others.

I've been to most of those cities, and Berlin is an absolute favourite (and a city where you can spend two weeks and still have more to do). Never been to Dresden or Salzburg, but I have to say that out of all of those, I was the least excited about Munich and Amsterdam (though for the latter, it was mostly the teenage tourists that made it less appealing). You'll have a blast!

Have you looked at www.vinylhub.com? I've glanced at that before heading to new cities and had some good luck. You may want to target an area and ask when in the record store about others.

I've been to most of those cities, and Berlin is an absolute favourite (and a city where you can spend two weeks and still have more to do). Never been to Dresden or Salzburg, but I have to say that out of all of those, I was the least excited about Munich and Amsterdam (though for the latter, it was mostly the teenage tourists that made it less appealing). You'll have a blast!

Thanks so much for all the advise guys!, yes I am also not hugely excited for Munich, it's a one day stop we required in order to fly to Paris, flights out of Salzburg were really really pricey. 

For Berlin:

Coretex

Dodo Beach

Leila M

There also other good record stores in Berlin, depending what music you prefer.

I hit up cortex and dodo when i was there. Good chocies. I found alot of random techno and all varieties of it stores that isint my thing. I would walk into a shop that was blasting drum and bass and have like one rack of 20 records and it was a record store. I just slowly backed out before i got roped into a conversation wjth the clerk

Thanks so much for all the advise guys!, yes I am also not hugely excited for Munich, it's a one day stop we required in order to fly to Paris, flights out of Salzburg were really really pricey. 

Munich is not so bad - just not so exciting beyond a day or so. If you like beer and/or meat, it's a pretty cool place to be. Smallish downtown that should be easy to see in a few hours. Cool museums there too, if I remember.

Re: hostels - 

I kind of love them. I traveled all of Europe for 6 weeks in 2006 alone, and then for a month in 2009 with my girlfriend (now wife). We mostly stayed in hostels and it was a fun and easy way to meet people, get cheap food and laundry, and stay in areas that weren't so overwhelming. The existence of the internet has made it so that you can usually avoid the dingy ones and stay at places that are interesting and well-reviewed. Creepy, unsafe, dirty hostels will rarely last anymore with too many negative reviews. One of my favourite things to do, mostly when travelling with my wife, was to get a private room in a hostel. All the fun of the social atmosphere of a hostel, none of the sharing bunkbeds with 18 year olds.

Amsterdam: Independent Outlet, Velvet Music, Waxwell, Record Friend.

Berlin: Bis Auf Messer, HHV.de, Audio-In, CoreTex, City Music.

Munich: Echt Optimal, Schallplatten Zentrale.

Paris: MusicFearSatan.

Amsterdam has bunch of cheap hostels in the dowtown area. Just make sure to book it a few months before the trip.

You can try the Generator Hostel in Berlin, quite cheap and one minute away from the s-Bahn.

There was a good Paris list on the Discogs forums somewhere, I used it myself and it was kept pretty up to date.

Also there is a region of Paris that has quite a few 2nd hand record stores in and I found it from one of them advertising on the Metro but can't remember where it is now. I do remember you do have to dig through quite a lot of rubbish to find the gems though. I did make a list the last time I was there so if I can find it I will post it for you.

I agree with Musicfearsatan in Paris

Didn't see much in Pargue

Berlin has a ton of options really cool city. There seemed to be a good deal of them in the Neukölln

I sincerely hope you're taking a train from Amsterdam to Berlin. AMS security is brutal. 100% by the book. Lost my contact solution because it was slightly over the limit. Never had an issue in the U.S. or any other EU airport with that solution.

Do a search for the European record store day and you should be able to find a good list of stores.

Have fun!

Ps. Don't exchange money, you'll get a better rate withdrawling from an ATM in the EU. and take a CC that has zero foreign transaction fee and always pay in local currency with a CC the conversion rate for paying in USD is awful when offered by a company other than your bank or CC provider.

Didn't notice you're also visiting Prague.

Rekomando is the only place I would go to if I was you (http://www.rekomando.eu/kontakt)

Haven't been there in a long time but it is pretty close to the Dancing House (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_House) so you're probably going to be close to it anyways.

The rest of the shops were just overpriced with a terrible selection.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Moglog said:

I'll have to resist buying a lot of records since I don't know how I'll get them back to the states. 

Carry on luggage. Don't be shy.

Get a big backpack and one of these spinner trolleys and fill them with wax. Nobody will care.

Edited by Korgull Of Morgoth